Rob
    Rob is offline Canadian Legend

Weak point CHEST training

I'm going for hypertrophy - I don't focus on strength.

My chest is definitely my weak point out of my upper body - It seems every time I do an exercise, I get more out of deltoids than anything else (especially the next day soreness)

My current routine goes something like

- 3-4 working sets of flat smith machine BP (8-12 reps per set)
    - 2 working sets incline smith BP (especially at this point where the delts get a pump)
    - 4 working sets of lower cables
    - 3 working sets peck deck

Now, when i BP, I always bring the bar down to about 5 inches above my chest - and I try different variations on where to place my elbows (tucked and not tucked)

What do you guys suggest?

kaberle_15 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post

Stop using the smith machine and start using dumbbells and a barbell for bench pressing.

Bring the bar lower, I touch my chest with it.

Start using free weight and skip the machines (dumbbell flys, pullovers, dips)

jbm
    jbm is offline "3 stars and a sun"
    try using free weights!

Edward88 is offline New Member
    I don't have any real suggestion, but want to say. that i noticed a huge change in my pressing by not touching my chest. Once i get to a certain point i feel it in my shoulders and collarbone area.

I also notice that or have been told for size it is to go heavy with low reps. I have been going heavy and my Chest has really exploded.. size wize. But i am sure there are far better suited to give better advise than i on this matter.

Darksyde is offline Member
    #1 get rid of the smith machine.
    #2 learn how to use your chest. inhale, press your shoulderblades back and together and keep them that way. learn to feel your chest, mind muscle connection and all that. my explanation kind of sucks but if you research it you will find great articles on what im talking about with positioning yourself.
    #3 use a low incline if possible, 20-30 degrees when you do incline pressing. most gyms have lame incline pressing stations that dont adjust low enough or dont adjust at all.
    #4 touch and go, always touch your chest but dont bounce off of it.
    #5 dips are awesome

never use too much weight at the expense of form.

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    use free weights man, all your workout there is on machines.

start of by trying use dbs see if you can isolate the body part you want to work.

but yeah Free Weights is the way to go.

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I'm going for hypertrophy - I don't focus on strength.

My chest is definitely my weak point out of my upper body - It seems every time I do an exercise, I get more out of deltoids than anything else (especially the next day soreness)

My current routine goes something like

- 3-4 working sets of flat smith machine BP (8-12 reps per set)
    - 2 working sets incline smith BP (especially at this point where the delts get a pump)
    - 4 working sets of lower cables
    - 3 working sets peck deck

Now, when i BP, I always bring the bar down to about 5 inches above my chest - and I try different variations on where to place my elbows (tucked and not tucked)

I could not get a chest pump on this routine either but my anterior delts would get stimulation.

Do you have access to a smith machine? If so, I can tell you what to do!

NathanSummers is offline Banned
    I had a problem keeing my chest up with my shoulders so i started hitting them twice a week mon and thur

mon: Bench Press 4 sets
    Incline Dumbbelles 4 sets
    Flat Flys 4 sets

thurs: Incline Bench 4 sets
    Dumbbell Bench 4 sets
    Incline Machine 4 sets

Chest really started growing when i started doing this

TRT,MAN is offline Member

Thumbs up

deffinetly free weights, try to stay away from fixed motions. also maybe try to go little lighter, that way mor fibers come in to play rather then stabilizers, bring bar and touch chest or dbs to get full stretch in chest. you might feel a diffrence and also see one in weeks to come.

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    Besides free weights, try a decline BP.. You could also superset, with flyes first then BP to really fatigue the chest.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanSummers View Post
    I had a problem keeing my chest up with my shoulders so i started hitting them twice a week mon and thur

mon: Bench Press 4 sets
    Incline Dumbbelles 4 sets
    Flat Flys 4 sets

thurs: Incline Bench 4 sets
    Dumbbell Bench 4 sets
    Incline Machine 4 sets

Chest really started growing when i started doing this
    Keeping the chest up is key but so are finding the proper angles for ones biomehanics. The standard flat bench and incline press does not work well for some. I am one of those people.

Alphatier is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowland View Post
    Keeping the chest up is key but so are finding the proper angles for ones biomehanics. The standard flat bench and incline press does not work well for some. I am one of those people.
    Do you work your chest with dumbbells?

How would you determine who should use Dumbbells and who should use Barbells?

Chest is also my weak point.

This is what my routine looks like:

3 warm-up and 3 working sets of Flat dumbbell press
    3 sets 45 degree incline dumbbell press
    3 sets weighted dips
    3 sets incline or flat flyes( I alternate every week between flat and incline)!

