Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    InsaneInTheMembrane is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    ^^ Hey bro, thanx for the speedy feedback

will definitely incorporate your pointers/tweaks... last thing I wanna do is overtrain!!!

cheers
    Insane

s00noma is offline Junior Member
    Overall goal is size/strength. Trying to stick with a 3 day split for now, but might change it up to 4 in the future. Any suggestions welcome. I want to make sure im not overtraining/undertraining. All sets are trying to be kept in the 8-12 rep range.

MON - Chest / Tri
    Flat DB Bench x 4
    Incl BB Bench x 3
    Incl DB Fly x 3
    Dips x 4
    Rope Pulldown x 3
    Overhead Tri Extension x 3

WED - Back / Bi
    Version 1
    Deadlift x 4
    Lat Pulldown x 4
    Seated Cable Row x 4
    Standing BB Curl x 3
    Standing DB Hammer x 3
    Seated Preacher Machine x 3

Version 2
    Pull Up x 4
    Bent Over BB Row x 4
    Weighted Back Extension x 4
    and 3 bicep exercises x 3

Im wondering if i should alternate between version 1 and 2 from week to week as I have heard/read that doing deadlift every week may be a bit harsh. Or should i stick to all the same exercises from week to week for about 3 months and then switch it up so i can make sure i am pushing more weight/reps?

FRI - Legs / Shoulders
    Squat x 4
    To be determined x 4
    Calf Raises x 4
    Military Press x 3
    To be determined x 3
    Shrugs x 3

I havent yet put together my full leg/shoulder workout. Any exercise suggestions??

Again, should i be alternating exercises from week to week? Or would it be alright to do the same ones for about 3 months and then switch it up, that way i can track gains?

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    Quote Originally Posted by s00noma View Post
    Overall goal is size/strength. Trying to stick with a 3 day split for now, but might change it up to 4 in the future. Any suggestions welcome. I want to make sure im not overtraining/undertraining. All sets are trying to be kept in the 8-12 rep range.
    you should apply the overlaod training principle as mentioned in the 1st post in the 4 rep max range following protocol listed, in my 1st post

MON - Chest / Tri
    Flat DB Bench x 4
    Incl BB Bench x 3
    Incl DB Fly x 3
    Dips x 4are you doing dips focusing on chest or tris? stick to my recommended chart using overlaod training principle
    Rope Pulldown x 3
    Overhead Tri Extension x 3

not a fan of chest tris mentioned in first post

WED - Back / Bi
    Version 1
    Deadlift x 4
    Lat Pulldown x 4
    Seated Cable Row x 4
    Standing BB Curl x 3
    Standing DB Hammer x 3
    Seated Preacher Machine x 3
    chop BIceps to 6 sets

Version 2
    Pull Up x 4
    Bent Over BB Row x 4
    Weighted Back Extension x 4
    and 3 bicep exercises x 3
    just do 3 sets of each back exercise, this looks better

Im wondering if i should alternate between version 1 and 2 from week to week as I have heard/read that doing deadlift every week may be a bit harsh. Or should i stick to all the same exercises from week to week for about 3 months and then switch it up so i can make sure i am pushing more weight/reps?body fully adapts somewhere 8-12 weeks on a program, this is where you will have to switch exercises, reps, etc.

FRI - Legs / Shoulders
    Squat x 4
    To be determined x 4
    Calf Raises x 4
    Military Press x 3
    To be determined x 3
    Shrugs x 3
    looks ok, shoulders chop to 6 sets

I havent yet put together my full leg/shoulder workout. Any exercise suggestions??

refer to my first post for sets per exercise and just pick an exercise taht works that body part, compound movements first

Again, should i be alternating exercises from week to week? Or would it be alright to do the same ones for about 3 months and then switch it up, that way i can track gains?
    stick to a routine for 8-12 weeks or until results taper, then switch it up.. alot of this is answered in my first post and the links posted under them.. i suggest you read them

Quote Originally Posted by eatrainrest View Post
    stick to a routine for 8-12 weeks or until results taper, then switch it up.. alot of this is answered in my first post and the links posted under them.. i suggest you read them
    First of all, thanks. I read through the first post, but kinda wanted a hands on answer to the routine i posted. Thanks for reading through it and answering specifics.

