marine newbie is offline New Member

Fat burning while running

After reading the “The Bulking primer” I tried running for 65 mins, keeping my heart rate at the 65% to 70% target, which is 123 to 132 for my age group. I ended up exercising for 65 mins at a 4.0 mile/hr. rate. This was just a fast walk/slow jog, and my heart rate stayed at around 150 beats per minute. My question is, if I run at 4.0, or even 4.5 miles / hr (about 160 bpm), so I can keep a steady slow jog, will I be burning less fat than if I do a painfully slow, fast walk at 3.5 mph, which will keep my heart rate closer to that 132 bpm target??

ps
    My resting heart rate is a bit high at 82 bpm, I'm 31, 5'7, 160 lbs.

big_k is offline Associate Member
    Percentage wise, You will burn less fat.

But when all is said and done, you will burn more total calories from the higher intensity therefore leaving you with more fat burned.

Are you on any meds, and do you ingest any stims? 82 resting is pretty high

no, 82 is normal for me, everytime i get a medical they ask me if im a cross country runner, I mean I've always been active, but not no marathon runner. Anyways, so you're saying I'll burn less percent of my fat, but more overall fat? I'm not really tracking, guess I'm just a dumb grunt. I realize that if I run at 8 mph for an hour I'll obviously burn a lot more calories than if I run at 4 mph for an hour, but does that mean I'll burn more fat? If so, then what the hell is the point at keeping ur heart rate at just 130 (for my age)? If I run the same amount of time but faster and burn more fat then that's what I want to do, do you understand my question? and thanks for the reply, guess not too many people here are cool with new guys.

Kibble is offline Anabolic Member
    My fat hates when I run. I say that if you are going to be running, then run your ass off each time. Especially if you are a Marine

EZ E is offline Associate Member
    Studies have shown that higher intensity has a greater benefit for fat loss than lower intensity since it elevates your metabolism long after you stop running. You may technically burn more fat while running at low intensity but you will burn more fat over the course of the day with higher intensity.

Necrosaro is offline Senior Member
    ^ Can I have a look at those studies?

magic32 is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by big_k View Post
    Percentage wise, You will burn less fat.

But when all is said and done, you will burn more total calories from the higher intensity therefore leaving you with more fat burned.

Are you on any meds, and do you ingest any stims? 82 resting is pretty high
    A VOICE OF REASON CRYING IN THE WILDERNESS!

The Fat Burning Zone is a very good theory, but like many of its predecessors, e.g. the Earth is flat, or that its the center of the solar system, it is unfortunately a false one. HIIT or High Intensity Interval Training is far superior to a moderate (allegedly fat-coaxing) aerobic exercise, precisely for the reason Big K stated. The burning of more overall calories necessarily encompasses burning more fat calories.

For the mathematical explanation of this, complete with graphic illustrations for clarity, see my comprehensive Women's piece on this site at:

http://www.steroid.com/women_and_steroids.php

More specifically, click on: IV. AEROBIC/CARDIOVASCULAR EXERCISE, and scroll down to ADDRESSING THE LOW INTENSITY = FAT LOSS MYTH.

Best to you.
    Master Pai Mei of the White Lotus Clan

My motto: SAFETY & RESPECT (for drugs and others).

I AM NOT A SOURCE, I DO NOT GIVE OUT SOURCES, OR PROVIDE SOURCE CHECKS.
    I DO NOT SUPPORT ANY UGL's OR ANY ORGANIZATION DEALING WITH THE DISTRIBUTION OF ILLEGAL NARCOTICS/SUBSTANCES!

Difference between Drugs & Poisons
    http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-steroids-questions-answers/317700-best-fat-loss-compound.html

Half-lives explained
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...inal+half+life

DNP like Chemotherapy, can be a useful poison, but both are still POISONS
    http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-steroids-questions-answers/306144-dnp-issue.html

BE CAREFUL!

EZ E is offline Associate Member

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/reprint/42/1/69

http://etd-submit.etsu.edu/etd/these...d/king0417.pdf

Bahr, R. Excess post-exercise oxygen consumption -magnitude, mechanisms and practical implications. Acta Phys Scand. Vol. 144, Suppl. 605, 1992.

big_k is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ E View Post

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/reprint/42/1/69

http://etd-submit.etsu.edu/etd/these...d/king0417.pdf

Bahr, R. Excess post-exercise oxygen consumption -magnitude, mechanisms and practical implications. Acta Phys Scand. Vol. 144, Suppl. 605, 1992.
    x2^ Check out this link. Its an Easy read and he backs everything up with studies. If you want to read the actual studies, let me know I can dig them up for you, I still have my college library account so we can dip into the school's already dwindling budget

http://alanaragon.com/myths-under-th...ed-cardio.html

God damn you guys are giving me homework here, thanks so much, exactly what I was looking for, resources. It will take me a few days to look through it but it seems like everyone here thinks that running faster will give me better fat burning results so I'll try it. I'll read the web pages yall recomended and then will come back and post if I have any questions, thanks again for the help, greatly needed and much appreciated.

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marine newbie View Post
    After reading the “The Bulking primer” I tried running for 65 mins, keeping my heart rate at the 65% to 70% target, which is 123 to 132 for my age group. I ended up exercising for 65 mins at a 4.0 mile/hr. rate. This was just a fast walk/slow jog, and my heart rate stayed at around 150 beats per minute. My question is, if I run at 4.0, or even 4.5 miles / hr (about 160 bpm), so I can keep a steady slow jog, will I be burning less fat than if I do a painfully slow, fast walk at 3.5 mph, which will keep my heart rate closer to that 132 bpm target??

ps
    My resting heart rate is a bit high at 82 bpm, I'm 31, 5'7, 160 lbs.
    Could someone move this thread to the right forum?
    -Corey "Narkissos" Springer

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Apollo Fitness Barbados etc
    Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by texasmk4
    Nark is like intel, Brilliant inside and awsome outside :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Here's a little-known-secret, that most people won't tell you: In the sphere of fitness, everything works.
    Every(intelligent)thing works (once aptly and consistently applied)
    It really is that simple.
    This is the perpetual bodybuilding paradigm
    **No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

Monster87 is offline Member
    Thanks for all the links, I've been looking for an excuse to do more high intensity cardio.

edenfield is offline New Member
    HIIT is supposed to be the best for fat burn, and releases hormones to increase muscle gain as well.

Quote Originally Posted by edenfield View Post
    HIIT is supposed to be the best for fat burn, and releases hormones to increase muscle gain as well.

What's HITT???? Can you send me a link to it please??

domeyeahaigh is offline Senior Member
    Yeah 82 resting sounds high as well as 160 while at a 4.0 mph pace??? thats a brisk walk...

Thread Information