JH0511 is offline Junior Member

Question Anyone tried the "S.A.I.S." method?

Im still training naturally. I was just curious if anyone has tried this method of training. It seems like you would need to add a few things that you know your body likes to each muscle group but is this a case of truely ...less is more?

Here is the article....

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jeff1.htm

Let me know what you think. I was previously doing WAY too many exercises daily and burning way too many calories... Would this be a good change for someone in my situation.. Heavier weights, same amount of food, less exercises, therefore less calories burned and more weight gained?

Thanks

Mods: If this is in the incorrect place could you please move to the correct area, I couldn't really decipher where to put it.

I have been doing this routine for 3 weeks now and I still get sore in every muscles group for atleast 1 day after...with my previous routine I was consistently doing 12-15 reps for 3 sets with about 11-14 exercises within a 1.5 hour period without getting sore.... except my legs

I just cant tell if its just that this is new to my body or if anyone has actually tried this method to know if it works on a "scientific" level.

oops by the way...stats

Height 5'10.5
    Weight 143
    Age 24
    BF% +/- 5%
    Last edited by JH0511; 02-12-2010 at 03:22 PM.

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    The fact that it is new to your body and you are sore is proof it is "working". This workout really isn't anything new except for the one last set with extremely high reps. If you are 5'10 and 143 I would say this type of workout isn't for you. I assume your goal is to pack on weight and get as strong as possible as quick as possible. These Once a week bodybuilding "magazine" workouts are not very good for someone in your position. I would reccomend something like Stronglifts or starting strength. If you wanna keep a bodybuilding type routine the IRON MAN HIT is a good choice. Below are links to the workouts. I dont see much talk on these boards about StrongLifts and SS(5x5 or 3x5 workouts). I know this is a bodybuilding forum and these are considered powerlifting workouts, but for a beginner(I am assuming you are) These types of workouts work the fastest on packing on weight. Only after you have a strong base should you move onto a once a week workout

3x5, 5x5
    3x3 and 5x5 routines

Stronglifts
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5...ining-program/

I just assumed you are a beginner due to your weight. What is your training experience, what are your goals?
    Last edited by Machdiesel; 02-12-2010 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Machdiesel View Post
    The fact that it is new to your body and you are sore is proof it is "working". This workout really isn't anything new except for the one last set with extremely high reps. If you are 5'10 and 143 I would say this type of workout isn't for you. I assume your goal is to pack on weight and get as strong as possible as quick as possible. These Once a week bodybuilding "magazine" workouts are not very good for someone in your position. I would reccomend something like Stronglifts or starting strength. If you wanna keep a bodybuilding type routine the IRON MAN HIT is a good choice. Below are links to the workouts. I dont see much talk on these boards about StrongLifts and SS(5x5 or 3x5 workouts). I know this is a bodybuilding forum and these are considered powerlifting workouts, but for a beginner(I am assuming you are) These types of workouts work the fastest on packing on weight. Only after you have a strong base should you move onto a once a week workout

3x5, 5x5
    3x3 and 5x5 routines

Stronglifts
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5...ining-program/

I just assumed you are a beginner due to your weight. What is your training experience, what are your goals?
    Mach,
    I have lifted on and off for a few years and got into in more religiously over the last year or maybe a lil longer...This is my old routine that I did for about 6 months strait and made major strength gains but no size gains, I went from around 8% body fat to 5% body fat using this workout below....read it and let me know if you think I have a good enough base to continue with this SAIS program..
    ...my workout days used to look like this......
    I would rotate it like this....

Push on Mon and Friday
    Pull on Wed
    Legs Tues and Thursday
    then the next week
    Pull on Mon and Friday
    Push on Wed
    Legs Tues and Thursday...

This workout was like a cardio workout that burned fat like nobodies business...at my size I went from 6-7% to 5% body fat in about 6 weeks...to me thats quite a bit of fat in that time frame but loosing body fat was never my intention I thought I could put on weight with that routine and I was WRONG!

Push movements...
    Chest press machine to warm up..
    Flat Bench...135lbs @ 12-15 reps for 3 sets
    Decline Bench... 135 @ 12-15 reps for 3 sets
    Incline Dumbell Press... 45 lbs each hand 10-12 reps for 3 sets
    Overhead dumbell tricept press...55lbs 12-15 reps for 3 sets
    Tricept cable pushdown....110lbs 12-15 reps for 3 sets
    reverse grip tricept cable pushdown ... 80lbs 12-15 reps for 3 sets
    Dumbell Tricept kickbacks... 25lbs 15 reps for 3 sets
    Unassited Dips - 12 - 15 reps for 3 sets
    Chest press machine to burn out 2 or 3 sets
    Torso Rotation machine
    Abs - Pikes and leg lifts
    lateral Shoulder raises 25 lbs each hand 12-15 reps, 3 sets
    Excise to work shoulder blade area...scapula i believe is the name sorry for not know that...Need to increase strength in that area