So you think it would be alright to deadlift on a weekly basis, or do the version 1/version 2 alternating weeks?

well, the deadlifts i would do once every week, but that would be focusing more on hamstrings for me as i do stiff leg deadlifts (slight knee bend). on back days i would focus on back width/thickeness for upper back musculature and save the deads for hamstrings (stiff leg)

ill be on vacation for a couple days for my birthday, post up if you have any questions i will look forward to answering them when i come back!

bmit is offline Member
    here's mine ( I am on hrt of 320 mg/wk test and 240 mg/wk deca )

After a proper warmup all sets done to failure (no post- failure training). I like high intensity and low volume. Heaviest sets first in 4-6 rep range and then going to lower weights and higher reps to finish with a weight i can do about 10-12 times. rest 2-3 minutes for large bodyparts in between sets and 1-2 minutes for smaller body parts. Will do 2 or 3 days in a row of weights then rest day depending on how i feel.

1)Back and Legs
    3-4 sets rows
    3-4 sets pulldowns
    3 sets seated calves
    3 sets standing calves

2) Chest / Bis
    4 sets presses
    2-3 sets of cables or flyes (higher reps range than on my presses)
    3 sets dumbell hammercurls or curls
    2-3 sets bar - preacher or standing (this excercise i go higher reps range)

3)rest

4)shoulders/traps/tris
    3 sets presses
    3 sets medial delts
    2 sets posterior delts
    3 sets shrugs
    3 sets pressdowns
    3 sets skullcrushers (higer rep range than pressdowns)

5) rest

REPEAT

Abs done throughout the week and usually 20 min cardio after weights. Also do 45 minutes cardio in morning 45 minutes after my protein shake when i wake up.
    Last edited by bmit; 05-22-2009 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmit View Post
    here's mine ( I am on hrt of 320 mg/wk test and 240 mg/wk deca )

After a proper warmup all sets done to failure (no post- failure training). good this is what i only recommendI like high intensity and low volume. Heaviest sets first in 4-6 rep range and then going to lower weights and higher reps to finish with a weight i can do about 10-12 times. rest 2-3 minutes for large bodyparts in between sets and 1-2 minutes for smaller body parts. Will do 2 or 3 days in a row of weights then rest day depending on how i feel.

1)Back and Legs
    3-4 sets rows
    3-4 sets pulldowns
    3 sets seated calves
    3 sets standing calves
    you should start wtih back width exercises so do a total of 8-10 sets liek wide lat pulldown/rows for example of width/thickness
    also, this is not legs this is calves

2) Chest / Bis
    4 sets presseswhat kind of presses?
    2-3 sets of cables or flyes (higher reps range than on my presses)
    3 sets dumbell hammercurls or curls
    2-3 sets bar - preacher or standing (this excercise i go higher reps range)
    this is fine for biceps, chest shoot for 6-8 sets

3)rest

4)shoulders/traps/tris
    3 sets presseswhat kind of presses, they do work anterior and medial so stick to 6 total sets for delts, break it up however you want
    3 sets medial delts
    2 sets posterior delts
    3 sets shrugs
    3 sets pressdowns
    3 sets skullcrushers (higer rep range than pressdowns)
    sets and exercises look fine, be more specific as to pressdown exercises.. not sure what you mean

4) rest

REPEAT

Abs done throughout the week and usually 20 min cardio after weights. Also do 45 minutes cardio in morning 45 minutes after my protein shake when i wake up.
    ok, problem here is your not working your legs liek you think you are. where are your quads, gluets, hamstrings??? you need another day designtated for this FOR SURE! their half your body!

bmit is offline Member
    Why should I start with back width (rows) instead of pull-downs? I usually alternate between workouts which i do first.

