gettingthere is offline Senior Member

Swimming for cardio?

I hate HATE doing cardio, find it so so boring! but swimming i can do and kinda enjoy it.

Was wondering can swimming be your cardio? i dont want to ose wait, in fact i want to gain size but want to tone my abs and the rest of my body, wondering can it be done through swimming?

MACKATTACK is offline EAT, TRAIN, REST
    If you want to gain size then swiming should not be the cardio for you to do. I forgot but I read somewhere it leads to your body eating away at your muscle...........

xnotoriousx is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MACKATTACK View Post
    If you want to gain size then swiming should not be the cardio for you to do. I forgot but I read somewhere it leads to your body eating away at your muscle...........
    i dont see how its worse than anything else

Well I just thought with swiming you are not breathing as much and as nearly as often........

http://books.google.com/books?id=_Yt...esult&resnum=9

Read under Anerobic Training.........its just a thought, it says that you use Muscle glycogen, Muscle ATP, and muscle PCr when doing intense swiming..........but to eahc his own, I guess thats why all swimmers are not extremely muscular and just VERY tone with low muscle size/gerth.............
    Last edited by MACKATTACK; 06-11-2009 at 02:28 PM.

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    its about your HR

bakie is offline Associate Member
    ^^ Exactly... Btw, if you want an amazing back look into swimming. Still don't believe it, look at the backs on the olympic swimmers next time you are watching. Add that too weight training and good eating KABAAM! I watched a chick rep out 30 pullups and she had never done them before in her life, just swam.

Quote Originally Posted by bakie View Post
    ^^ Exactly... Btw, if you want an amazing back look into swimming. Still don't believe it, look at the backs on the olympic swimmers next time you are watching. Add that too weight training and good eating KABAAM! I watched a chick rep out 30 pullups and she had never done them before in her life, just swam.
    Well its pretty hard to monitor your heart rate when you dont have a machine and ur not stopping inbetween ur workout a million times.........Bakie, have you ever tried it yourself personally? If not then you can't post your opinnion, sure their backs look great they are like 5% BF all of them lol.........you realize Phelps has to eat 10,000 calories a day just to maintain his physique when training??

I am sure this guy isnt eating 10,000 calories a day...........plus the OP SPECIFICALLY said he is trying to GAIN SIZE/ MUSCLE, i wouldnt think unmonitored heart rate and swiming is the best choice for him then........

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sneejoe View Post
    I hate HATE doing cardio, find it so so boring! but swimming i can do and kinda enjoy it.

Was wondering can swimming be your cardio? i dont want to ose wait, in fact i want to gain size but want to tone my abs and the rest of my body, wondering can it be done through swimming?
    brother the only reason to swim is so that you dont drownd... lol

go for a long walk or somehting

I think if you enjoy to swim, you'll find much success in it for losing body fat, along with a good diet of course.

kickinit is offline Member
    Yeah I would stick with breast stroke or side stroke really if you want my honest opinion if you want to keep muscles. No matter how slow you do freestyle or flys you will be going over your fat burning HR.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    I can not stand swimming. Boring as hell to me. Give me a machine in front of ESPN any day.

jbm
    jbm is offline "3 stars and a sun"
    I only go swimming when there is a lot of hot women in the pool!

streamline89 is offline New Member
    Do it for sure.. just remember to breathe lots..and dont go to hard..its great for burning fat and your cardiac output will be really good after a few weeks. Its great for lowering BP and heart rate as with any cardio..ohh yeah dont forget to drink lots of water cause you will dehydrate..

Biff77 is offline Junior Member
    How bout just walking back and forth in the shallow end chest deep?? Wouldnt it be about the same azz a machine up hill ,, but with less stression yer knees and back??

Quote Originally Posted by Biff77 View Post
    How bout just walking back and forth in the shallow end chest deep?? Wouldnt it be about the same azz a machine up hill ,, but with less stression yer knees and back??
    Probably, its just like any other resistance training but thats not techinically swimming........

bjpennnn is offline American Psycho
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post
    I can not stand swimming. Boring as hell to me. Give me a machine in front of ESPN any day.
    exactly

swimming can be very effective if you train at the right HR..,but that goes with ANY cardio exercise

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbm View Post
    I only go swimming when there is a lot of hot women in the pool!
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by amcon View Post
    brother the only reason to swim is so that you dont drownd... lol

go for a long walk or somehting
    Another great point, that's why I have jet skis. LOL

jbm
    jbm is offline "3 stars and a sun"

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    I was under the impression that due to the cold temperature of pools your body will hold onto body fat to protect itself. I read a study about it.

Bulkn is offline Productive Member
    yeah i dont think swimmers look that lean. but they do have massive chest/shoulders/back

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkn View Post
    yeah i dont think swimmers look that lean. but they do have massive chest/shoulders/back
    Really?

BuiltForThis is offline Associate Member
    How about applying the concepts of HIIT to swimming? For example, 30 seconds of full out swimming followed by a brief rest period repeated for 20 - 30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by BuiltForThis View Post
    How about applying the concepts of HIIT to swimming? For example, 30 seconds of full out swimming followed by a brief rest period repeated for 20 - 30 minutes.
    that seems fine.. just monitor HR with a device if you have one

Orlando Rocket is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BuiltForThis View Post
    I agree with this, the gym I go to has 3 olympic sized pools and some water polo leagues, the guys in the senior leagues are jacked. I talk to some of them regularly and they do lift on top of the polo but it's obviously working for their physique. The sport is basically treading water then all out sprinting then treading again if you've never watched it.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    My gym just got some of those bikes you can put in the water. They are pretty cool.

Thread Information