GuybrushThreepwod is offline Associate Member

Adding weight. How much, how often?

My goal is 5 pounds a month to every exercise for the rest of my life (more or less). My plan is to add 2.5 lbs every 2 weeks for 8 weeks, then hold for 4 weeks. Then repeat the process. If it works, I'll be adding 40 lbs a year to my exercises. I'll be curling over 300 pounds in 5 years! Is this an average amount of weight to add to my routines?

TRT,MAN is offline Member
    your body will plateau before you make 300 pounds. lol

I figured that. I can still dream though! ( I suppose I could swing 300 up.. But then would it really count?)

TRT,MAN is offline Member
    no unless your a power lifter than maybe. but you will have to lay in the hospital for months because of the broken back.

Whats the average 1RM for a curl anyway? I can do 125 using proper form. I've never tried to swing it up there so I don't know what that would be. I'm still gonna say that I'll curl 300 some day...

Dont wanna be old is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You could squat 300lbs in 5 years .

Anatomically impossible to swing a weight in front of you that is more than you weigh .

Weights are lifted in a vertical motion . up and down .

Squat , dead lift . bench .

Even the strong man contests the huge guys have to keep weighted objects close the body and even tilt themselves back .

You might do 300 reps one day is about it .

ninesecz is offline AR's Mass Monster
    Blog Entries
    I curl 155# for 6 reps on my last set with pretty good form and just a slight amount of cheating. and the body does not work like tht.. adding 2.5# to each exercise per week.. I wll go 4-6 weeks sometimes without a gain and then.. boom I will gain 30# on my bench or something..

Hee is what I do.. I try to get 1 extra rep at least each workout.. the weight you are doing 6 reps with now you want to get that to 8 reps then next workout instead of th being your last set it will be your 2nd to last set. you then do a heavier set... then once the heavier set gets to 8 reps, that drops to your 2nd to last set.. get it?? try making gains like that trying to go up every week can cause an injury

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    overload training principle-any 3 rep range at 100 percent intensity. example

4-6

do 4 reps max until you achieve 6, than up weight until you get only 4.

Quote Originally Posted by eatrainrest View Post
    overload training principle-any 3 rep range at 100 percent intensity. example

4-6

do 4 reps max until you achieve 6, than up weight until you get only 4.
    I see how that will work! My experience (limited as it is...) with this sort of training has been that I will gain quite a bit of fat compared to muscle. It feels as though I'm not "working" hard enough to warrant the extra calories consumed.

Should I drop the food consumption during a strength gaining workout, or just add some extra cardio?

Or is there a way to keep my 8-10 reps while gaining strength and mass? For instance: work until I can hit 12-14 and then add weight? The principle is the same...

*Dont wanna be old* -I can squat 250+ now! (I need to buy more plates. That's all I have..) If I can't add 50 pounds to that in the next 5 years, kill me now!

Thanks for the advise so far guys! This is really going to help!

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    I am not asking in a mean way.. just in the direction of advice... how old are you?

I'm 25

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    Well I think you need to look at it different than weight.. instead look at percentage if you are trying to get stronger...

during different stages of training you will gain different levels of strength but instead of thinking about straight weight being added it might be better to do a percentage based progress chart since your body will have natural limits in each area based on body weight.. and also true strength gaining routines are based on scales or ramp up and down of a percentage of your 1RM

Thread Information