I train legs with back and calves. Have herniated disks so I can't really do legs anymore w/o risk of injury. Have spent years developing my quads and hams so I do just enough to maintain and keep upper and lower body symmetric. I do 3-4 sets of squats holding dumbbells with my back against a swiss ball pressed against the wall.

For chest presses I do 4 sets alternate between incline and flat with dumbbells and barbell. I also do flyes or cables for 2-3 sets. So I do about 6-7 sets total for chest

For shoulder presses alternate between arnold presses, machine, and dumbell and barbell press.

For tricep pressdowns alternate between machine and different bar and rope attachements on the cable. And some days sub with close grip bench.

Quote Originally Posted by bmit View Post
    Why should I start with back width (rows) instead of pull-downs? I usually alternate between workouts which i do first
    back width exercises are not rows they are wide pulldowns, wide pull upts, etc. train them first..

I train legs with back and calves. Have herniated disks so I can't really do legs anymore w/o risk of injury. Have spent years developing my quads and hams so I do just enough to maintain and keep upper and lower body symmetric. I do 3-4 sets of squats holding dumbbells with my back against a swiss ball pressed against the wall.
    if your doctor recommends lower intensity light reps i would certainly do weight training with legs, lower intensity higher reps but to strengthen the joints and muscles

For chest presses I do 4 sets alternate between incline and flat with dumbbells and barbell. I also do flyes or cables for 2-3 sets. So I do about 6-7 sets total for chestgood you could possibly up it to 8 if you want

For shoulder presses alternate between arnold presses, machine, and dumbell and barbell press.

For tricep pressdowns alternate between machine and different bar and rope attachements on the cable. And some days sub with close grip bench.
    comments in bold

T-MOS is offline Educate B4 You Medicate~HOF~RIP Our Brother~
    what would you suggest for a 4 day split

Mon
    Tues
    Thurs
    Fri

Quote Originally Posted by T-MOS View Post
    what would you suggest for a 4 day split

Mon
    Tues
    Thurs
    Fri
    the 4 day split that i currently run is working liek a charm

monday-back, hams, calves
    tuesday-delts/traps, triceps, core (abs,obliques)

thursday-quads, glutes, calves
    saturday-chest, biceps, core (abs, obliques, lower back ext)

T-MOS is offline Educate B4 You Medicate~HOF~RIP Our Brother~
    the 4 day split that i currently run is working liek a charm

monday-back, hams, calves
    tuesday-delts/traps, triceps, core (abs,obliques)

thursday-quads, glutes, calves
    saturday-chest, biceps, core (abs, obliques, lower back ext)
    cool, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by T-MOS View Post
    cool, thanks
    never a prob

So referencing your overload principal, I usually shoot between the 8-12 rep range, possibly 6 if i am trying a heavier weight. Should i be doing the heaviest weights first in my sets?

For example today i did:
    Flat DB Bench Press x 3 -- 80 x 15 reps [a little light] , 95 x 7 reps, 100 x 5 reps

Should I have started with 100 and worked my way down instead??

Quote Originally Posted by s00noma View Post
    So referencing your overload principal, I usually shoot between the 8-12 rep range, possibly 6 if i am trying a heavier weight. Should i be doing the heaviest weights first in my sets?

For example today i did:
    Flat DB Bench Press x 3 -- 80 x 15 reps [a little light] , 95 x 7 reps, 100 x 5 reps

Should I have started with 100 and worked my way down instead??
    yea, after an effective warmup and a warmup prep set (1-2 light wamup sets), start heavy so you will have the energy to perform the heavy sets.

Alphatier is offline Member
    OK Eat, let's do this!

Main goal is size/strength, I try to work in the 6-10 and/or 8-12 rep range. I will give you a quick example how I do it.

Ex:
    Let's say I'm doing Incline Dumbbell presses, and I'm using 85lbs. If I get something like 10,8,6 Reps(3 Sets), then I do the same weight next week, until I'm able to complete 12,10,8 and then I'll move up to the 90lbs.

