calichico is offline Junior Member

Please tell me this is NORMAL!!!

I am finally getting back into the gym. Because of school and work, I took about 3 months off from hitting the gym daily. I just went back for the first time after starting my diet and my performance SUCKED!

Is it normal to lose a lot of strength when you go back for the first time? My first set was dumbell shld presses and the weight I used was about 25lbs less than normal. Can I expect my strength to come back soon? like in a month or so? I was just mad at how weak I was and the number of sets I was able to finish was low also. Thanks for your help guys.

Jfew44 is offline Senior Member
    Its completely normal bro. You havent been in the gym for 3 months and you expect your strength to be the same? Muscle memory will kick in and it should be easier to get back to the level you were at before taking a break. Good luck bro

calichico is offline Junior Member
    Thats what I was hoping for. I wanted to do my normal amount of sets for shoulders last night, around 9 or so, but I did only 6 or 7 total, my shoulders just couldn't go further.

So should I take it easy these first couple of weeks and not expect to perform the same amount of sets as before? I think I should get my muscles used to the workout and in a couple of weeks start lifting like I used to.

Jfew44 is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't "take it easy", but ya I'd drop a couple sets from what you used to do. You're gonna be tired bro, just make sure to keep the intensity up. 6 or 7 sets seems like a very low amount though, I usually do 12-15 for each bodypart although to each his own. Do whatever makes you grow.

firmechicano831 is offline Anabolic Member
    id take the first week slow then hit it like ur going to compete. Good look bro

Thread Information