Thread: Need some legs!

boris20 is offline New Member

Need some legs!

Im looking for a leg builder, got them little chicken legs that i cannot get rid of. Im trying to work them 2 times a week to catch them up with the rest of my body. I had acl surgery about 6 years ago and had left them alone till about last year. Ive made great strength gains with my legs, but little to show.

Im currently doing

squats, 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps, the last set being about all I can handle to get 8

Leg press - about teh same as squats

leg ext - same reps and sets as others

Calves at end - 3 sets to fail, usually try to keep it around 15-20 reps

Ill switch up the squats every other week with front squats

CHAP is offline Anabolic Member
    Leg curls and lunges (weighted) And skip the front squats for now

Quote Originally Posted by CHAP View Post
    Leg curls and lunges (weighted) And skip the front squats for now

You prefer barbell lunges or with dumbells?

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    I wouldn't skip the front squats. They are great quad builders. Just look at the legs of olympic lifters and that's all the do. They very rarely back squat.

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    one question why only 3 sets of calves, you can afford to do a few more dont be afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by collar View Post
    one question why only 3 sets of calves, you can afford to do a few more dont be afraid.
    I usually only do 3 sets cause I can barely walk out of the gym after the 3rd set. I guess I could lighten the weight and reps and do 4 sets? Its just frustrating that im gainning strength but not size.

oh no dont get me wrong i aint saying what you are doing wrong.
    I just wanted to see your explination to it
    of course if you find it working for you, its fine man.

i do like doing about 6 sets on calves. all together either with two exercise or one.

Misery13 is offline Not Here
    Quote Originally Posted by collar View Post
    you should train your calves everyday...

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    Quote Originally Posted by Misery13 View Post
    who the hell told you that???

yeah, curious as to everyday aswell. Wouldnt that just be counter productive?

Anyways, lets do this. Say you are a trainer for a bodybuilder. You see their legs needs work to catch up with other body parts. What would you have them do? List days a week, workouts, ect. plz.

Quote Originally Posted by boris20 View Post
    yeah, curious as to everyday aswell. Wouldnt that just be counter productive?

Anyways, lets do this. Say you are a trainer for a bodybuilder. You see their legs needs work to catch up with other body parts. What would you have them do? List days a week, workouts, ect. plz.
    genetics, diet, switching up routine/rep ranges/exercises/training intensity/a bunch of shit.. if you want a critiuq on your leg workout why dont you post in my forum your current and i can recommend something different

Dee312 is offline Junior Member
    calves one day, forearms next, ever see a guy with huge guns/no forearms, or small calves and huge legs....no!

Quote Originally Posted by Dee312 View Post
    calves one day, forearms next, ever see a guy with huge guns/no forearms, or small calves and huge legs....no!
    i have, plenty actually.. my quads are exceptionally bigger and unproportionate to my calves... same wtih my forearms and my delts/bis/tris.. and i know how to train.. its genetics

I gotta agree with genetics part. My dad never had large legs or an ass. Yes I have gotten bigger then he ever was, but I kinda feel like im chipping away at a diamond with a toothpick.

well im 5'10 and my parents are 5'0 and 5'2 so id consider myself damn lucky... genetics is a real component otherwise everybody would bea monster

I, too, am a bit of a victim of the dreaded CLS.. (chicken leg syndrome).. since I wasnt genetically pre-disposed to having big legs to begin with, it's always been my least-preferred area to workout of my body. However, over the years ive made bold attempts at building them, and i've stayed with some programs religiously for quite some time, but never saw much growth... they'd get stronger for sure, but in terms of size, naaahhhh just never happened!....

Us less fortunate souls, victim to the accursed, dreaded CLS must submit to this conditions eventually and get used to walking around on two pencils. Just the way it is, man. Yeah there's success stories out there, but there's also JEANS. =) heh heh heh.

But if you must try, stick with basics. Squats, 4 sets of 8 6 4 reps, heavy as possible. Leg press, same method, deadlifts, extensions... all low rep high weight and eat alot and see what happens. No magic formula. oh and of course calf raises. Basically, if you're trying to put on mass you wanna keep your reps at no mas than 8.. just keep increasing weight every week to as much as u can handle.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Misery13 View Post
    if thats sarcasm, i was meaning more sets not training them everyday.
    if it was not sarcasm, no i do not agree you should train them everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzerfaust80 View Post
    I, too, am a bit of a victim of the dreaded CLS.. (chicken leg syndrome).. since I wasnt genetically pre-disposed to having big legs to begin with, it's always been my least-preferred area to workout of my body. However, over the years ive made bold attempts at building them, and i've stayed with some programs religiously for quite some time, but never saw much growth... they'd get stronger for sure, but in terms of size, naaahhhh just never happened!....

Us less fortunate souls, victim to the accursed, dreaded CLS must submit to this conditions eventually and get used to walking around on two pencils. Just the way it is, man. Yeah there's success stories out there, but there's also JEANS. =) heh heh heh.

But if you must try, stick with basics. Squats, 4 sets of 8 6 4 reps, heavy as possible. Leg press, same method, deadlifts, extensions... all low rep high weight and eat alot and see what happens. No magic formula. oh and of course calf raises. Basically, if you're trying to put on mass you wanna keep your reps at no mas than 8.. just keep increasing weight every week to as much as u can handle.

Good Luck.

LMAO love the CLS term. Yeah ill just keep at it, least itll give me something to do on off days from other body parts (you all know off days get kinda boring and you know you wanna go!)

Thread Information