Thread: Muscle memory

dern180 is offline Member

Muscle memory

What the terory behind muscle memory. I was told if u stop working out for 4 -5 weks and then start back up again that yor muscle will grow faster then if u where a frist timer and new to working out.

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    Well, here is a true to life example. I was truely dedicated to the gym for bout 7 years. Then I was a lazy ass for a couple years (right after marrage ). When I returned I gain my strenth back at a extreamly fast rate. What took me years to get the first time now took me months.

seniormateus is offline Associate Member
    Bump..good post Ron. I was huge at one point and now I can lift for 3 months and be damn near that big. God thank you for muscle memory. Really good lookin cuties give me muscle memory in my pants quicker than I can blink! haha

SneakerSeven is offline Junior Member
    This is pure speculation, but a lot of lifting is nerve control; I'm guessing that the 'muscle memory' is actually more like already having the right pathways to lift properly and heavy. Much like riding a bike; if I hopped on a bike now, not having been on one in years, I would be rather rusty. But I'd be able to get up to speed and balance much quicker than if I was starting out for the first time. All about getting the rust out!

Anyone else with more info something to back my thread up with.

Lostsoul is offline Associate Member
    I had the exact same experience as RON, when i was younger i worked out for about 2 years, 6-7 days a week, then i stopped doing it, 8 years later i'm back doing it, and got 80% of my strength back in the last 5 months, and am bigger now than what i was then.

I read that muscles grow back 1/3 faster in this fashion, i read it in some science mag ages ago...

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    nope, yall are all wrong. muscle memory is when you're muscles develope little brains of their own that remember what they used to like to do. for example, i haven't gotten any in many months. i'm outta a home right now so i'm staying with a hottie friend of mine. my muscle memory keeps trying to get me to sneak into her bed...=P

hehe, that was a bit too long. i'm bored as hell tonight.

seriously though. like ron and lostsoul, i've had similar experiences. i lifted 5 days week for 1.5 years on highschool. then dilly dallied around in the gym in college for 4 years (nothing YALL would call working out). now that i'm back into it, it took me around 5 months to get bigger and stronger than what it took me 1.5 years in highschool to get.

-- clocky baby

RON
    Originally posted by clockworks
    nope, yall are all wrong. muscle memory is when you're muscles develope little brains of their own that remember what they used to like to do. for example, i haven't gotten any in many months. i'm outta a home right now so i'm staying with a hottie friend of mine. my muscle memory keeps trying to get me to sneak into her bed...=P

Thats the wrong muscle bro

Originally posted by RON

Thats the wrong muscle bro
    Care to explain.

metalanimal5o is offline New Member
    i love muscle memory. Last year i hate to lose weight for wrestling and i went from 195 to 170 during the 2-3 month season. I did track and field after that and after getting back in the gym for a month i was up to 189 and had about the same bf as when i was 170.

seniormateus is offline Associate Member
    The love muscle has remarkably quik muscle memory for the beaver dosn't it!

RON
    Originally posted by dern180
    Care to explain.
    If I have to explain that you really need help.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Yeah, Muscle Memory is based on that idea exactly. It is easier to get it back if you had it once than if you never had it ever.

I can't recall exactly what I have read on it but I believe it has to do with once the fibers are hypertropied they retain most of their structure. Even after atrophy. They shrink but the structure basically remains.

IMO - the idea is a bit scewed because every six months every protein molecule in your body is broken down and replaced. So I would agree with Muscle Memory in reason - I don't think it is a phenomenom that will occur after several years of detraining.

But the shock of training once again alone would produce good results.

Originally posted by RON

If I have to explain that you really need help.
    No need to explain I was stoned at the time if that's any help......peace

Thanks warrior good info.

Braden is offline New Member
    Damn, I'm sure glad I read this thread. I just got back from travelling through India for a month and now I look like the clerk behind Mcdonalds. I look and feel like a piece of shit. I've been working out steadily for 5years and I lost approx 14lbs and now it is really tough mentally to "get back into it". This thread helped out. thanks.

Thread Information