tallguy23 is offline Junior Member

Is this 5x5 ok for me?

Thanks to those that helped get my bulk diet in check, now for the workout. A little info about me first. I'm 25, 6'8" 232 and around 12-14% bodyfat. I have been lifting for about 3 years now. I have lifted in the past when I played minor league baseball, but nothing serious. The last year and a half to two years has been pretty solid lifting, but it can be improved.

I was thinking of following this 5x5 routine.
    http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...ile%20Download

Exercise Sets x Reps Details

Monday
    Squat 5x5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 (which should equal the previous Friday's heavy triple)
    Bench 5x5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 (which should equal the previous Friday's heavy triple)
    Barbell Row 5x5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 (which should equal the previous Friday's heavy triple)
    Assistance: 2 sets of weighted hypers and 4 sets of weighted sit-ups

Wednesday
    Squat 4x5 First 3 sets are the same as Monday, the 4th set is repeating the 3rd set again
    Incline or Military 4x5 Ramping weight to top set of 5
    Deadlift 4x5 Ramping weight to top set of 5
    Assistance: 3 sets of sit-ups

Friday
    Squat 4x5, 1x3, 1x8 First 4 sets are the same as Monday's, the triple is 2.5% above your Monday top set of 5, use the weight from the 3rd set for a final set of 8
    Bench 4x5, 1x3, 1x8 First 4 sets are the same as Monday's, the triple is 2.5% above your Monday top set of 5, use the weight from the 3rd set for a final set of 8
    Barbell Row 4x5, 1x3, 1x8 First 4 sets are the same as Monday's, the triple is 2.5% above your Monday top set of 5, use the weight from the 3rd set for a final set of 8
    Assistance: 3 sets of weighted dips (5-8 reps), 3 sets of barbell curls and 3 sets of triceps extensions (8 reps)

Would this be ok for someone like me to make gains? I don't have huge measurments either. I really want to pack some weight on, espcially my arms. 15" cold doesn't get it done and having a 7'+ wingspan just compounds the problem by making my arms look skinnier. But I can use the weight all over which is why I think the big three, especially the squats should do the trick.

I do play basketball every morning and lift in the evenings. Should I cut the basketball out, or can I still play and it will just slow my progress?

Any thoughts?

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    ^^^ cant speak to the 5x5 personally I havent done it...i like the compound movements for sure ...esp to form a solid base and base mass ....id def try it and eval your progress...

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries

Question

If big arms is what you are after then the 5x5 is not the best route to take.

How may days per week do you plan to train? My quess is 3?

I was going to go with 3 days like the program is setup and drop the basketball. I'm looking to build mass all over, I just gave my arms as an example. My chest is 44" and I want to up that as well as my legs. Sorry for the confusion.

green22 is offline Senior Member
    I think 5x5 is fine for compound movements but I would use them in a more traditional split. for ex. mon. chest and arms. you could do bench at 5x5 then 2 other movemments for chest using 12-15 reps. then hit arms using 12-15 reps 6-9 set for bis and tris.
    wed. Back and shoulders. Deads 5x5 then same as above. then shoulders, seated BB presses 5x5, then 2 other shoulder movements.
    Fri. Legs. Squats 5x5 then same as above.

that split has worked well for me in the past. Hope this helps.

Thread Information