Thread: outer tri's

JucinNB is offline New Member

outer tri's

Hey guys with my regular tricep routine i feel a good burn in my inner tricep but not on my outer so much...which tri exercises work mainly the outer section of the tricep...thx guys

my routine: all heavy weight

weighted dips 15/12/10/8
    cable pushdowns 15/12/10/8
    skull crushers 15/12/10/8

lozza89 is offline Junior Member
    i have the same problem its because compound exercises like cg benchpresses n dips work more mid to inner, i do rope pulldowns but it just doesnt add the thickness on id also like 2 hear a descent answer

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    i'm no professional, i actually do powerlifting not bodybuilding.. but i have a very full tricep muscle so i can pass on what i do, but no promise its a sure fire workout..

cable pushdowns w/rope (really do a full range, and don't swing at all. and i focus on the lockout) 3 sets 10-8-6

weighted dips.. once again full range, down until my ROM stops me and up until i'm locked out. 10-8-6 on that too

and then either board press on bench press or tricep kick backs with a meduim weight and focusing on not slinging the weight around, actually lifting it.

not pointing fingers, but the biggest thing with triceps is all of the excerises to train them you can cheat without knowing it. and i'm under the strong believe you should lock out, some people say 'oh well then u are taking weight off the muscle and not working it as hard' ya thats true, but you are also not working the full muscle if you don't do a FULL range of motion

POPS is offline Senior Member
    could you reccomend a sustitute ex. for skull crushers? Getting a little elbo pain here but love the pump I get. I do skulls for 10-9-8 supersetted with close grip the same way. Then push downs 3 sets/12 supersetted by kickbacks.

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JucinNB View Post
    Hey guys with my regular tricep routine i feel a good burn in my inner tricep but not on my outer so much...which tri exercises work mainly the outer section of the tricep...thx guys

my routine: all heavy weight

weighted dips 15/12/10/8
    cable pushdowns 15/12/10/8
    skull crushers 15/12/10/8
    You seem to be like me. I will never get a fcvking tricep. You can do all the exercises in the world with all the weight, but it all boils down to genetics.

The Deuce is offline Anabolic Member
    has nothing to do with genetics really. its all in the way you train.... keep working at it. it will come... GO HEAVY ..... SURPASS GENETICS !!! I know you have heard that before. Dedication is key

jamminJohn is offline Junior Member
    For targeting the outer triceps, the best exercise I have found is cable pushdowns with a rope. But, instead of pushing straight down, grab one side of the rope with each hand and face your palms towards each other. At the top of the movement, your hands should be pretty close together, but as you push down, spread your hands apart so that at the bottom of the movement, your hands are about shoulder width apart. This really seems to target the outer tri's and get them pumped better than anything else I have tried.

hi im prettty new to body building but in the 6 months ive been lifting my tris have developed more than any other muscle... the best burn i get is wen i put 120lb on a cable machine but attatch a rope then turn around so your back is facing the stack of weights, hold onto the 2 parts of rope over your head, lunge forward and lean forward and stay there and pull the weight from behind your head to infront of you. Wats that exercise called?

BigGrill is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anabolictonic View Post
    hi im prettty new to body building but in the 6 months ive been lifting my tris have developed more than any other muscle... the best burn i get is wen i put 120lb on a cable machine but attatch a rope then turn around so your back is facing the stack of weights, hold onto the 2 parts of rope over your head, lunge forward and lean forward and stay there and pull the weight from behind your head to infront of you. Wats that exercise called?
    I want to say overhead rope pulls, at least that is what i refer it too.
    I get the best burn and workout from decline dumbbell extensions.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    flaring out with ropes on pulldowns ....also there is a pivotiving v shaped tricep pushdown bar avail at some gyms..i think i posted a pic in ******s tri thread...at the end when you roll you hands under - that hits out er tris ..also imo you need to squeeze and flex tris hard at end of flared out rope pushdowns.... JMO

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    Reverse grip bp helps me....

The Deuce is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD MATT View Post
    Reverse grip bp helps me....
    OOoOOOoo NICE ONE !!! Gonna supplement that in sometime soon... lol... haven't done that EX in years !!! YAAAY Now I am pumped for ARMS day all over again... lol

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by jamminJohn View Post
    For targeting the outer triceps, the best exercise I have found is cable pushdowns with a rope. But, instead of pushing straight down, grab one side of the rope with each hand and face your palms towards each other. At the top of the movement, your hands should be pretty close together, but as you push down, spread your hands apart so that at the bottom of the movement, your hands are about shoulder width apart. This really seems to target the outer tri's and get them pumped better than anything else I have tried.
    ^^Thats the ticket.

Thread Information