Thread: Pull Ups

bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member

Pull Ups

After reading up I heard that these are one of the best back/general upper body strength exercises out there, so I got a bar and put it up in my gym.

Just did them for the first time and wow I cant tell if it is my upper back or triceps that are hurting (kind of feels like both) but I am sore as hell!

I know that they work the upper back but what about the arms? I might have to switch up my routine if they hit the arms a lot too.

So besides the back what else do they work I can't really tell right now.

Also what about grip width, I have heard shoulder width and much wider, what is the difference in what muscles are getting worked? I think I read the narrower the grip the more it works the upper back is that correct?

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    no pulling movement should ever utilize triceps. all pulling movements utilize some bicep.
    I like a shoulder-width grip for back.

bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    no pulling movement should ever utilize triceps. all pulling movements utilize some bicep.
    Yeah it feels like it is more my delts after I tried to move my back and arms around a litttle bit.

ranging1 is offline Anabolic Member
    no pulling movement should ever utilize triceps. all pulling movements utilize some bicep.I like a shoulder-width grip for back.
    ^^^^^ agree

i personly like chinups with a angled grip, and pull ups with a v bar since it takes alot of rear delt requirment out of the movement and focuses more on biceps and lats

javerton is offline Associate Member
    They will be used as stabilisers and to an extent. I wouldn't worry about it.

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    Agreed.

I also like to use a false grip in back movements to take out the biceps somewhat.

bjpennnn is offline American Psycho
    me to, pull ups gave me the wings man. People always ask me how i get them and i just point to the pull up bar. I think it has to do a little with genetics, but i love pull ups for my back i feel like a beast after.

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    I'll do medium for a couple weeks then throw in wide and keep switching it up.

rmalouf is offline Associate Member
    wide grip has made me wider...whenever i do closer grips my arms get more of a workout.....n its probably ur rear delt that was sore..ive had that, its kinda weird that only the rear delt gets sore sometimes..

Thread Information