Cheers!

in2shape is offline Member
    stop using smith machine i only use this 4 dropsets ,occasionally ....

id do this

2 w/u sets flat d/b
    then 5x5 method heavy as poss dbs 5 sets 5 reps in each
    inc dbs same thing as above
    inc cable flys ( i lack upper chest ) 4 x 12,12,10,10
    3 x dropset pin loaded seated press

focus on the negative phase (lowering) and fast up (not to fast ) also bridge your chest up and dont round your shoulders when pressing up , also dont bounce bar off chest 2cms or so is good and dont lock elbows out at top its all about "time under tension " locking elbows out disengages chest ..

good luck let me know how it goes

BritishColumbian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksyde View Post
    dips are awesome.
    X 2 agreed 100% they are awesome! when I added this to my chest workout I seen a huge difference!

bcbrett is offline Associate Member
    I have recently cut my weights in half when lifting on chest and have really been focusing on form and technique. really trying to isolate my chest from my front delts and triceps. Really using my chest to lift and not just powering thru with shoulders or triceps. Focusing hard on squeezing at the top, and getting good stretch on btm. Also using about a 4 sec up and 4 sec down motion. You would be surprised how hard lighter weights can be using proper form and low speed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lean n' mean View Post
    Do you work your chest with dumbbells? No because my bicep/triceps tendons do not fare well getting the heavy dumbbells in place. It also puts a strain on my lower back.

How would you determine who should use Dumbbells and who should use Barbells? I think it's just a matter of preference but once you get so strong, getting those heavy dumbbells into place becomes a real challenge. My chest gets sorer from barbells because I can use more weight and focus more on my chest instead of balancing heavy dumbbells.

Chest is also my weak point.

This is what my routine looks like:

3 warm-up and 3 working sets of Flat dumbbell press
    3 sets 45 degree incline dumbbell press
    3 sets weighted dips
    3 sets incline or flat flyes( I alternate every week between flat and incline)!

Cheers!
    10-15 degree incline presses and decline presses tend to work best for people with lagging pectorals. The flye machine also helps!

Would you favour the fly machine over dumbbell flyes?

Soounds good, I'll try 15 degrees next time.

A lot of people tell me that they like 30-37 degree. What do you think about that?

Bigzrs01 is offline Associate Member
    Here's my 2 cents:

1-2 warm-up sets 3 working sets of flat barbell
    3 sets incline barbell
    3 sets of dumbbell press
    3 sets of dumbbell flyes
    (some weeks, usually every 3 weeks I'll do 2 press 2 fly movements)

Every once in a while, I'll do chest twice a week, coming in and doing incline contraction barbell presses, and some type of fly.

Something I love, and highly emphasize on are my dumbbell flyes. Try this: set your bench at a slight incline, around 20. Grab a set of light dumbbells first just so you can get your form down. Lay down on the bench, and bring your feet towards your body(probably so they actually touch the leg of the bench...you see a lot of powerlifters bench press this way). Keeping your butt on the bench, sink your body downward so that your lower back arches. It is ok and safe to arch your back as long as you still have your 4 contact points. Now poke your chest outward, and proceed to doing your fly. Come down far enough to get a good stretch in your chest....and its best done slowly to reduce risk of injury. Really focus on the stretch and the contraction at the top(squeeze and flex the chest muscle) and proceed to the next rep. Deep breath on the eccentric phase, filling up the lungs and pressing the chest outward.

Well thats probably the best way I can explain my technique of the dumbbell fly, sorry if it doesn't quite make sense..feel free to ask questions if there's any confusion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lean n' mean View Post
    Would you favour the fly machine over dumbbell flyes?

Soounds good, I'll try 15 degrees next time.

A lot of people tell me that they like 30-37 degree. What do you think about that?
    Yes, I prefer the machine for 2 reasons: 1) It keeps constant tension on the muscle you are trying to develop. 2) You run less risk of injuring your rotator cuff.

The more incline or decline you use beyond 20-30%, the more the anterior deltoids will come into play,unless you have a genetically gifted chest. I like 15 best.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowland View Post
    Yes, I prefer the machine for 2 reasons: 1) It keeps constant tension on the muscle you are trying to develop. 2) You run less risk of injuring your rotator cuff.

The more incline or decline you use beyond 20-30%, the more the anterior deltoids will come into play,unless you have a genetically gifted chest. I like 15 best.
    So you'd say 30 degree is the max? I wish I had genetically gifted pecs - it's more like everything else (with the exception of calves) is genetically gifted except for the chest.

So you'd say flye machine would give me the same results as DB flyes?

Thread Information