Thread: I need arms :(

fattymcbutterpants is offline Senior Member

I need arms :(

Ok, so I am 6'5" and pretty lean i'm about 9% bf. I'm strong for my weight and age, however I dont look like I can lift hardly anything. It bothers me so much that I can out lift alot of people on bicep and tricep related exercises, yet there arms are alot larger than mine.

So basically I am looking for some good arm workout for packing on some serious size. I do train them a pretty good bit so its not a matter of training them I think I just really need to find the right rep range and sets and exercises.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

thanks

fatty

Oh and also I wanna add my arms tend to get pumped up better than alot of peoples, like they look small until I actually lift something then they pump up nicely but still not too big

ranging1 is offline Anabolic Member
    for biceps try doing one arm pull downs, but with a chinup grip, itl hit ur lats and biceps but ur biceps will be targeted the most

rep ranges should be between 8-10

as for triceps lately ive been getting GREAT size growth out of one arm overhead dumbell extensions

i usually get a 75 or 80 pound dumbell, sit in a preacher chair with my back to the pad, push the dumbell up above my head and do each arm one at a time, its a great exercise ot build tricep size and strength, and also help bring strength to ur shoulders

i personaly prob have the weakest arm genetics like urself, so its usually very hard for me to find exercises that work, my arms are like urs, strong as hell but size just doesnt seem to come on

so i do suggest u try these exercises, i also find that because of strong arm genetics u have to be careful to watch ur wrists, its very easy to injure them when your arms are strong, so i always try to train them with more compound movements, indirectly or with movements that dont strain ur wrists

hope this helps

alright thanks man I might try those out in my workout tomorrow. And yea on the whole wrists thing, they definately hurt a little when I bench really heavy and when I do certain exercises I have noticed that but just wasnt sure if that was because my bench was higher than my wrists were accustomed too or what.

For biceps the past week my new routine Ive been doing alot of heavy preacher curls on the hammer strength machine with reps from 6-15 just depending on the day and the sets and im kinda experimenting with them. Then I just do some dumbbell curls, and hammer curls like infront of my body. Like im bringing my right wrist to my left shoulder if you get what I mean. And then I do some heavier reverse curls to work on my forearms too

Oakleys is offline Associate Member
    Whats your bicep workout routine?

javerton is offline Associate Member
    You say you're strong, how strong exactly? How much do you row/pulldown/deadlift? Once you get to very high numbers on those lifts, only in a few very rare cases will you not have very developed arms.

Apart from that, the most basic bit. You could try the one day arm cure. The thread has all the questions answered in there:

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=10970

(yes it will take up your whole day, lol). Some people experience an inch in a day, provided you follow the post day diet and recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by javerton View Post
    You say you're strong, how strong exactly? How much do you row/pulldown/deadlift? Once you get to very high numbers on those lifts, only in a few very rare cases will you not have very developed arms.

Apart from that, the most basic bit. You could try the one day arm cure. The thread has all the questions answered in there:

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=10970

(yes it will take up your whole day, lol). Some people experience an inch in a day, provided you follow the post day diet and recovery.
    disagree, i have very high numbers in these lifts and my arms are still only just over 17 inches, genetics will play a big factor in how big your arms will develop most the time

Javerton when I said I was strong im referring mainly for my age (just turned 18) and weight(185-190) and im tall and all and just saying my arms dont look close to what I am capable of doing. Right now i'd say my bench is 275-280lbs. I'm pretty sure i just went up a little. Never have maxed on deadlift or squat, I do them but just dont see too much point in maxing because I always seem to hurt my lower back because i will sacrifice form, but id say deadlift is 4 area and idk about squat.

Oh and today I actually had a pretty good bicep workout
    Cant remember all the sets and reps but stuck to around 3 sets of 8-12
    But I did Hammer Strength Preacher curl machine for a couple sets then switched to ex curl bar preachers curls instead. I did lying high cable curls, barbell curls, and some reverse curls and hammer curls. Oh and a few high rep sets of one arm cable curls.

Needless to say I think that was a much better arm workout than I had been doing because I used to mainly do biceps as an afterthought after back

Quote Originally Posted by ranging1 View Post
    disagree, i have very high numbers in these lifts and my arms are still only just over 17 inches, genetics will play a big factor in how big your arms will develop most the time
    Wrong. You say you're 18 and "strong for your age." That is irrelevant, has absolutely nothing to do with it. You think your muscles will say to themselves "oh hai, he's strong for his age, let's give him a boost." How much do you deadlift/row/pulldown? Work on getting those numbers higher as you sound like you're pretty novice, judging by the neediness and the want it now attitude. Don't dodge the question either.