Anyways, my split looks something like this:

Monday: Quads/Hams/Calves
    Front Squats 3 Sets
    Hack Squats 2 Sets
    SLDL 4 Sets
    Leg Press 4 Sets
    Leg curl Lying 4Sets
    Leg Extension 4 Sets
    Leg Curl Sitting 4 Sets
    Seated Calf Raise super-setted with stand calf raises on stirs(no weight) 4 Sets

Tuesday: Chest
    Incline Dumbbell Press 3 Sets
    Flat Barbell Bench Press 3 Sets
    Weighted Dips 3 Sets
    Fly Machine 3 Sets
    (sometimes I throw in 2-4 sets of Tri's)

Wenesday: Back*
    Pullups As many sets as I need to complete 40+ reps
    Barbell Rows 3 Sets
    Dumbbell Rows 3 Sets
    Lat Pulldown 3 Sets
    Seated Low-Row 3 Sets

Friday: Shoulders
    Barbell Shoulder Press 3 Sets
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 Sets
    Arnold Press 3 Sets
    Dumbbell Side Laterals 3 Sets
    Shrugs Behind Back 4 Sets

Saturday: Bi's/Tri's
    One-Arm Cable Curl 3Sets
    Preacher Curl 3 Sets
    Bar Cable Curl 3 Sets
    Tricep Extension 3 Sets
    Close Grip Bench 3 Sets
    Reverse Bench Press 3 Sets

Yes, after reading your posts and everything I know I'm overdoing it, so I'll let you rip on my routine lol.

*The reason why I don't to Deads is that first of all I do them on Leg day(SLDL), and secondly, my back hurts most of the times when I do them, and I don't see the point in doing high rep Deads(when I lower the weight).

Quote Originally Posted by lean n' mean View Post
    OK Eat, let's do this!

Main goal is size/strength, I try to work in the 6-10 and/or 8-12 rep range. I will give you a quick example how I do it.

Ex:
    Let's say I'm doing Incline Dumbbell presses, and I'm using 85lbs. If I get something like 10,8,6 Reps(3 Sets), then I do the same weight next week, until I'm able to complete 12,10,8 and then I'll move up to the 90lbs.
    yes this is the overload training principle

Anyways, my split looks something like this:

Front Squats 3 Sets
    Hack Squats 2 Sets
    SLDL 4 Sets
    Leg Press 4 Sets
    Leg curl Lying 4Setswhy would you have hams here than next set quads? squats put more tension on quads than hams so swap these to...
    Leg Extension 4 Sets
    Leg Curl Sitting 4 Sets3 and 3 for total of 6 sets
    Seated Calf Raise super-setted with stand calf raises on stirs(no weight) 4 Sets
    stick to 8-10 sets for quads, and 6 max sets for HAMS
    Weighted Dips 3 Sets
    Fly Machine 3 Sets

ok, stick with flat, incline, dips. perform 4 reps max on the first 2 sets of the bench and the incline. last set perform 12 reps max. use the overload trianing principle. you will cut chest sets by 3 and depending on how long you have been running this routine, you should see gains very quikcly

(sometimes I throw in 2-4 sets of Tri's)

Wenesday: Back*
    Pullups As many sets as I need to complete 40+ reps
    Barbell Rows 3 Sets
    Dumbbell Rows 3 Sets
    Lat Pulldown 3 Sets
    Seated Low-Row 3 Sets

wayyyyy to many sets. 10 sets should be enough for back. try half width, half thicnkess

Barbell Shoulder Press 3 Sets
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 Sets
    Arnold Press 3 Sets
    Dumbbell Side Laterals 3 Sets

too many sets bro, did you know on chest days you work anterior delts and back days posterior? really only need to work on medial here and if posterior is slacking you can do them. delts=6 sets
    6 sets max bis
    One-Arm Cable Curl 3Sets
    Preacher Curl 3 Sets
    Bar Cable Curl 3 Sets
    Tricep Extension 3 Sets
    Close Grip Bench 3 Sets
    Reverse Bench Press 3 Sets
    6 sets max tris

Yes, after reading your posts and everything I know I'm overdoing it, so I'll let you rip on my routine lol.

