NVR2BIG1 is offline Banned

seems like nobody does close grip bench anymore?

I hardly ever see anybody in the gym doing close grip anymore. All of these guys want big arms but ignore one of the single best exercises for big triceps, Close grip!!! Close grip!!!

awesome1 is offline Associate Member
    I like it but I am not confident on my form. When you do close grip, or regular bench for that matter, do you point your elbows out to the side more, or do you keep you elbows closer in to your body?

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    I dont do close grip anymore. I have to many shoulder problems and something about that lift hurts them. Instead I do weighted dips, which dont hurt my shoulders at all.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    I use to do loads of them and they were in my routine for years but I dont do them much anymore, they are a a great builder and if your weak in this area they are worth trying for sure.

scorpion62 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NVR2BIG1 View Post
    I hardly ever see anybody in the gym doing close grip anymore. All of these guys want big arms but ignore one of the single best exercises for big triceps, Close grip!!! Close grip!!!
    I agree close grip,I do this all the time when Iam working my tris and elbows in

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    I have a question about the grip on Close Bench also. Basicaly there are two ways of doing it. One way is to bring your elbows in, almost touching your side, so when you bring the weight down it come to your stomach, and you feel the weight "drop" on your triceps. The other way is to have your elbows flared out just like a normal bench press. This way you can not push as much weight as the other way, and In my experience you feel it more on your shoulders and chest. Which is the proper way, or are both ok but target diff muscles?

DangerDave is offline Associate Member
    Still do it every week. Love it. My elbows come out a little bit but I push the weight above my sternum at a bit of an angle, not directly to the ceiling. Then contract the tris. Great exercise

njviking is offline Junior Member
    close grip bench, skull-crushers & weighted dips are the best imo for mass and pure strength gains for developing those three headed monsters.

most peeps I see at the gym tend to try and close-grip to much weight as if they were benching and that results in poor form. the key is to keep those elbows in as much as you can. so if you have to go lighter do so but form is the key imo. after banging out 3-4 sets of the above and 3-4 sets of reverse cable pushdowns your tri's should be screaming for mercy.

over812 is offline Junior Member
    Due to shoulder problems, I no longer do close grip bench, that being said, they are an excellent mass building exercise for your tri's...I miss 'em. If you're gonna do 'em, keep those elbows in to isolate the triceps and feel the burn!

dangerous dan is offline Anabolic Member
    Glad to see this thread, i was doing them this morning, why does it feel so shit on elbows?? is my form wrong or somthing??

njviking is offline Junior Member
    how many plates you pressing dan? i see peeps that flare their elbow out way to much most likely cause they are using to much weight. i think flaring out your elbows engages your pecs - thus defeating the purpose. try less weight and to minimize stress on your wrists dont come down as far as you would if benching.

dangerous dan is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by njviking View Post
    how many plates you pressing dan? i see peeps that flare their elbow out way to much most likely cause they are using to much weight. i think flaring out your elbows engages your pecs - thus defeating the purpose. try less weight and to minimize stress on your wrists dont come down as far as you would if benching.
    i was thinking the same mate. im bringing the bar all the way down keeping my elbows in tight, i think im coming down to far now you say, it feels fukin horrible on my elbows

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    I do close grip on chest day and use a very low weight and keep elbows out and squeeze with my chest. this is more of a pump exercise for chest, and it stimulates the triceps very well which brings me right into my tricep routine. 3 sets elbows out, really light weight (squeeze chest and tris at the top) for 16 reps, then close grip elbows in for 1-2 sets, then triceps only.

NVR2BIG1 is offline Banned
    I'll have to admit, my elbows flare out a good bit, but when I do them with elbows in for me its the opposite, thats when I feel it more in my chest, not to mention I'm straining my shoulders to hold my elbows in like that. Maybe I should lighten the weight a little more, I normally get to 315 on close grips

2crazy is offline New Member
    When elbows are out it hits harder on chest when elbows are tucked in targets more triceps.

MotoLifter is offline Senior Member
    big fan of this movement. i keep the elbows in pretty tight bringing the bar about 1-2 inches from my chest which brings my elbows ever so slightly past parallel. then explode up. I have had shoulder problems for awhile but for some reason this movement doesnt bother them or my elbows.

Upright rows on the other hand have me in tears the next few days.

Moto

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoLifter View Post
    big fan of this movement. i keep the elbows in pretty tight bringing the bar about 1-2 inches from my chest which brings my elbows ever so slightly past parallel. then explode up. I have had shoulder problems for awhile but for some reason this movement doesnt bother them or my elbows.

Upright rows on the other hand have me in tears the next few days.

Moto
    I agree 100 percent about the shoulder, def dont feel it at all when i keep my elbows in. I used to superset skull crushers and CGBP. Id use an ezbar for skull crushers, do 12, then put it up in the bench position, pop my hands close and do rep till failuer, HUDGE PUMP!!!

Thread Information