Also because of all those dumb variations you use. They have their place but all you need are one, and sometimes two. Work on overloading the muscle and gaining strength. Like the guys at EliteFTS say, best arm exercise is anything but a curl. Get a strong back and chest and you'll have strong arms.

Wrong. You say you're 18 and "strong for your age." That is irrelevant, has absolutely nothing to do with it. You think your muscles will say to themselves "oh hai, he's strong for his age, let's give him a boost." How much do you deadlift/row/pulldown? Work on getting those numbers higher as you sound like you're pretty novice, judging by the neediness and the want it now attitude. Don't dodge the question either.

Also because of all those dumb variations you use. They have their place but all you need are one, and sometimes two. Work on overloading the muscle and gaining strength. Like the guys at EliteFTS say, best arm exercise is anything but a curl. Get a strong back and chest and you'll have strong arms.
    im 19, deadlift 270kg, bench 170kg, pull down 150kg, dumbell row 80kg each arm and my arms are just over 17 inches

size doesnt come purely form strength, if that were true kai green wouldnt struggle to close grip bench press 150kg

and powerlifters who can bench over 1000 pounds wouldnt have arms 2-3 inches smaller then most bodybuilders

training styles, genetics and other various factors will determine you arm size, most people sturggle to get their arms EVER ober the 18 or 19 inch mark due to genetic abilites,

im 19, deadlift 270kg, bench 170kg, pull down 150kg, dumbell row 80kg each arm and my arms are just over 17 inches

size doesnt come purely form strength, if that were true kai green wouldnt struggle to close grip bench press 150kg

and powerlifters who can bench over 1000 pounds wouldnt have arms 2-3 inches smaller then most bodybuilders

training styles, genetics and other various factors will determine you arm size, most people sturggle to get their arms EVER ober the 18 or 19 inch mark due to genetic abilites,
    Damn, nice lifts mate. Of course it doesn't matter (to an extent of course) once you reach elite levels and already have a relatively advanced handle of your strength, like you. I just thought you were some kid because you were dodging the questions and doing 6 curl variations in one workout. You could try the link I posted, I wouldn't bother with 6 exercises though lol..

Javerton what are you even talking about, my neediness and want it now attitude? Sure I want bigger arms fast but its not like i'm assuming there is some magic workout to make that happen. Which question are you telling me not to dodge? I already posted a few numbers earlier.

And those "dumb variations" they wouldnt even have been created if they didnt work, by no means am I saying they are the best just stating that is what I did. Also that was 1 workout not my normal routine or anything. I was just shooting for a really good Pump and a decently taxing arm workout

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    You might be overtraining. there are a million possibilities as to what the problem could be

KZRSOIZE is offline Associate Member
    Given your height your biceps and triceps are probably much longer and would therefore be harder to get to grow. I like yourself have long biceps unlike some guys short biceps with high peaks. On bicep exercises make sure to extend the lift completely but dont hyper, this will train the entire muscle belly. Variations hammer curls superset bells with cables, they will grow bro. If your arms are lagging train them harder and smarter, eat plenty of protein and rest.

good luck to you brother.

alright thanks for the help guys

I just realised I was replying to ranging thinking he was the OP lol... I would read my posts again because they would certainly apply to the op.

Oh and hit the dips hard, they don't call them the upper body squat for no reason. Once you can do 10 reps with 3 45's strapped to you, I guarantee you will have massive arms.

ray0414 is offline Member
    your only 18. train and eat. ask again in 2-3 years.

make sure you train arms on their own day if u want size. make sure your eating ALOT of protein dense meals EVERY DAY. u must be consistant. some good excersizes for adding size to arms. Biceps: barbell curl with wide grip, make sure your form is good, go all the way down. dont let your elbows go outwords. preacher curl going down all the way. cable curls with a curly bar is good too. with dumbells do heavy hammers but make sure ur form is good for 8 reps and with biceps always bring the weight down in a controlled motion. For triceps: if u do skull crushers do them on an inclined bench. rope extensions. good mass builder too is reverse grip on the bench press. have your palms facing going behind you. another good one that blows my arms up is doing 1 arm rope extentions.pull the rope so that is is stretch out, do 1 arm over the head extentions, but going extend going in front of you, not straight up into the air. u have to put your back to the cable pulleys and face the other direction. hard to explain but hopefully u understand.

Quote Originally Posted by fattymcbutterpants View Post
    Oh and today I actually had a pretty good bicep workout
    Cant remember all the sets and reps but stuck to around 3 sets of 8-12
    But I did Hammer Strength Preacher curl machine for a couple sets then switched to ex curl bar preachers curls instead. I did lying high cable curls, barbell curls, and some reverse curls and hammer curls. Oh and a few high rep sets of one arm cable curls.

