rollinwkd is offline New Member

tryin to get bicep bigger

im trying to get my bicep bigger i've been working on it for a while its grown but not like it should maybe overworked any pointers
    Last edited by rollinwkd; 01-05-2006 at 06:20 PM.

MASTER is offline "I Own You"
    post this in the workout forum bro or ask a mod to move it there!

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    if you can do a rep of 20 it's to light. 4 sets 6 reps max 3 movements

Pinnacle is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~ Cocky motherF*cker!
    Quote Originally Posted by rollinwkd
    im trying to get my bicep bigger i've been working on it for a while its grown but not like it should maybe overworked any pointers
    my workout consist of
    standing curls reps of 20 15 15 weight of 80
    bicep curls 20 20 10 weight of 30
    couple other workouts
    i work out at home but everyday after work any suggestions
    You are training to lite ( weight wise).

You don't take rest days?Are you also saying you train your bi's every day?

~Pinnacle~

i do 20 with the 30 lb db
    i can also do 20 with 35 but usually do 15 15 10 2 or 3 sets should i increase lbs or sets
    i do same routine everyday should i switch it up and do different bodyparts on different days
    i got pics at
    http://forums.steroid.com/attachment...3&d=1136076388
    Last edited by rollinwkd; 01-01-2006 at 06:15 PM.

Smak is offline AR's Midget Beater
    Standing Concentration Curls are what really made my arms grow.

Tren Bull is offline Dbol Junkie
    it sounds like your overtraining. try taking a week off, then coming back hard by focusing on reverse curls. you could also try bent over concentration curls to target the upper part of your biceps.

Ryano2005 is offline Associate Member
    Try doing flat bar drop sets and I gurantee your bi's will grow, and you definately need rest days.

Seattle Junk is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle
    You are training to lite ( weight wise).

You don't take rest days?Are you also saying you train your bi's every day?

~Pinnacle~
    Yeah, too lite and no recoop time... He won't get any size off that. Might as well do 7-ups in your highschool buddie's garage.

Rollin,

Concentrate on squuezing the bi muscles on both the positive and the negative and try to get a pump. The weight you use may be fine for now. It's quality, not quanity of weight. Don't swing while curling the weight. If you have to, put your back up to a wall. Now do your curls and concentrate on keeping your body straight as you pull the weight. The only things moving are your arms with the elbows staying in the same spot, 180 degree movement. Think of your arms in a set track.

right on here lately since i started the cr5 protein and flex i've been focusing on the slowness of my workout before i was fast and pumping now im slow and steady which is better
    slow and steady isnt it

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    DEADLIFT and SQUATS i PROMISE u learn to do those properly and heavy U WILL GET RESULTS!

whats some different workouts i can do for the bicep to get that burn that everyone needs

Quote Originally Posted by rollinwkd
    whats some different workouts i can do for the bicep to get that burn that everyone needs
    LoL BURN..ok.. how bout training the whole body properly and GOING TO THE WORK OUT FORUMS to learn how to train?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Weighted Close, Supinated-Grip Pull-Ups 3-4sets of 6-8 reps - or - Barbell Curls or Seated Alternating DB Curls 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps
    Preacher Curls with a Straight Bar (for full supination) or DB's 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps
    Last edited by Papi93; 01-02-2006 at 09:18 AM.

Pinnacle is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~ Cocky motherF*cker!
    Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    Weighted Close, Supinated-Grip Pull-Ups 3-4sets of 6-8 reps
    Barbell Curls or Seated Alternating DB Curls 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps
    Preacher Curls with a Straight Bar (for full supination) or DB's 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps
    Are you saying to do all that in one session?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    After you plateau, have a partner help you with forced reps and negatives.

Once a plateau is reached, again, go to negative-only training and then static contraction training.

*I forgot to mention, hit them once a week. If you work intensely enough, that will be all you will need.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Try splitting into two workouts... alternating between them.

Workout 1: Heavy Barbell and dumbell with plenty of rest - your test-of-strength day (keep records).

Workout 2: Supersetting, giant setting, drop sets, low/no rest intervals - your blood-swellin'-I wanna-puke-day... (these are really good while working the opposing triceps for a full upper arm pump)...

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle
    Are you saying to do all that in one session?
    No. I forgot to add in "-or-" for the barbell curls or close, supinated-grip pullups. I feel they both stimulate significant muscle fiber damage. I'll edit it, thanks!
    Last edited by Papi93; 01-02-2006 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    LoL BURN..ok.. how bout training the whole body properly and GOING TO THE WORK OUT FORUMS to learn how to train?
    taiboxa dont be disrespectin bro u dont know shit when it comes to me
    talkin bout learn how to train
    wheres your pics at homie show the people what u got

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    What will really help increase bicep size is using a supinated-grip on your back movements.
    If you already perform pullups in your lat workout, use a close, supinated grips and go with barbell curls for biceps. That's what I was aiming for Pinn.
    When working your upper back with rows, use a supinated-grip on your bent-over rows, seated cb rows, etc.
    This is where you will pack on the mass.
    Don't forget about deads!

