m33
    m33 is offline Junior Member

Tricep exercises causing severe elbow pain

I'm not sure what I did wrong, but about 2-3 weeks ago while doing some decline tricep extensions my right elbow started hurting quite a bit. Now anytime I put it under load in tricep exercises the pain throbs. Any ideas as to what it is causing the pain and if it will go away or if its now prob a long term thing? After the initial pain I took it easy with tricep exercises for about 2 weeks or so, but the pain is still there as I try to get back into them. No pain on arm flexation exercises, only on extension exercises.

m33
    m33 is offline Junior Member
    I've heard some promising things about Cissus, so I'll prob pick some up soon and see if that helps. I started taking Glucosamine and Chondroitin 3 days ago, but I know that takes a while to build up and start working at all. Any insight on whether this is an actual injury that can be healed or something more serious?

xnotoriousx is offline Anabolic Member
    Glucosamine should help that out, i'd take a few weeks off of tris and take that Glucosamine everyday max amount.

I have a question if anybody knows or heard of it. When I do tris, I don't get any pain but after a # of heavy sets, when i'm holding a load of weight in my arms a nice sized buldge from right above my elbow pops out, it almost looks like muscle but it feel like fluid, it's like a bubble. Anyone heard of this?

t-gunz is offline MONITOR~ ~ RIP ~ Gone never Forgotten
    go on the light side just do few more reps for 1-2 weeks and then try again. just to give your elbows time to recover.

fitguy is offline Anabolic Member
    how much glucosamine do you guys take daily and for how long? there are some stuff where there is chondroitin sulphate in it as well is it any good?

binder is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xnotoriousx;43***45
    Glucosamine should help that out, i'd take a few weeks off of tris and take that Glucosamine everyday max amount.

I have a question if anybody knows or heard of it. When I do tris, I don't get any pain but after a # of heavy sets, when i'm holding a load of weight in my arms a nice sized buldge from right above my elbow pops out, it almost looks like muscle but it feel like fluid, it's like a bubble. Anyone heard of this?
    it could be a number of things. muscle, ligament, or tendon that is torn off or it could be a cyst. Those would be my guesses without seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by fitguy View Post
    how much glucosamine do you guys take daily and for how long? there are some stuff where there is chondroitin sulphate in it as well is it any good?

recommended dosage for glucosamine is 1500mg per day. I also use condtroitin D and fish oil. I'm not sure what dosage my condroiton is, but i take 3grams of fishoil a day.

The way you describe your problem it doesn't sound like a joint related issue. It sonds more like a tendon or ligament. Joints would hurt in both flexion and extension movements due tothe inflammation. Yours is bothering you when you do an extension of the arm with weight. If the pain is in the elbow then it's more than likely associated with an insertion tendon of the tricep. Could be tendonitis or tendonosis. Either one would require rest to allow it to reduce the inflammation and heal. I would consult a sports physician to make sure. If not treated properly it could become a chronic problem.

polly56 is offline Associate Member
    Sounds like a little tendinitussame thing happeneds to me when i do skull crushers, now i save skull crushers for last and decrease the intensity

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Try doing some rope tri ext and see if you still get pain.

Jakspro is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xnotoriousx;43***45

I get the same shit popping out. I need to visit the doc to confirm its benign.

Jakspro is offline Member
    Oh, my Doc told me to take 1.5 Gms Glucosamine in the AM and 1.5gms in the PM. But he also told me to stop for a few months after taking it for 8 weeks. Its helped me, I've been taking it for a few years using this protocol whenever I get joint pain.

POPS is offline Senior Member
    same prob here. It hurts on my right elbo when doing skulls. But after the first set, it gets better. I usually follow up w/push downs as my last ex. What do you think about switching around; push downs first and skulls 2nd? Maybe even warming up with lets say 40 lbs/15 reps slow, rest for 2 min then jump to 60? Ill give it a try on Tues, let you know what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakspro View Post
    I get the same shit popping out. I need to visit the doc to confirm its benign.

Yeah it's like a pretty big size bubble man, if you goto the doc and can remember me, send me a pm and tell me what he says. It used to freak me out, but now I just show it off to people at the gym and get them all freaked out. It feels like a water ballon is right above my elbow.

It also happens on both arms so I know it's not a cyst or something like that. I don't know what it is.... It's a mystery!!!~~~

binder is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xnotoriousx View Post
    Yeah it's like a pretty big size bubble man, if you goto the doc and can remember me, send me a pm and tell me what he says. It used to freak me out, but now I just show it off to people at the gym and get them all freaked out. It feels like a water ballon is right above my elbow.

It also happens on both arms so I know it's not a cyst or something like that. I don't know what it is.... It's a mystery!!!~~~
    are you talking about the outside of your elbow and it pops out when you make a fist and flex your forearm? I think you're talking about the extensor carpi radialus muslce. mine makes the size of a golf ball when flexing the forearms

No, it only pops out if i'm holding weight in my hand say a dumb bell down by my side. If I flex my arm it goes away. I also have to be working tris for it to happen. I'd say it's a little bit bigger then a golf ball or maybe that size.

The bubble happens inbetween the point of my elbow and my tris. It doesn't get sore, hurt, nothing it just looks freaky as hell. Everyone trips out that I show it to.

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    You could always try doing tricep exercises that dont hurt you.

Thread Information