Thread: Pullups?

learnerdriver is offline Associate Member

Question Pullups?

Hi am not sure if am being harsh on myself but am peed off with my pullups recently. I don't seem to be getting anywhere with them. All other exercises are seeing great improvement except pullups. I manage to do 2 sets of 8 strict pullups (nice controlled speed and full range of motion) and then always struggle to get 5 out. After that i do negatives, slow sets of 6 for 3 sets. Am proper pumped after that and i give it my all.

My problem is that it's always the same amount so no increase in strength but am i punishing myself because my body weight is increasing nicely so therefore am having to lift more. I started out at 133lbs and am now 164 and i could not do many at all to start with.

Just wondering if there's anything wrong with what i'm doing and how to improve on this plateau.

sorry bit of an S.A

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    Try putting them first in your routine. Change grip width each training session. Utilize more rest between sets, about 2 minutes should be good.

jbm
    jbm is offline "3 stars and a sun"
    For me I just do 4 sets every set to failure! and it's the 1st on my workout!
    I change grip every set.

swol_je is offline Senior Member
    Since my back is a weak area, I do two different back workouts. If it is width day I always start with pull ups. I do as many sets as it takes to get to 60-70 reps. Then I do rack pulls, I feel them real good in my lats. If its thickness day Its deads first because after deads I am dead.

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    the best way to get better at pull ups is simply to do them...alot.

trust me.

to overcome your plateau, you might consider adding some weight. Doesn't have to be alot, 5-10lbs.

keep at it, it'll come.

Anabolios is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by derek7m View Post
    the best way to get better at pull ups is simply to do them...alot.

trust me.

to overcome your plateau, you might consider adding some weight. Doesn't have to be alot, 5-10lbs.

keep at it, it'll come.
    Great point, just what I was getting around to. If youre doing 8 reps with no weight do 6 with weight. then do 8 with weight. Over time you will have built up more strength and be able to work through more sets with more reps. Pull ups are GREAT BTW, I'm in a similar situation as you as my back is one of my weak areas.

jfalco is offline Member
    Another thing you might try is sacrificing form on the last set to squeeze out a few more. Cheat your way up with momentum to get a couple more. After a couple of weeks you will find that you don't need to cheat anymore.

Thanks for all the posts, Jfalco that is what i do lol on the last set tis funny like a fat man trying to climb a wall. I did tear my rhomboid a few years ago so that might add too it. I definately will try adding the weight. I always start with pull ups so guess am on the right track. Cheers guys

Darksyde is offline Member
    do a set of two of pullups then switch to chinups. go from hardest grip to easiest.

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    eh, it's ok to cheat a lil on those last few reps,

but don't get carried away with kipping.

jfalco is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by derek7m View Post
    eh, it's ok to cheat a lil on those last few reps,

but don't get carried away with kipping.
    this isn't what I meant. I should have emphasized LITTLE. If you can do 8 with good form, you should be able to squeeze out 2 or 3 more with mediocre form. Next week you'll be able to maintain form for 10 reps, etc. no sense swinging around like drunk monkey.

ray0414 is offline Member
    use wrist straps!!!!
    i dangle 70lbs for 8 reps u gotta get yourself jacked up to do them though, high intensity!

roserose is offline Associate Member
    Yeah. I agree try wrist straps on all your heavy back and pull lifts.

I might give wirst straps a go cause i suppose i could grind out without wrist straps until death then use the straps to aid after. I like to build up forearm and grip as well but it could be the cause of my plateau.

Barium is offline New Member
    Try getting a spotter for the last couple of sets to hold your feet so you can keep form and have him give you minimal help on each rep.

I've always felt that the pulldown motion needs a lot of reps so i do pullups and then pulldowns in my lat workout.

_Dave_ is offline New Member
    My opinion on the straps. If I'm doing back, I want to DO BACK. As hard and as heavy as I can. I can do forearms later.

higherdesire is offline Banned
    I have increased my pull ups by doing my sets to failure then when I have reached my max immedialty jump over to pull downs to failure. No matter what I get through 4 full sets of fromt pull ups then 4 full sets of chin ups. I also try giving a littl e more rest between the sets like 2 minutes instead of 45-60 seconds which I like to do on alot of my movements.

thanks for the input people, all good advice

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries

Wink

You've been given some good advice. One very important thing you are forgetting- the deload and the reload training phases! If you want to gain both size and strength at the fastest rate humanly possible you must train in phases. I call it Slingshot Training -an advanced way to periodize your workouts. Deload=low volume/Reload=high volume!

Thread Information