kas3379 is offline Junior Member

Workout Question

Hey everyone, I'm on week 4 of 300 mg test E every 5 days. Currently, I work out anywhere from 5 to 7 days a week, and i am curious if i should take more days off? also, my energy level is rediculous, like ungodly. There seems to be no end to the amount/time or the intensity of my workouts. Am i risking hurting myself? I feel like if I don't feel it the next day, then i didnt do my job at the gym. any imput would be appreciated, but usually the breakdown is l ike this

10-20 min. warmup on elliptical, above 200 strides/min.
    1 hr. to 1 hr. 45 min. intense workout, usually focus on 2 body parts, shoulders/back, tri/chest, etc. and I do abs at the end of every workout.

usually after workouts, I will run .5 or 1 mile, stopping every 1/8th mile for either pushups, pull-ups, crunches, etc.

occasionally i will also do 5 min. sets on the bag

what do yall think?

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    well first off wouldnt ungodly mean something bad? anyway.. the routine is ungodly lol .. jk but seriously i dont liek a few things.

spending way too much time in the gym, too many days and to much time

too much time warming up

why such high intensity cardio? i hope your carb up, alot.

stats?

abs everyday? no. so after every workout you are doing back, chest, and ab exercises? doesnt that not seem right. every muscle should be worked 1x per week some smaller ones i will do 2x.. actually the only 2x is calves, unless im doing some advanced alteration wiht my slingshot training that i HAVENT started yet.. umm i think you need to throw the entire thing out and start from scratch. try a 4-day split working each muscle 1x weekly and post up set and rep ranges here if you wnt a crituqe

Free Training Advice-national certified trainer

Free Will is offline Senior Member
    ^^^^^ x 2

j4ever41 is offline Senior Member
    i gotta bump eat on this so x 3

ok so if i do the 4 day split
    mon-chest, bi, forearms, core(abs)
    tues-legs, calvs, traps
    wed-off
    thurs-shoulders, tri
    fri-back, calves, core(abs)
    sat-off
    sun-off

can i do cardio, pushups, pullups, etc. on off days? i dont like taking that many days off each week... also- how do you limit your use of chest exercises to stay in 10 set range? you just switch it up each workout?

Quote Originally Posted by kas3379 View Post
    tues-legs, calvs, traps
    wed-off
    thurs-shoulders, tri
    sat-off
    sun-off

can i do cardio, pushups, pullups, etc. on off days? i dont like taking that many days off each week... also- how do you limit your use of chest exercises to stay in 10 set range? you just switch it up each workout?
    those pushups are not goig to build you a massive chest and will gear more toward overtraining. TAKE THE OFF DAYS FOR RECOVERY. i dont understand the 2nd part of your question but i switch up my workouts ever 8 weeks or so. i would switch your leg and back day.

How many exercises do you do for chest? i saw on your post that you said to try to keep it around 10 sets for each muscle, but with incline, decline, fly's, crossovers, bench, etc. how do you choose which exercises to omit?

How many exercises do you do for chest? i saw on your post that you said to try to keep it around 10 sets for each muscle, but with incline, decline, fly's, crossovers, bench, etc. how do you choose which exercises to omit?
    i stay around 6-9 sets of chest. unless im doing a reload for slingshot i will go 12 sets. but 6-9 is where im usually at. which exercises to omit???

well when i choose a routine i want to proprtionize my body. if im lacking development of my upper chest ill start out with some incline but basically allmy workouts are geared to hitting all parts of the muscle. example-when i do delts i aim for anterior/medial/and posterior, hitting all 3 heads of the delt. the most important thting is documenting progress with a STEADY ROUTINE, yes 8-12 weeks, or once the body adapts to the routine. then SWITCH UP EXERCISES, REP RANGES.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Why are you training traps with legs? Putting them on the day you do back or even shoulders is a better set up in my opinion.

yea im gonna switch the traps to back day instead of w/ legs... makes more sense. im gonna read up on the slingshot method a little, i like the way it sounds..
    so today will be my first day trying the 4 day split method, im gonna go like this

bb bench-8,7,6 (100%)
    incline
    decline
    fly's

preacher curl
    seated curls
    hammer curl

wrist curl
    forearm exercises

abs (I tend to mix up ab exercises, using leg raises, medicine ball sit-ups, weighted sit-ups, crunches for days, etc.)

tomorrow will be legs, calfs, and i'll probably omit traps and add in compound lifts (cleans, deads)

what yall think?

cleans and deads are not leg exercises in my book... if you train legs the right way you will not be able to do cleans and deads (given its the traditional deadlift). leg days should just be leg days IMO.

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    tues-legs, calvs, traps
    wed-off
    thurs-shoulders, tri
    sat-off
    sun-off

Forget pullups/pushups on off days. If you are training intense you should not feel like doing things on off days. If you are going to do cardio 3 times per week on non-training days then keep it at 20-30 minutes of moderate intensity.

More is not always better but if you can eat enough to gain muscular weight while training 5-7 days per week then it's working for you. I prefer a 4 day split because it works so well for the masses.

I woud try 12 sets for chest for 4 weeks then reduce to 6 sets for a week then return to 12 sets for 4 more weeks. Do this with every body part-reload 4 weeks and deload for 1 week since you have a lot of energy. Stay with the same exercises most of the time to allow specific adaptations to occur but change it up on occasion as needed.

Note: Everyone in this thread has given you good advice!

ninesecz is offline AR's Mass Monster
    Blog Entries
    I just want some of that crazy energy you have! I have none!!

Thread Information