DPDESIGN is offline Junior Member

Training abs while bulking

I used to have a decent six pack prior to my bulking phase, now it's completely gone, should I continue to train my abs while bulking or wait til I start cutting up in april? my BF% did go up since i've been eating like a horse.

Mr.Rose is offline Anabolic Member
    Why would you even stop? They are a muscle arn't they? Whats the difference between them and biceps? or any other muscle for that matter.

They are most likely unable to be seen because of the bloat and fat gain. Is your diet clean?

Training them is a must IMHO... why? Well let's see, last time i checked you wouldn't be able to stand without them or your lower back.

Well since steroids help grow muscle, and your abs are muscles, wouldn't it be smart to train them in the same fashion as you would your other muscles? That way when your off your cycle and your cutting commences your abs will be twice as big.

And no, i don't mean do situps and crunches, you want to target your type-IIa and b fibers, So you need more heavy resistance.

Personal favorites:

-Up-side down Situps with weights held at chest (hang upside down from a lat pull up bar/chin up bar)
    -Barbell push crunch
    -Any lever machine that targets your abs.

You should be increasing your weight weekly, after all they are muscles.

EDIT: Spelling mistake, Changes "And lever machine..." to "Any lever machine".
    Last edited by Mr.Rose; 02-03-2010 at 10:08 PM.

scorpion62 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Hi I agree with Mr Rose,I train my abs ever gym session at least two sets with every workout,his personal favs will do the trick

crazypat123 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion62 View Post
    Hi I agree with Mr Rose,I train my abs ever gym session at least two sets with every workout,his personal favs will do the trick
    abs need time to recover.

theryano is offline New Member
    they do need time to recover from a hardcore ab workout.....but i also do at least 2 sets every workout....seems to warm up the core

stpete is offline Banned
    Continue to train abs but eod is sufficient imo.

Teufel_Hunden is offline Associate Member
    I've always thought that working your abs with weight gives your midsection a "thick" look which really isn't what anyone is after.

crazypat123 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theryano View Post
    they do need time to recover from a hardcore ab workout.....but i also do at least 2 sets every workout....seems to warm up the core
    should only be doing them EOD. they need atleast one day to recover, abs are just like any other muscle group, they need time to heal before you can start working with them again

scorpion62 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazypat123 View Post
    abs need time to recover.
    Your right crazypat only if your hitting them hard but Iam not Iam just staying on top of my abs so that they stay trim . Trying to burn the fat of your abs is a nightmare,well thats what I think

Oakleys is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teufel_Hunden View Post
    I've always thought that working your abs with weight gives your midsection a "thick" look which really isn't what anyone is after.
    I didn't know this.

Please explain?

Mr.Rose is offline Anabolic Member
    Working your abdominal with heavy resistance, just like we do any exercise, will increase their size, again just like any other exercise we perform. When we do this, our abdominal does not get 'thick', it actually grows each individual segment of the 8 segments we have (Yes, when you do ab workouts, you work all 8 segments, and not the 'upper' or 'lower' abs, thats all just new age mumbo gumbo) and thus makes your abs bigger, and your sixpack is more bigger. All professional bodybuilders do abdominal workouts with heavy weights, and look at their abs, they are to die for.

awesome1 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Rose View Post
    Working your abdominal with heavy resistance, just like we do any exercise, will increase their size, again just like any other exercise we perform. When we do this, our abdominal does not get 'thick', it actually grows each individual segment of the 8 segments we have (Yes, when you do ab workouts, you work all 8 segments, and not the 'upper' or 'lower' abs, thats all just new age mumbo gumbo) and thus makes your abs bigger, and your sixpack is more bigger. All professional bodybuilders do abdominal workouts with heavy weights, and look at their abs, they are to die for.
    I disagree. I dont want ronnie's or cutler's abs. On the other hand, Dexter Jackson has the ultimate stomach. I wonder what he does for workouts.

awesome1 is offline Associate Member
    to illustrate my point
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Training abs while bulking-dexterjackson32.jpg   Training abs while bulking-ronniecoleman2_lrg.jpg  

Little Herc is offline Associate Member
    I do abs when i bulk but I don't worry about them as much as say chest. Abs are one of those muscles u build until you are happy with then keep them maintained. I'm cutting now so I hope i "maintained" them enough. We'll see.

soulstealer is offline Anabolic Member
    Strong abs = bigger lifts, bigger lifts = more strength/size, more size = the appearance of a greater V taper...

rmalouf is offline Associate Member
    i think genetics play a huge role in deciding what ur abs are gona look like....my friends and i train our abs the exact same way, n when we cut, we all look different....im sure ronnie coleman didnt train is abs to look like that..lol!!!

NVR2BIG1 is offline Banned
    I train mine like once/wk when I'm bulking, they get hit indirectly doing other exercises. Your abs are the first thing to contract when you do almost any lift, When I'm dieting I'll do them eod or something

Thread Information