*The reason why I don't to Deads is that first of all I do them on Leg day(SLDL), and secondly, my back hurts most of the times when I do them, and I don't see the point in doing high rep Deads(when I lower the weight) understood, i dont do deads anymore because of the tension i had on my knees from doing stiff leg. maybe i will slowly work it back in once every other week. as far as the routine, the split isnt bad. you arent overtraining the muscles as LONG as you stick within the set range about. apply overload training principle and lower reps to the compound movements first 2 sets 4 reps max, like the squat, hack squat, bench, incline, etc. you will get stronger... you know body adapys to a routine aroudn 8-12 weeks? some say 4-6... so switch the routiens, rep ranges, split, etc. document progress so you see when you plateued, then switch it up..
    comments in bold

bump alot of new info

Ok so how does this look:

Front Squats 3 Sets
    SLDL 3 Sets
    Leg Press 3 Sets
    Leg Curl Lying/Sitting 3 Sets (I'll alternate between lying and sitting every week)
    Leg Extension 3 Sets

Weighted Dips 3 Sets

Wenesday: Back (ok so here i need help in choosing width and thickness exercises, I'll make a list and let you comment on it)
    Pullups As many sets as I need to complete 40+ reps (Width)
    Barbell Rows 3 Sets (Thickness)
    Lat Pulldown 3 Sets (Width)
    Seated Low-Row 3 Sets (Thickness?)

Barbell Shoulder Press 2 Sets
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press 2 Sets
    Dumbbell Side Laterals 2 Sets

One-Arm Cable Curl 2 Sets
    Preacher Curl 2 Sets
    Bar Cable Curl 2 Sets
    Tricep Extension 2 Sets
    Close Grip Bench 2 Sets
    Reverse Bench Press 2 Sets

Now you need to help me a little with the rep ranges

Ok so how does this look:

Front Squats 3 Sets
    SLDL 3 Sets
    Leg Press 3 Sets
    Leg Curl Lying/Sitting 3 Sets (I'll alternate between lying and sitting every week)
    Leg Extension 3 Sets
    good
    Weighted Dips 3 Sets

good
    Wenesday: Back (ok so here i need help in choosing width and thickness exercises, I'll make a list and let you comment on it)
    Barbell Rows 3 Sets (Thickness)
    Lat Pulldown 3 Sets (Width)
    Seated Low-Row 3 Sets (Thickness?)
    yea do lat pulldown right after pullups doesnt have to be exact do 3 pullups, 3 lat p downs, 3 rows, 2 rows

Barbell Shoulder Press 2 Sets
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press 2 Sets
    Dumbbell Side Laterals 2 Sets
    ok, if rear delts are lacking throw 2 sets of rear delts in and elminate 2 sets of either dumbell or barb shoulder press.. there nearly identical and work same muscles

Preacher Curl 2 Sets
    Bar Cable Curl 2 Sets
    Tricep Extension 2 Sets
    Close Grip Bench 2 Sets
    do close grip first

Now you need to help me a little with the rep ranges
    rep ranges.. id go heavy for first 1-2 sets of each 2-3 set exercise. 4 rep max on compound movements and 6-8 reps... 12 rep max pon the other reps to hit red fast twitch

Front Squats 3 Sets (Sets 1&2 = 4 Reps) (Set 3 = 6-8 Reps)
    SLDL 3 Sets (Sets 1&2 = 4 Reps) (Set 3 = 6-8 Reps)
    Leg Press 3 Sets (Sets 1&2 = 4 Reps) (Set 3 = 6-8 Reps)
    Leg Curl Lying/Sitting 3 Sets (I'll alternate between lying and sitting every week) (Sets 1-3 = 6-8/ 10-12 Reps)
    Leg Extension 3 Sets (Sets 1-3 = 6-8/ 10-12 Reps)