Flexor is offline Banned
    What will really help increase bicep size is using a supinated-grip on your back movements.
    If you already perform pullups in your lat workout, use a close, supinated grips and go with barbell curls for biceps. That's what I was aiming for Pinn.
    When working your upper back with rows, use a supinated-grip on your bent-over rows, seated cb rows, etc.
    I've noticed you have mentioned this several times in this post, and yet it doesn't seem to be getting through to people. It looks like I will have to reinforce it as I often do

The biceps are no different to the triceps, in that you should hit them with multi-joint heavy exercises. You won't build triceps with skullcrushers any more than you will build biceps with barbell curls. Pullups and dips are one example of a powerful exercise that will build mass in these opposing muscles. Supinating your grip will hit the bicep head tremendously hard, going to the gym and lifting heavy is the answer. I'm not talking low reps, I'm talking compound assisted bicep workouts, using other muscle groups to allow you to lift heavy, whilst also performing a full contraction of the biceps. This is a very natural movement for the CNS and it recruits far more muscle fibres, leading to more tension and more damage.

You also can't ignore incline supinating db curls, which despite popular belief is a compound exercise involving wrist supination and elbow flexion. The pre-stretch that occurs because of hyperextension of the shoulder behind the back (from laying on the incline), also increases tension which allows you to develop more force as you start to contract. Damage is therefore increased. Supinate lower down below 90 degrees with your hand towards the edge of the dumbell to increase the effort needed to supinate your wrist, and then hold the supination as you flex your elbow to bring in the medial bicep head even more.

right on Papi
    Last edited by Flexor; 01-02-2006 at 10:18 AM.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    I've noticed you have mentioned this several times in this post, and yet it doesn't seem to be getting through to people. It looks like I will have to reinforce it as I often do

The biceps are no different to the triceps, in that you should hit them with multi-joint heavy exercises. You won't build triceps with skullcrushers any more than you will build biceps with barbell curls. Pullups and dips are one example of a powerful exercise that will build mass in these opposing muscles. Supinating your grip will hit the bicep head tremendously hard, going to the gym and lifting heavy is the answer. I'm not talking low reps, I'm talking compound assisted bicep workouts, using other muscle groups to allow you to lift heavy, whilst also performing a full contraction of the biceps. This is a very natural movement for the CNS and it recruits far more muscle fibres, leading to more tension and more damage.

right on Papi
    Too many subscribers to bodybuilding magazines!

Flexor is offline Banned
    Too many subscribers to bodybuilding magazines!
    hahah

ah but wait, I added more to my original post...

I like a pronated grip 'cause I don't want to put too much stress on the biceps while training back. Some people swear by a supinated grip for back development - but I feel way too much in my arms when I want the focus on my back. I knew a guy that was using an underhand grip for a "back" movement and ((RIP)) - tore a bicep...

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    I like a pronated grip 'cause I don't want to put too much stress on the biceps while training back. Some people swear by a supinated grip for back development - but I feel way too much in my arms when I want the focus on my back. I knew a guy that was using an underhand grip for a "back" movement and ((RIP)) - tore a bicep...
    I agree for an advanced lifter on AAS. Dorian Yates torn a bicep on reverse-grip bent-over rows. How many performance enhancers was he stacking at the time? Enough to kill the average person. JK. This member is just a beginner. No disrespect to you Rollin.

I have never seen a natural strength trainer rupture a pec or bicep with proper technique. It is always the person on performance enhancers. What do you think Warrior? Not arguing your point just looking for input on this subject.

BIGPHIL is offline Associate Member
    Seated Preacher curls with EZ( 10 10 8 to include negatives
    DB Conc Preachers (10 10 8)
    Cable burnouts with EZ attachemnet (2 sets wide narrow grip-+wide)

Trained on back days

hit em quick n hard

deads and yates rows w00t

I agree for an advanced lifter on AAS. Dorian Yates torn a bicep on reverse-grip bent-over rows. How many performance enhancers was he stacking at the time? Enough to kill the average person. JK. This member is just a beginner. No disrespect to you Rollin.

I have never seen a natural strength trainer rupture a pec or bicep with proper technique. It is always the person on performance enhancers. What do you think Warrior? Not arguing your point just looking for input on this subject.
    I don't think he was on any gear - but he was an advanced bodybuilder with a lot of size... and he did it with a cold heavy lift. But the fact that it tore his biceps shows the stress that a supinated grip can put on the biceps. But its hard to avocate or grip or another without tearing the whole routine apart and also, like you said, taking into consideration the current development of the person. Personally, I would only include an underhand grip when working biceps that same day - to me, a supinated row is a way to put a heaby load on the biceps... and as such, trains the biceps... it would be interesting to find some EMG tests on this....

