sizerp is offline Banned

Calves and Cardio

Okay, so I've played hockey for 12 years of my life, and skating is a bit different than running obviously.

Whenever I do cardio on the treadmill, or running around, my calves start to burn really badly, about 5-10 minutes into it. I do legs once a week, and calves twice, and my calves lack genetically for sure. I can do cardio on bike or skates, or stairs forever but just not running. My knees also kinda hurt as well when running.

Will running help me build bigger calves, and endurance, and maybe muscles around my knees? Or should I just stick to bike/stairs.

Thanks.

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sizerp View Post
    Okay, so I've played hockey for 12 years of my life, and skating is a bit different than running obviously.

Whenever I do cardio on the treadmill, or running around, my calves start to burn really badly, about 5-10 minutes into it. I do legs once a week, and calves twice, and my calves lack genetically for sure. I can do cardio on bike or skates, or stairs forever but just not running. My knees also kinda hurt as well when running.

Will running help me build bigger calves, and endurance, and maybe muscles around my knees? Or should I just stick to bike/stairs.

Thanks.
    Do not run because it will kill your knees! No it won't build them to any significant degree. Its your genetics!

sizerp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowland View Post
    Do not run because it will kill your knees! No it won't build them to any significant degree. Its your genetics!
    Ok thanks Ronnie.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Just take a look at marathon runners and that will give you a good indication of how running will not build your calves much. Sprinters on the other hand often times have some wicked wheels below the knee.

sizerp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    Just take a look at marathon runners and that will give you a good indication of how running will not build your calves much. Sprinters on the other hand often times have some wicked wheels below the knee.
    Good point. Thanks for chiming in Fire.

fitguy is offline Anabolic Member
    so will using the treadmill build up calves?

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by fitguy View Post
    so will using the treadmill build up calves?
    For the most part, "no". I imagine if you went at a 15% incline and really concentrated in contracting with every step you might get mild results but why not spend 10-15 minutes blasting them. I have also never understood why so many people bounce or do speed reps when doing calves. Drives me nuts to see someone with 10x more weight than they can handle on the calf machine bouncing up and down with a 2 inch range of motion. No one would ever think about doing that for chest.

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    Drives me nuts to see someone with 10x more weight than they can handle on the calf machine bouncing up and down with a 2 inch range of motion. No one would ever think about doing that for chest.
    Oh trust me, some do the same on the bench...LOL...It drives me nuts as well.

I agree that far too many do bouncy reps using a 2 inch range of motion for calf raises.

i tried everything my calfs doesnt even get sore,any ideas please

sizerp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowland View Post
    Oh trust me, some do the same on the bench...LOL...It drives me nuts as well.

I agree that far too many do bouncy reps using a 2 inch range of motion for calf raises.
    So slow and controlled? They burn like hell like that :P

MalibuD is offline Associate Member
    I go slow and hold mine at the top for 2 to 3 seconds and I have to set there for a few minutes before I can even walk after Im done.

sizerp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MalibuD View Post
    I go slow and hold mine at the top for 2 to 3 seconds and I have to set there for a few minutes before I can even walk after Im done.
    Lol. yeah that's the best feeling. gotta love it.

been through that and nothing

Thread Information