Thread: Cardio question

map200uk is offline Anabolic Member

Cardio question

hi,

i do my cardio on the days i don't train - ideally id go in the AM on an empty stomach, however it's not possible for me to get to the gym then..

my question would be, what should I have before I go to the gym for my cardio?

I have to walk 30mins to get there too - not sure what i shoudl have though, obviously not my normal pre workout meal i.e. oats

same applies to post, what do you guys have post cardio?? just a whey shake?

cheers

map

I too do cardio in the mornings but, unlike you I also do cardio on my lifting days. I'm a bit chunky by nature so to combat this I try to have zero carbs prior to my cardio so that hopefully I'm burning stored fat for energy. I do consume a moderate amount of simple carbs immediately following my cardio session (1/2 a CARBOFORCE beverage). Then I have a 1/2 cup of oats blended into a whey protien shake that contains frozen fruit, peanut butter, splenda, plain lowfat yogurt and psyllium fiber. If you need a pre workout carb boost try some kind of carbo load drink, I like them because they are not filling and provide the dextrose and maltodextrin to give you a boost. The thirty minutes of walking will probably give you enough time for the carbs to kick in. If you're concerned about burning your fat stores like me, you might want to just drink a portion of the total carb drink as many of them have 100gr total carbs or more. Hope it helps

cheers buddy, so pre cardio i could just have a shake!

could i just use some dextroses/maltro then for after as i don't have anything else to hand? how much would you use

thanks

Yeah, you could have a shake for the pre workout. What you put in it is up to you. For person into the shake "thing" there is a different recipe. If I have anything at all it would only be a low carb whey protien drink. Thats only if my stomach feels like its stuck to my backbone prior to workout. I drink half a carbo force right after my cardio because usually I'm completely wiped out yet my stomach is too queezy to handle the shake I described above. The carb drink I was suggesting that you might look into, as a preworkout boost contains both dextrose and maltodextrine at a ratio of about 2:1 Malto dextrin:dextrose. They are cheap, less than 2.00 us, and the dextrose really kicks in fast. As far as how many grams of carbs, I usually consume half the container about 50 grams total carbohydrate immediately after cardio.

I was wrong about the carb ratio in Carbo force, the drink I was talking about here are the ingredients: Product Facts:
    Serving Size: 1 Bottle (18 fl oz) % Daily Value
    Calories - 440 Total Carbohydrate - 110g 37% Sugars - 33g ** Vitamin C - 90mg(as ascorbic acid) 150% Thiamin - 0.75mg (as thiamin mononitrate) 50% Riboflavin - 0.85mg 50% Niacin - 10mg (as niacinamide) 50% Vitamin B6 - 1mg (as pyridoxine hydrochloride) 3% Pantothenic Acid - 5mg (as d-calcium pantothenate) 3% Phosphorus - 26mg (as potassium phosphate) 3% Chromium - 120mcg (as chromium picolinate) 100% Sodium - 130mg (from water & maltodextrin) 5% Potassium - 450mg (as gluconate, phosphate) 9% Proprietary CarboMet Blend - 1350mg

theshiz777 is offline Junior Member
    I like a multi vit, and a banana, with a tall glass of water.

That too Would be a great combo a great combo.

Quote Originally Posted by youngNhungry View Post
    Yeah, you could have a shake for the pre workout. What you put in it is up to you. For person into the shake "thing" there is a different recipe. If I have anything at all it would only be a low carb whey protien drink. Thats only if my stomach feels like its stuck to my backbone prior to workout. I drink half a carbo force right after my cardio because usually I'm completely wiped out yet my stomach is too queezy to handle the shake I described above. The carb drink I was suggesting that you might look into, as a preworkout boost contains both dextrose and maltodextrine at a ratio of about 2:1 Malto dextrin:dextrose. They are cheap, less than 2.00 us, and the dextrose really kicks in fast. As far as how many grams of carbs, I usually consume half the container about 50 grams total carbohydrate immediately after cardio.
    Thanks, i thought carbs i.e. dextrose after cardio would be a bad idea though?!

i thought it wouldn't aid in the fat loss, maybe im wrong-:|

Thread Information