[HANG ON] After I wrote that I found this (BTW - I still feel a lot of that type of rowing in the biceps - but I will try that grip next time I am in the gym and see if I change my stance on this... considering this):

"Conversely, a supinated grip does not appear to preferentially activate the biceps. However, there was a statistically significant change in the latissimus dorsi: biceps brachii ratio between the two pulldown exercises. The statistically significant change in the latissimus dorsi to biceps ratio occurred because of the slight non-statistically significant decrease in latissimus dorsi activity when changing from the wide grip to the reverse grip position of the lat pulldown being coupled with the slight non-statistically significant increase in biceps activity when changing from the wide grip to the reverse grip lat pulldown exercise. These results suggest that slight changes occur when changing grip position but these changes are small and may have no weight training significance. To state, as many clinicians and personal trainers do, that the wide grip pulldown preferentially trains the back and the close grip supinated pulldown preferentially trains the biceps is unsupported."

Flexor is offline Banned
    [HANG ON] After I wrote that I found this (BTW - I still feel a lot of that type of rowing in the biceps - but I will try that grip next time I am in the gym and see if I change my stance on this... considering this):

"Conversely, a supinated grip does not appear to preferentially activate the biceps. However, there was a statistically significant change in the latissimus dorsi: biceps brachii ratio between the two pulldown exercises. The statistically significant change in the latissimus dorsi to biceps ratio occurred because of the slight non-statistically significant decrease in latissimus dorsi activity when changing from the wide grip to the reverse grip position of the lat pulldown being coupled with the slight non-statistically significant increase in biceps activity when changing from the wide grip to the reverse grip lat pulldown exercise. These results suggest that slight changes occur when changing grip position but these changes are small and may have no weight training significance. To state, as many clinicians and personal trainers do, that the wide grip pulldown preferentially trains the back and the close grip supinated pulldown preferentially trains the biceps is unsupported."
    Nice to read, but I don't believe it for one second. The CNS has a very complicated job of working the forearm flexors. It recognises when the biceps are at a mechanical disadvantage and it recruits them less. When the biceps is in a prime line of pull, the CNS will activate more fibres. EMG activity in the forearm flexors is very odd indeed, the separate muscles rarely work in complete cooperation with one another.

A supinated vs. pronated grip on a pullup with equal hand spacing and no change in shoulder position will lead to a greater activation of the biceps, and no change in the lats. That article is suggesting there is a change in lat activity between a wide grip and a narrow grip, and of course is true.
    Last edited by Flexor; 01-02-2006 at 01:56 PM.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I don't think he was on any gear - but he was an advanced bodybuilder with a lot of size... and he did it with a cold heavy lift. But the fact that it tore his biceps shows the stress that a supinated grip can put on the biceps. But its hard to avocate or grip or another without tearing the whole routine apart and also, like you said, taking into consideration the current development of the person. Personally, I would only include an underhand grip when working biceps that same day - to me, a supinated row is a way to put a heaby load on the biceps... and as such, trains the biceps... it would be interesting to find some EMG tests on this....

Thanks for the read! How could you be an advanced bodybuilder not on gear though. Those guys who claim they are natural and horrible gyno just make me laugh. Who are those clowns fooling? It think he probably tore his bicep because of a lack of proper warm-up sets or faulty technique. Dorian blamed his tear on faulty technique to increase resistance. What you say is true though, you are at a higher risk for a biceps tear or rupture with a supinated grip. I just don't think this young man is at the point.

Flexor is offline Banned
    What you say is true though, you are at a higher risk for a biceps tear or rupture with a supinated grip. I just don't think this young man is at the point.
    I agree with this too, but for me personally I know I am nowhere near the kind of loads that will rupture my bicep tendons. The same could be said of benchpressing. Warrior, I remember you saying you have done 405 for doubles, don't you think that you might tear your pec tendon? Of course its a possiblity, and is the case with any heavy exercise. Only a few people would be at risk with supinated pullups, and like Papi said its down to warming up and taking due care.

Yates rows and underhand grip rows in general though would place more stress on the biceps IMO compared to supinated pullups. The pullups is a more natural movement, I think the biomechanics place less stress on the tendon from how it feels. It is very difficult to achieve a full bicep contraction on yates rows, but on pullups you can squeeze them hard. This suggests to me that leverage is poor for the biceps in rowing, and using extreme weight that the back can handle but biceps can't could lead to problems. Trying to contract the biceps too hard on rows whilst leverage is poor may lead to injury because you are taking the tendon beyond what it should experience in terms of stress.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Smak
    There is no such thing. By definition concentration curls are seated with the torso leaning forward, so that the shoulder is flexed and the elbow resting against the inner thigh. The load on the biceps is shifted onto the brachialis because of active insufficiency, the same principle behind the preacher. Perhaps you mean standing alternating db curls, but concentrating hard on form.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    There is no such thing. By definition concentration curls are seated with the torso leaning forward, so that the shoulder is flexed and the elbow resting against the inner thigh. The load on the biceps is shifted onto the brachialis because of active insufficiency, the same principle behind the preacher. Perhaps you mean standing alternating db curls, but concentrating hard on form.
    He could also be talking about the double biceps style curl on the cables. The upper arms are parallel with the floor and with the hand supinated, you curl the handles to your head (just like posing). That's what came to my mind, when Smak said that. He's a cool dude. Have chatted with him in the lounge.

Flexor is offline Banned
    He's a cool dude. Have chatted with him in the lounge.
    I know, he's one funny guy!

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Smak
    Smak, could you explain how you do these?

Thread Information