cgeorgemeow is offline Junior Member

Full reps or X-reps?

Hello I have been an avid lifter for years. Not until 2 years ago did I discover x-reps or half reps to the 90 degree angle. I didnt start doing them until a shoulder injury made me stop doing full reps, but now my shoulder is good to go. So my question is what kind of reps do you all do and do you think one is better than the other. I have noticed in the gym that everyone now does the x-reps. Maybe my weightlifting coach when I was younger was to old school?

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by cgeorgemeow View Post
    Hello I have been an avid lifter for years. Not until 2 years ago did I discover x-reps or half reps to the 90 degree angle. I didnt start doing them until a shoulder injury made me stop doing full reps, but now my shoulder is good to go. So my question is what kind of reps do you all do and do you think one is better than the other. I have noticed in the gym that everyone now does the x-reps. Maybe my weightlifting coach when I was younger was to old school?
    depends, both have their place, half reps are good for preexhausting a certain range of motion(ROM), isolating certain ROMs and working on weaknesses

for muscle hypertrophy it's best to do a longer ROM and incorporate more muscle fiber, but if you are powerlifting and have a sticking point at the bottom of the bench motion but have no problem once you get past that, then doing half-reps in that ROM will help that sticking point greatly

Thread Information