Incline Dumbbell Press 3 Sets (Sets 1&2 = 4 Reps) (Set 3 = 6-8 Reps)
    Flat Barbell Bench Press 3 Sets (Sets 1&2 = 4 Reps) (Set 3 = 6-8 Reps)
    Weighted Dips 3 Sets (Sets 1&2 = 4 Reps) (Set 3 = 6-8 Reps)

Lat Pulldown 3 Sets (Width) (Sets 1-3 = 6-8/ 10-12 Reps)
    Barbell Rows 3 Sets (Thickness) (Sets 1&2 = 4 Reps) (Set 3 = 6-8 Reps)
    Seated Low-Row 3 Sets (Thickness?) (Sets 1-3 = 6-8/ 10-12 Reps)

Barbell Shoulder Press 2 Sets (Sets 1-2 = Reps) Now should I maybe add one set here to do 6-8/10-12 Reps??
    Reverse Flyes(?) 2 Sets (Sets 1-3 = 6-8/ 10-12 Reps)
    Dumbbell Side Laterals 2 Sets (Sets 1-3 = 6-8/ 10-12 Reps)
    Shrugs Behind Back 4 Sets Sets 1-4 = 6-10 Reps??

Preacher Curl 2 Sets
    Bar Cable Curl 2 Sets
    Close Grip Bench 2 Sets
    Tricep Extension 2 Sets

And for arms what is the rep range there?

]Sorry if it's a little confusing lol.

Front Squats 3 Sets (Sets 1&2 = 4 Reps) (Set 3 = 6-8 Reps)12 reps here to spare the joints/tendons
    SLDL 3 Sets (Sets 1&2 = 4 Reps) (Set 3 = 6-8 Reps)12
    Leg Press 3 Sets (Sets 1&2 = 4 Reps) (Set 3 = 6-8 Reps)12
    Leg Curl Lying/Sitting 3 Sets (I'll alternate between lying and sitting every week) (Sets 1-3 = 6-8/ 10-12 Reps)
    Leg Extension 3 Sets (Sets 1-3 = 6-8/ 10-12 Reps)
    Seated Calf Raise super-setted with stand calf raises on stirs(no weight) 4 Setsi wuldnt super set these two, i iused to but not anymore. 8 reps for this

Incline Dumbbell Press 3 Sets (Sets 1&2 = 4 Reps) (Set 3 = 6-8 Reps)
    Flat Barbell Bench Press 3 Sets (Sets 1&2 = 4 Reps) (Set 3 = 6-8 Reps)
    Weighted Dips 3 Sets (Sets 1&2 = 4 Reps) (Set 3 = 6-8 Reps)set 1 and 2 do 6 reps this is not a compound exercise

Lat Pulldown 3 Sets (Width) (Sets 1-3 = 6-8/ 10-12 Reps)
    Barbell Rows 3 Sets (Thickness) (Sets 1&2 = 4 Reps) (Set 3 = 6-8 Reps)
    i would do 6 reps max at most with barbell rows 4 reps wil not work
    Seated Low-Row 3 Sets (Thickness?) (Sets 1-3 = 6-8/ 10-12 Reps)

Barbell Shoulder Press 2 Sets (Sets 1-2 = Reps) Now should I maybe add one set here to do 6-8/10-12 Reps??stick to 6 here to be safe
    Reverse Flyes(?) 2 Sets (Sets 1-3 = 6-8/ 10-12 Reps)do these before shrugs after laterals,
    Dumbbell Side Laterals 2 Sets (Sets 1-3 = 6-8/ 10-12 Reps)
    Shrugs Behind Back 4 Sets Sets 1-4 = 6-10 Reps??

Preacher Curl 2 Sets
    Bar Cable Curl 2 Sets
    Close Grip Bench 2 Sets
    Tricep Extension 2 Sets
    you can go 6 reps max with close grip bench. if you had liek straight barbell curls you could do the same. otherwise stick to 8 about.

And for arms what is the rep range there?

