polly56 is offline Associate Member

why do my reps deline throughout sets?

I've been back training for a month and I've had tremendous results from when i first started out, but when i was benching 235lbs. for 4 sets of 8 reps, my reps went 8, 8, 6, 2. Can somebody please tell me why i had such a decline? is this normal because i certainly dont recall this happening to me in the past, does this mean i should be training differently?

aaronk88 is offline New Member
    It means you need to make a readjustment into your workout to shock your muscles because you aren't gaining any strength and your muscles are tiring out.

I woudlnt go as far as saying im not gaining any strength I've actaully made a pretty big jump this last month, It means i need to make a readjustment? what kind of readjustment?

aaronk88 is offline New Member
    Have you pretty much been following the same workout plan for a few months, or have you been changing it up a lot?

Try doing different rep ranges instead of what you are currently doing. Try doing different exercises to hit the same muscle groups. Your body adjusts to doing the same thing over and over, so you need to "shock" your muscles every few months.

javerton is offline Associate Member
    Yes it's normal depending on what you're doing. If you're going to failure and not resting long it's not surprising at all.

How long are you resting in between sets? If you're doing 8 reps you should be resting for 3 minutes, take a watch with you to time it.

You should also NOT be going to failure, only going one rep short on the last set. Straight sets same reps. You might get a few more reps on your last set and that's fine, go one rep to failure. If you miss a rep every once in a while it's no big deal either.
    Last edited by javerton; 02-09-2010 at 04:17 PM.

elfin1mf is offline Associate Member
    Not to failure? Why not? I mean I thought every set was one rep short of failure? That has worked quite well for me. If I do not train hard each set I never feel a pump at all.

Quote Originally Posted by javerton View Post
    Yes it's normal depending on what you're doing. If you're going to failure and not resting long it's not surprising at all.

How long are you resting in between sets? If you're doing 8 reps you should be resting for 3 minutes, take a watch with you to time it.

You should also NOT be going to failure, only going one rep short on the last set. Straight sets same reps. You might get a few more reps on your last set and that's fine, go one rep to failure. If you miss a rep every once in a while it's no big deal either.
    I'm resting no more then 2 minutes because thats what my program says to do but i think your right 3 minutes resti s what I'll need

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    You should be getting weaker with each subsequent set not stronger. If not, you are not training hard enough!

elfin1mf is offline Associate Member
    thats what I thought, thanks ronnie! I knew that if it wasnt broke, I shouldnt fix it hahaha

Myers99 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elfin1mf View Post
    thats what I thought, thanks ronnie! I knew that if it wasnt broke, I shouldnt fix it hahaha
    uhh i dont think he was agreeing with you... he just ment that their should be a decline in reps and if their isnt the exercise isnt intense enough..

I defintaly think you should be resting atleast 2 minutes and thirty seconds between each set

good luck,

mario_ps2 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowland View Post
    You should be getting weaker with each subsequent set not stronger. If not, you are not training hard enough!
    +1

Yes..that's what I thought..

javerton is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elfin1mf View Post
    Not to failure? Why not? I mean I thought every set was one rep short of failure? That has worked quite well for me. If I do not train hard each set I never feel a pump at all.
    Because going to failure does far more damage to the CNS than it does to the muscle. It is largely useless in most cases, and definitely useless in a case like yours. CNS takes longer to recover than the actual muscle does - training to failure leads to overtraining for the vast majority of people, ie those without elite genetics.

I don't see what the difference is between adding a rep a week going one rep short of failure on your last set and adding one rep on your last set going to failure - you're still overloading the muscle which is the whole idea. But in one you're training smart and in another you're just smashing your CNS unnecessarily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowland View Post
    See above. I'm glad it works for you, but in my experience and the experience of other trainers, it's largely useless..

Thread Information