mufc is offline New Member

Smith machine shoulder presses

Watched a couple of videos on youtube of jay cutler, he seems to bring the bar to his chest, although he does have the bench on a slight incline. I have always been tought to shoulder press until your arms reach 90 degrees, any lower and you risk injury. My front delt exercises are freeweight press which i do at a slight incline and bring them to 90 degrees. When smith pressing i have the bench upright about 4 inches back from the bar, i bring the bar down to where my arms reach 90 degrees and that is just touching my head. How do you guys do it, whats better? Input appreciated

stpete is offline Banned
    I see guys doing it that way sometimes, but they are few and far between. I've never even tried to bring it down that far. I position the bench the same as you and bring the bar down to the tip of my nose, then back up. Just the way i was taught to do it and the way i see a majority doing them.

ranging2 is offline Banned
    the lower you bring the bar the more you bring your stabalising muscle sin your shoulder in

mainly your rotating cuff mucles

IMO if you wanna train safely use machines, or a smith if you wish to bring the bar to your chest

when doing free weight 90 degrees is probably preferble, just make sure you have a spot, those last few reps you try to bring out can always tend to make you cheat,a nd this is where injurys are usually caused

Hate Being Small is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stpete View Post
    I see guys doing it that way sometimes, but they are few and far between. I've never even tried to bring it down that far. I position the bench the same as you and bring the bar down to the tip of my nose, then back up. Just the way i was taught to do it and the way i see a majority doing them.
    Thats what i do too

soulstealer is offline Anabolic Member
    I smith machine shoulder press and its been good to me... I usually bring the bar down to about chin level... the stretch I feel at the bottom is fantastic and I am getting great growth out of it... but I always warm up my rotator cuffs and always maintain control over the weight (no jerky motions)

DangerDave is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soulstealer View Post
    I smith machine shoulder press and its been good to me... I usually bring the bar down to about chin level... the stretch I feel at the bottom is fantastic and I am getting great growth out of it... but I always warm up my rotator cuffs and always maintain control over the weight (no jerky motions)
    Alogether with you in this one. When I could use the smith for shoulder press I too brought it down to chin level (maybe even a little lower), that stretch is great, good range of motion. My bench was not perfectly 90%, rather a little bit of an incline. works for me.

I ve had rotator cuff problems before so warming them up is very important to me. Got great results from the smith

BPack10 is offline New Member
    My shoulders don't seem to get the same amount of work if I don't go all the way down in Smith Machine shoulder presses. The same with Dumbbell and barbbell shoulder presses...

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    Everybody had different body mechanics. I come down to my chin when using the smith. I injured myself with barbell shoulder press so thats out.

graeme87 is offline Member
    I always come down to my chest, look at Olympic lifters doing the clean and jerk they have the bar at chest level.

Thread Information