]Sorry if it's a little confusing lol.
    bold, be aware this will put alot more pressure on joints/tendons. proper form, etc. iS ESSENTIAL!

work at 100 percen tintensity and i can gaurentee you should be happier with the results...again im not sure how long you have been running this routine, because the body may have adapted/will adapt soon so how long have you been on it

So Barbell Shoulder Press 6 Reps
    Barbell Row 6 Reps

Thanks a lot brother, I'm looking forward to start my "new" routine hehe.

Leg day used to be endless lol.

yea this is all you need for growth for sure... if you been on this routine for longer than 6-12 weeks than i would personally switch up the splits/exercises with the same principles and rep ranges applied that i gave you and you should see dramatic results

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    So Barbell Shoulder Press 6 Reps
    Barbell Row 6 Reps

Thanks a lot brother, I'm looking forward to start my "new" routine hehe.

Leg day used to be endless lol.

Clarity is good...

100% effort = that at 4 working reps you cannot do another rep... once you can do 6 reps with good form cannot do a 7th then you increase the weight and go back to 4 reps...

for size and strength that is..

But that's where eatrainrest and I differ is the rep range... but he gives some solid advice for sure..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

oh yea, forgot to mention that SPY will be working with me on this thread to help answer questions, he is also certified by the same agency, enjoy the extra help!, thanks spy i just volunteered you, lol...

Sounds great guys, thanks for your help.

BTW: How long did it take you to get certified from start till finish?

Just curious, because it's something that I'm interessted in doing some time later.

well we did it differently...i ordered the home study guide and just studied at my own pace,, 120 multiple question test broken down on the websiite.

nfpt.com

G-13 is offline Member

Question

Hey here it goes. My goal to be the strongest man in the world.

Here is my current workout schedule. It has been very successful for me in the past. Please take a look at it and give me some input on what you think, is it good, average or what should be added or taken away.
    My reps are in the 6-10 range. Also this might look like alot of sets for some, but after 20 years i have found this optimal for me. Less i just dont get the results, and i do put in some intensity.

chest day: saturday
    incline 5X
    bench5X
    dips5X
    incline flies 3-4X

back day:tues
    pulldowns 5x
    barbell rows 5x
    wide grip rows 5x and these are seated
    Stiffarm pulldown 5X

shoulder:wed
    military 3X
    arnold press 3X
    sides and front 3X
    shrugs 5x

arms:thurs
    preacher 3X
    Incline curl 3X
    ezcurl 3x
    rev preacher 3x
    close grip bench 5x
    overhead press 3X
    pressdowns 3X

legs:sunday
    squats 5x
    lunges5x
    leg curls5x
    leg ext 5x
    calves 12-15 sets seated and standing ( mixed inner and outer)

Quote Originally Posted by G-13 View Post
    Hey here it goes. My goal to be the strongest man in the world.

Here is my current workout schedule. It has been very successful for me in the past. Please take a look at it and give me some input on what you think, is it good, average or what should be added or taken away.
    My reps are in the 6-10 range. Also this might look like alot of sets for some, but after 20 years i have found this optimal for me. Less i just dont get the results, and i do put in some intensity.

chest day: saturday
    incline 5X
    bench5X
    dips5X
    incline flies 3-4X

back day:tues
    pulldowns 5x
    barbell rows 5x
    wide grip rows 5x and these are seated
    Stiffarm pulldown 5X

shoulder:wed
    military 3X
    arnold press 3X
    sides and front 3X
    shrugs 5x

arms:thurs
    preacher 3X
    Incline curl 3X
    ezcurl 3x
    rev preacher 3x
    close grip bench 5x
    overhead press 3X
    pressdowns 3X

legs:sunday
    squats 5x
    lunges5x
    leg curls5x
    leg ext 5x
    calves 12-15 sets seated and standing ( mixed inner and outer)
    just too many sets IMO, growth has alot to do with diet, sleep, hydration, etc. etc. following my suggested rep ranges 100 percent intensity will undoubteldy tear muscle tissue and allow for YOU to replenish with the right nutrients through diet, to grow.

oh yea, forgot to mention that SPY will be working with me on this thread to help answer questions, he is also certified by the same agency, enjoy the extra help!, thanks spy i just volunteered you, lol...

thanks i appreciate that.. the standards in training or training methods are based in science, that is the organization/book and philosophy

Rules

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.

hey spy, if you have any input on any information that i could add to the 1st post that would be great

just too many sets IMO, growth has alot to do with diet, sleep, hydration, etc. etc. following my suggested rep ranges 100 percent intensity will undoubtedly tear (rupture capillaries) muscle tissue and allow for YOU to replenish with the right nutrients through diet, (PWO and 72 hrs after the training) to grow.