Needless to say I think that was a much better arm workout than I had been doing because I used to mainly do biceps as an afterthought after back
    did u do triceps? doing biceps after back i think is silly cause u zap ur bicep strenght. make sure you do tri's before bi's cause tri's make up 2/3 of your arm and u want to have your most strength for the biggest part of the arm so u can add size.

NVR2BIG1 is offline Banned
    1- eata ton
    2- focus the most on bench,squat,deadlift
    3- train arms very infrequent, once every7-10 days

Your entire body will grow and ur arms will follow suit

Valac is offline Member
    close grip under hand pull ups

Valac is offline Member
    thumb and fingers facing you, not the back of your hand,

aaronk88 is offline New Member
    Your workouts should focus on large compound movements first and foremost with isolation movements moved to the back of your workout.

aaronk88 is offline New Member
    Also want to add that large compound movements cause your body to produce more testosterone naturally than isolation movements because you incorporate much more into them.

laduem88 is offline Senior Member
    weighted dips, started doing them cause i never really did them weighted because id always do dips at the end when im tired, triceps have been blowing up

ranging2 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by laduem88 View Post
    weighted dips, started doing them cause i never really did them weighted because id always do dips at the end when im tired, triceps have been blowing up
    ^^^ great exercise, makes sure u lean back if you want to hit the triceps to their full extent, try not to lean forward alwise youll bring your chest in

skeldno is offline Member
    Add synthol to add 3 inches in 30 days. simples ;-)

ranging2 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skeldno View Post
    Add synthol to add 3 inches in 30 days. simples ;-)
    ^^^^^ this is the best advice ive seen yet

lol jokes

BPack10 is offline New Member
    In my experience I needed to gain bodyweight and get stronger for my arms to grow. If you are already training arms hard I don't think you will see much growth until these two things happen...

I think one thing you can try, which may seem counterintuitive is to STOP working them all together. You get plenty of stimulation from compounds and for beginners there really isn't a need to do them at all. Almost all guys just see there's no arm work and won't touch the routine with a 20 foot pole.

In most clients of trainers I know (beginner to intermediate) once they stopped working arms, progress increased (greatly in some cases).

I am aware most will not try this though.

stevey_6t9 is offline RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian - Veni Vidi Vici
    theres no secret to building arms, its just like any other bodypart. eating, rest, train hard and also genetics.

boz
    boz is offline R.I.P. T-Gunz Gone but, Never Forgotten.
    Quote Originally Posted by fattymcbutterpants View Post
    Ok, so I am 6'5" and pretty lean i'm about 9% bf. I'm strong for my weight and age, however I dont look like I can lift hardly anything. It bothers me so much that I can out lift alot of people on bicep and tricep related exercises, yet there arms are alot larger than mine.

So basically I am looking for some good arm workout for packing on some serious size. I do train them a pretty good bit so its not a matter of training them I think I just really need to find the right rep range and sets and exercises.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

thanks

fatty
    Mate its not only the right rep range sets and exercises u also need to workout, but its also the speed for your repetition which would be "SLOW" and i cant stress that word enough, with a rep range of 8 - 12, rest periods of 1 - 2 mins.

Do this and i can't doubt that u wont see size.

boz
    boz is offline R.I.P. T-Gunz Gone but, Never Forgotten.
    for biceps try doing one arm pull downs, but with a chinup grip, itl hit ur lats and biceps but ur biceps will be targeted the most

rep ranges should be between 8-10

as for triceps lately ive been getting GREAT size growth out of one arm overhead dumbell extensions

i usually get a 75 or 80 pound dumbell, sit in a preacher chair with my back to the pad, push the dumbell up above my head and do each arm one at a time, its a great exercise ot build tricep size and strength, and also help bring strength to ur shoulders

i personaly prob have the weakest arm genetics like urself, so its usually very hard for me to find exercises that work, my arms are like urs, strong as hell but size just doesnt seem to come on

so i do suggest u try these exercises, i also find that because of strong arm genetics u have to be careful to watch ur wrists, its very easy to injure them when your arms are strong, so i always try to train them with more compound movements, indirectly or with movements that dont strain ur wrists

hope this helps
    Speaking of wrists mate, i still got a wrecked wrist always have to wear a wrist brace while im in the gym, taken so long for it to heal. It still kinda hurts when lifting too. The wrist brace already is really damaged $50 down the drain so cut.

Thread Information