Pull movement days
    Warm up with 20lbs dumbell curls
    Standing Dumbell curl - 35 lbs 10-12 reps 3 sets
    Preacher Curl - 30 lbs each side of an EZ curl bar.. 10-12 reps, 3 sets
    Hammer Curl - 25 lbs 12-15 reps, 3 sets
    Dumbell Lat Row - 55lbs 15 reps, 3 sets
    Standing Row w/ EZ curl bar w/ 30 lbs on each side. 1-12 reps, 3 sets
    Standing barbell curl. 65lbs 10-12 reps, 3 sets
    Seated dumbell curl. 25lbs 10-15 reps, 3 sets
    Concentrated Curl to burn out 20lbs, 3 sets to burnout
    Lat Row Machine 80lbs, 12-15 reps, 3 sets
    Low Row machine 80lbs, 12-15 Reps, 3 sets
    Standing Row I do on a machine to work center of back, 30-40lbs....12reps, 3 sets
    Lateral Shoulder Raise, 25lbs each hand 12-15 reps, 3 sets
    Abs - Pikes and leg lifts

Leg day
    Leg Press machine to warm up
    Power cleans 90lbs. 12-15 reps, 3 sets
    Standing Calf raise, 90lbs 12-15 reps, 3 sets
    sitting calf raise, 70lbs, 12-15 reps, 3 sets
    Squats 135lbs 12-15 reps, 3 sets
    Kettle Bell Squat/Raise forward. 35lbs 12-15 reps, 3 sets
    Leg Extensions 70lbs, 12-15 reps 3 sets
    Leg Curl 85lbs, 12-15 reps, 3 sets
    Leg Press Machine, Use one foot Jump and slow myself down with one leg...Not sure of weight on this machine....each leg 15 reps, 3 sets
    I will also do Abs on Leg day....I know my leg day could be better...Im just not that much into having huge legs

Do you count your calories?? whats your diet?

Quote Originally Posted by Machdiesel View Post
    Do you count your calories?? whats your diet?
    Calories about 2700-3000 is the range i shoot for
    Macro nutrient break down 60%carbs, 30%protein, 10%fat

I am heavy on the shake side until lunch...I know its not the best way to get what i need but its what I have to do cutesy of my work schedule. Also my workouts are at roughly 5:30am-7:00am...which makes my eating before working out kinda hard...My pre-workout "meal" is a protein bar with 30g protein, 24g carbs....w/ gaspari superpump250 & glutamine powder drink.

Post workout I do a shake with 60g carbs, 30gram protein, and the same shake 1 hour later...then some sort of snack like nuts or something until lunch.

for the last 3 weeks....here are the weights i have been doing

Mon
    Bench Flat - 165x6x3
    Incline Bench - 120x10x2
    Bench machine - 90x20x1
    barbell Curls - 100x6x3
    Dumbbell Curls - 30x12x2
    EZ-Curl Bar with 20 on each side 20 reps x 1
    I add to the SAIS
    DB Flys 30each handx12x2
    DB Hammer Curls 25x12
    Preacher Curl 30 each side of easy curl bar x9x1

Tues
    Squats 200x8x1 - 200x7x2
    Leg Press machine - 280x15x2
    Hack Squats - 170x32...needed more weight

Wed - off

Thursday
    Behind Neck Preass 95x6x3
    Standing upright rows 35 each handx12x2
    military press machine - 75x20
    skull crusher 25lbs on each side of ez curl bar x11x2
    triceps pushdown 110x22
    I add Tricep kickbacks 25x15x3
    lateral raise 25 each handx15x3
    triceps reverse grip pushdown (palms up) 80x15x2

Friday
    front lat pulldown (cable machine) - plate 13.5x7x3
    seated cable row (cable machine) - plate 11x11x2
    dumbbell rows - 55x25
    standing calf raise - 220x7x2, 220x10x1 (need to go up)
    seated calf raise - 85x12x2
    bend-over calf raise machine - 140x40...need to go up
    I add...Wide grip pull ups to fail for 3 sets

If you wanna add size and you are not gaining weight then you have to add calories. It doesnt matter what workout you do you need to fuel your body. That being said I would go with one of the workouts I recommended. It's only 3 days a week so you will have plenty of time to recover and grow, you will get stronger every workout, and IMO you will see the best gains you ever experienced. At only 143lbs doing a bicep curl for 20 reps isnt going to do much to make your body grow.

Thread Information