will2012 is offline New Member

Weight training volume

What kind of training volume is optimal for someone with an ectomorphic body type? I typically do 12-16 sets per body part, and cycle high weight/ low reps with low weight/ high reps.

Any advice??

tonyz 716 is offline New Member
    That's fine see how it works for you. I personally don't believe in high volume for myself I get good results from 2 heavy sets per exercise not including warmup sets. That's what works for me but different people respond to different things so try out a couple styles of training to see what works best for you.

Klimax is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by will2012 View Post
    What kind of training volume is optimal for someone with an ectomorphic body type? I typically do 12-16 sets per body part, and cycle high weight/ low reps with low weight/ high reps.

Any advice??
    I think that 9-12 sets/bodypart are more than enough. If you are an ectomorph you'll probably have to do less.

xnotoriousx is offline Anabolic Member
    I have a buddy that does 25+ sets and no matter what I tell him, he believes that it is what works best for him to grow muscle so you just gotta find what works best for you..

For me, it's 12 sets per muscle group (High intensity 60s rest time)

will2012 is offline New Member
    Okay, I'll give it a shot. Should I take each set to failure, using rest/ pause, cheat reps, etc.?

PC650 is offline Senior Member
    i would take last set too failure, i only use rest pause or drop sets to switch it up a little but dont focus on that training all the time. i do like negatives tough. everyone is diff my buddy loves high reps and he only rest like 30 seconds before he starts another set or exercise, but hes pretty yoked so it works for him

liftw8t is offline Associate Member
    Yeah large muscle group 12ish smaller 9ish and like pc650 said doing last set to failure always helps i personally like dropset on last exercise last set. Great pump and burn at same time

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    I am on the vince gironda 8 X 8 program you dont lift heavy (great for someone injured has myself) but you do a lot of exercises and sets and reps, i take 15-30 sec breaks then get back at it.

Works amazing for me.

Thread Information