Yep, and that's why rest is so important, i too am guilty of over training, just because we feel good enough to do it again, doesn't mean we should..

Rules

G-13 is offline Member
    hey spy, if you have any input on any information that i could add to the 1st post that would be great

Like i said in my diet post, i appreciate your input. I dont know how long you have been workin out, but i dont get bigger with less sets, i might get just as strong but i need the sets, maybe thats just how my body is. No disrespect. I have tried low set super high intensity and just about anything else you could conceive as far as mixiing sets and reps.

Now as far as how the days are layed out, is there anything you would change?

I found the book and the workshop to be very interesting and have integrated much of the knowledge into what i do.. but old habits die hard..

Rules

Quote Originally Posted by G-13;465***7
    Like i said in my diet post, i appreciate your input. I dont know how long you have been workin out, but i dont get bigger with less sets, i might get just as strong but i need the sets, maybe thats just how my body is. No disrespect. I have tried low set super high intensity and just about anything else you could conceive as far as mixiing sets and reps.

Now as far as how the days are layed out, is there anything you would change?

I hear ya on the set thing, you need to get past that though.. if it works for you, then don't change it.. the issue is it's not working for you or you are hoping that you can do better..

Stronger and bigger are often 2 different things..

Example at 216 lbs i was able to bench 525 x4 reps with the shape of the Michelin man.. after 5 years training from that, at 214 I can do 315 but don't go much above that because I am restricting my growth potential with the foods i eat..

I don't want to be 185 lbs and 9-10%bf 5'9" I want to be 210 @ 9-10% bf... So the amount of weight becomes irrelevant since i'm not in any strongman competitions.

Thats why if you read some of my logs you'll see that i test a product with a specific goal in mind... not to gain 5-15 lbs but to maintain the same weight and drop fat..

Rules

Quote Originally Posted by spywizard View Post
    I hear ya on the set thing, you need to get past that though.. if it works for you, then don't change it.. the issue is it's not working for you or you are hoping that you can do better..

Stronger and bigger are often 2 different things..

Example at 216 lbs i was able to bench 525 x4 reps with the shape of the Michelin man.. after 5 years training from that, at 214 I can do 315 but don't go much above that because I am restricting my growth potential with the foods i eat..

I don't want to be 185 lbs and 9-10%bf 5'9" I want to be 210 @ 9-10% bf... So the amount of weight becomes irrelevant since i'm not in any strongman competitions.

Thats why if you read some of my logs you'll see that i test a product with a specific goal in mind... not to gain 5-15 lbs but to maintain the same weight and drop fat..
    ^^^x2

Another example, and this works for me but not for a lot of people...

I do static training when i hit a plateau.. the science says this should not work, or rather that it is not optimal... it works for me because what it does is get me out of the gym, requiring rest 5 days for that body part so what it does is makes me heal, and keeps the body and mind active all at the same time..

Here's a good one for you.. according to the "tables" how many calories do you burn per hour while you weight train?? 500?? 700?? 1000??

Depends, if you aren't using a heart monitor you'll never know for sure, so how can you know if you are building muscle, or burning muscle??

What i found is that even during a heavy leg workout i only burn about 720 cals, which is a lot, but if i were using the "tables" i would have assumed that i was burning 1000 and thus i would be consuming 300 cals more than i needed to accomplish my goals..

Here's another question..

Your eating plan.. is it different on weight training days than on cardio days??

and what about days you are just at rest??

Sorry, more questions than answers but good food for thought..

Rules

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information