calichico is offline Junior Member

should I be lifting like this???

When I lift, I focus all my attention on the muscle being worked. Say for example bicep curls. I can curl a 50lbs dumbell for a good 8 reps, but if I really focus on the muscle and squeeze the muscle, I can only do about 25lbs for 8 reps. Should I be putting that much focus on the muscle? I get a great pump and I feel it a whole lot more but the weight I use is usually half of what I can lift normally. What's the best way to lift?

OH REALLY is offline Banned
    stop thinking so much and lift

Deltasaurus is offline The Over Analyzing Nattabolic
    Quote Originally Posted by calichico View Post
    When I lift, I focus all my attention on the muscle being worked. Say for example bicep curls. I can curl a 50lbs dumbell for a good 8 reps, but if I really focus on the muscle and squeeze the muscle, I can only do about 25lbs for 8 reps. Should I be putting that much focus on the muscle? I get a great pump and I feel it a whole lot more but the weight I use is usually half of what I can lift normally. What's the best way to lift?
    Good question

Jfew44 is offline Senior Member
    Why not do both? Lift heavy on some exercises and use more mind-muscle connection on others.

tommy22587 is offline Junior Member
    its not about the weight its about the resistance u feel... if u can get the same pump with less weight then do that... less likly to get a injury

McFly is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OH REALLY View Post
    stop thinking so much and lift
    agree

legitimate question dont have an answer for you but im also interested

jamminJohn is offline Junior Member
    "Concentration curls" used to be very popular, but I don't hear much about them any more and never see anybody doing them. They are an excellent isolation excercise for your biceps. I wouldn't recommend basing your whole routine around them, as they are not the best mass building excercise, but they will get you pumped like nothing else.

xnotoriousx is offline Anabolic Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by tommy22587 View Post
    its not about the weight its about the resistance u feel... if u can get the same pump with less weight then do that... less likly to get a injury
    I agree with this. Do both, hell do both in the same workout. Do some drop-sets. Go heavy, then after you fail, grab the 25's and finish out. After failing, sling the weight up and fail on your neg motion. I think using a weight where on your 3rd set you fail at 8 reps w/ slow CLEAN reps. I like to also focus 2 second on the positive motion, and 4 second on the neg motion. I can almost do double the weight I workout with if i'm doing 2 second reps but i'm telling you, it does very little for you unless using that technique for drop-sets/pump-sets.

Just what works for me

kickinit is offline Member
    The pump is usually from lighter weight with hard squeezes.. At least for me, but I still go heavy to keep up my strength since if you only pump and squeeze you will loose strength and be a BIG *****. At least in my experience..

As mentioned above, change it up, do some pumps and some strengths. I do pump strength and then finish with pumps.

ironmike7000 is offline Associate Member
    I can give my own experience on this subject. Been lifting since 1979. My arms were always a weak spot for me. My arms were stuck at 16 inches for along time. My bodyweight was always around 190 or so. I always lifted heavy in the 6 to 8 reps. I was experiencing alot of elbow pain so I decided to start lifting lighter and also to squeeze the muscle more at peak contraction. I raised my reps to 12 to 15 range and reduced my total sets for biceps to 6 total sets. I also did this for all bodyparts. ( lower sets and increased reps ). End result was I now weigh 205 and my arms measure 17 1/4. Granted the weight gain caused some of the increase in size but I believe that I was'nt working my bi's correctly. Going too heavy sometimes takes away form. I'm also 51 years old and natural. My gains came over 5 to 6 month period.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    You need to find your balance. Do i believe in lightening the load ? Nope (only if causeing form issues). How will you force your body to grow by using lighter weight.
    You say you can lift 50lbs for 8 reps
    How is 25lbs for 8 reps more ? Its not. In the end you are doing less work ! Are you getting a good pump ? Yes , are you stressing the body to its full potential ? No way.

Thread Information