RBIZZY is offline Member

your favorite bulking workout

i am trying to put together a good, basic bulking workout. i want to focus on chest development, and leg development (calfs expecially). i would also like to use alot of dumbells due to the fact that my right pec is bigger than my left, and my right arm is smaller than my left. i would also like for my upper chest to show more. i can work out whenever. i just feel like i have been doing the same workouts forever. any help is appriciated. thanks

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    If I could only do three exercise I would do bench, squat, and deads. Those are my favorites....

RBIZZY is offline Member
    i havnt really implied free squats or deads due to the fact that i scared to hurt something and be put out of the game for awhile while on cycle. i do like smith squats though

im here to learn is offline Junior Member
    maybe try heavy incline dumbbells to start chest, 5x6
    followed quickly by incline barbell 5x12-16 (minimal break between sets)

Sherman01 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    If I could only do three exercise I would do bench, squat, and deads. Those are my favorites....
    Agreed. Add shoulder press and pullups and really everything is covered. The rest is frosting~

sizerp is offline Banned
    For calves do a lot of reps. Standing calf raises, seated, sled, etc. Do like 6 sets of 15-30. Make it burn lol.

JAYROD is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    i agree and these are probably the best three for overall mass and i also love chins and i think they are underrated as a big time upper body movement for adding some serious mass.

im here to learn is offline Junior Member
    well rbizzy, have you had time to implement any suggestions thus far, hows it going for you?

ClubberLangsUncle is offline Junior Member
    Hmm, for flat bench, whats more benificial, dumbells or barbell, also is the decline just as beneficial as the flat, seems I can get more reps in at the same weight with declines then a flat bench.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    For me, DB over barbells 10 out of 10 times unless you are a powerlifter. As for declines, one of the top ten worst exercises ever created for bodybuilding in my opinion.

Jakspro is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    For me, DB over barbells 10 out of 10 times unless you are a powerlifter. As for declines, one of the top ten worst exercises ever created for bodybuilding in my opinion.
    I'm rather familiar about the argument that dumbbells provide better range of motion, and in general, impairs the chances of injury. However, what are your thoughts on decline? I don't incorporate them in my workouts currently but was thinking of putting them in rotation soon.

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    personally my chest is strong i can flat bench 385 lbs (i did tear my pec minor so i have not gone heavey in a long time 6 months) for what ever reason the decline doesnt hurt the tear as much as flat and incline bench (i cant even dream of dumb bells, the pain would kill me) ... so i have been focused on cables, light bench and decline for chest and i am sure the decline has almost dubbled the size of my chest, i finally have some "hang" off my upper abs ... but, for sure every one responds dif so that is just my expirence...

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    here is a chest pic from a month a go, i was wearing cycling bibs, i was riding in 45 degree weather... so be nice on the jokes... 50 % of my work out is decline chest fyi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails your favorite bulking workout-me123.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Jakspro View Post
    I'm rather familiar about the argument that dumbbells provide better range of motion, and in general, impairs the chances of injury. However, what are your thoughts on decline? I don't incorporate them in my workouts currently but was thinking of putting them in rotation soon.
    I believe it tends to overdevelop the lower pecs which is all too prevalent these days. I prefer sticking to incline movements personally.

Quote Originally Posted by amcon View Post
    here is a chest pic from a month a go, i was wearing cycling bibs, i was riding in 45 degree weather... so be nice on the jokes... 50 % of my work out is decline chest fyi
    I dont know dude, between that picture and the one in your avatar I think I am seeing some dress code issues here... JK

Lots of incline work, zero decline work. Pic is from a couple years ago and is the result of 100% natural training.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails your favorite bulking workout-chest.jpg  

When you say 'lots of incline work', what specifically do you mean? 2:1 on incline to flat bench? Interchanging different exercises (flys, presses, cables, ect.).

Normal workout would be 4 sets of incline DB presses followed by 3 sets of flat DB flys done with emphasis on the upper pecs. Thats it. I will throw in some cable crossovers the last 8 weeks before a show.

Sweet. Pretty much my routine, except I'm using BB for the incline. I'm assuming you go pretty heavy on the DB presses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakspro View Post
    Sweet. Pretty much my routine, except I'm using BB for the incline. I'm assuming you go pretty heavy on the DB presses.
    Actually no, I am not that strong and have rather small joints. I do them with a full range of motion, (DB touch the armpit crease). I will work up to 7-9 reps with a set of 105's but cant go much heavier than that.

lol... i know the shirt in the avatar was to just get a good shot of my back, most tanks dont give that much skin to show... my nipples show in the front to & no i wont show you that one... lol nice pics - those were nat? nice job very hard and great chest development, for me the growth came from decline.

Quote Originally Posted by amcon View Post
    lol... i know the shirt in the avatar was to just get a good shot of my back, most tanks dont give that much skin to show... my nipples show in the front to & no i wont show you that one... lol nice pics - those were nat? nice job very hard and great chest development, for me the growth came from decline.
    Yes, 100% Natural, not even a diuretic.

Pectorial is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    Lots of incline work, zero decline work. Pic is from a couple years ago and is the result of 100% natural training.
    now i know why you jumped the gun on my natural pics thread lol...

some people might not like me for saying what im about to say but..

i have alot more respect for all natural body builders.

sorry for thread hijack

well you got to give respect to a guy who did that natural!!!!!!!!! ... however, to me that is like walking to the store 100 mile away - when you have a perfectly good corvett in the drive way. lol - it is a huge compliment to do that natural -

7 sets isnt many on the chest??? how often do u train chest? 2 x week?

Once a week like every other muscle. I used to do more but as I have gotten older I have found I need more recovery time.

Thread Information