bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member

Proper breathing

Wow, don't ever take this for granted.

I have been working out for a while now and never had any issues related to my breathing but the past couple days I had a big scare. At first I was puzzled/concerned but after doing a little reading I am certain this was the issue especially under heavy loads and right at the end of my sets when I was pushing hard.

Apparently I was inadvertently holding my breath on the last few reps and would get these extremely painful migraines that hit like the back to top of my head, and almost a dizzy lightheaded feeling. I mean excruciating pain, like I had to sit down and collect myself type stuff.

At first I was pretty scared because in all the time I spent in the gym I NEVER had anything like this happen before. Then I looked it up and saw the oxygen to the brain can be cut off if you are holding your breath, leading to just the things I was experiencing.

I will never go through that again, but I am glad I figured it out that was a bit scary to say the least considering the region of my body that was being affected.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this?

soulstealer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigslick7878 View Post
    Wow, don't ever take this for granted.

I have been working out for a while now and never had any issues related to my breathing but the past couple days I had a big scare. At first I was puzzled/concerned but after doing a little reading I am certain this was the issue especially under heavy loads and right at the end of my sets when I was pushing hard.

Apparently I was inadvertently holding my breath on the last few reps and would get these extremely painful migraines that hit like the back to top of my head, and almost a dizzy lightheaded feeling. I mean excruciating pain, like I had to sit down and collect myself type stuff.

At first I was pretty scared because in all the time I spent in the gym I NEVER had anything like this happen before. Then I looked it up and saw the oxygen to the brain can be cut off if you are holding your breath, leading to just the things I was experiencing.

I will never go through that again, but I am glad I figured it out that was a bit scary to say the least considering the region of my body that was being affected.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this?
    Bwahahahaha!!! been there done that...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valsalva_maneuver

Can you believe that your actually performing a maneuver?

bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soulstealer View Post
    Bwahahahaha!!! been there done that...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valsalva_maneuver

Can you believe that your actually performing a maneuver?
    That is one "maneuver" I never want to perform again.

It felt like the back of my head was going to explode.

Thanks for the link.

soulstealer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigslick7878 View Post
    That is one "maneuver" I never want to perform again.

It felt like the back of my head was going to explode.

Thanks for the link.
    ya it feels like your head is going to explode... done it a few times in my life bleh...

Just2Big is offline Associate Member

Proper breathing

By not blowing air out on heavy lift you actually raise you blood pressure at that moment 3X or 4x what it is. It is extreamly bad not to breath durring weight training.

Thread Information