Thread: leg size

japzap is offline New Member

leg size

I am trying to increase my leg size, but I can not do heavy squats because of a low back injury. Does anyone have any thoughts on the leg press and how beneficial it is for hypertrophy for the leg muscles. I can do dead lifts as long as I don't go over my body weight, so I try to do it with reps. I am trying to put an inch on my thighs as well as strength.

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by japzap View Post
    I am trying to increase my leg size, but I can not do heavy squats because of a low back injury. Does anyone have any thoughts on the leg press and how beneficial it is for hypertrophy for the leg muscles. I can do dead lifts as long as I don't go over my body weight, so I try to do it with reps. I am trying to put an inch on my thighs as well as strength.
    you should be able to do squats to. if you have good form, your lower back should be ok.

Jfew44 is offline Senior Member
    IMO, leg presses are worse for my lower back than squats. Lower the weight and do 20 rep sets of squats. After switching from my 8-12 rep routine to that, my legs exploded. What was the lower back injury?

green22 is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Jfew. Heavy leg presses bother my lower back. Squating heavy and never have any back pain. Lighten up, get it out of your head that you cant squat, good luck.

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    You can do squats with a plate loaded belt, so weight rested on hips instead of shoulders, taking the back compression element out. leg press isnt too good

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries

Wink

Try the hammer strength squat machine but not the v-squat version because it pushes you forward. Finish off with lunges on a smith machine.

Leg presses can really hurt your back if your pain is in the lowest region of the lumbar and/or you bring the knees too far in.

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    i like the dudes in the gym who put on 30 plates on the leg press machine. Never see them do squats. good stuff!

green22 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGH View Post
    i like the dudes in the gym who put on 30 plates on the leg press machine. Never see them do squats. good stuff!
    very true....lol

Natural1 is offline Associate Member
    they'll learn someday....

ARMY_OF_1 is offline New Member
    I like to leg press heavy AFTER squats. i give big leg presses more credit than the guys who never do legs and look like cartoon characters because their legs are so weak. Squats are the end all for leg mass but i wouldn't count out the sled. sometimes i will leg press heavy(6-10)/squat light(20+reps) and then switch it up on the next workout. just me but it has done wonders for my legs

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    front squats dont bother my back at all... i keep it light and just do the motion... my lower back for what ever reason can not handle squats heavy...

hankdiesel is offline Knowledgeable Member
    My lower back gets tight when I do higher rep squats like 15-30. It doesn't get that insane pump when I'm in the 8-12 range. Anyways, if you wear a belt and use good form you should be fine. This may not be true in your case but I know so many people with so many excuses as to why they can't squat or why they can't do legs all together. Do what you can man and good luck with the leg development.

ray0414 is offline Member
    you should be able to do squats to. if you have good form, your lower back should be ok.
    key word is SHOULD,its not 100%. you know your body better than he does. I have the same problem with lower back and have tried and failed after a while. last time i did squats was maybe 2 or 3 years ago. over the course of a few months or so i built my way up to about ONLY 145!! for reps! and with good form, still effed up my back and couldnt walk for a couple days, ive had this happen to me a few times, i just had to accept that i cant squat no matter how much i want to. Just need to find other leg excersizes whether it be hack squats or leg presses or lunges. (i also cant do deadlifts , although i do very light romanian deadlifts with light weight around 100lbs i can feel my back tweaking but i keep that very low)

Thread Information