jbk
    jbk is offline New Member

AM empty stomach cardio vs. post work out cardio? FOR FAT BURN

Ive been doing the research here and I've been getting mixed reviews.

I am not a morning person and hate cardio on a treadmill which I have at home. I enjoy doing HIIT style cardio on the elipical at the gym which I have been doing after my work out.

my first question is, will there be that much of a difference between am empty cardio and post work out? I understand that glycogens drop in both scenarios but empty stomach cardio seems to make more sense.

second, if i plan to stick to PWO cardio should I try to make sure I dont eat for like 2-3 hours before I work out to have sort of an empty stomach by the time its time for PWO cardio ?

I also have been using only NATTY pb for my fats eating a table spoon of it an hour or two before bed as my last meal of the day. How crucial is the fish oil?

over812 is offline Junior Member
    IMHO, my body reacts better if I do cardio in the mornings on an empty stomach. It feels like I'm forcing my body to go to my fat reserves for energy. I don't do cardio on days I lift, that's just my personal preference.

I like to take in whey protein within 30 minutes after I hit the weights, my body is looking for protein at that point, if I stayed at the gym to do cardio, I might miss that window.

Natty pb is good but I try to take it during the day if at all, again personal preference.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    depends on your bf %. high bf then am is good, low bf then I don't recommend. But it also depends on your bodytype.

8iron is offline Associate Member
    ive gotten better results when i do empty stomach cardio in the morning, ive done both a lot and my body just responds better to the morning cardio! I think a lot depends on you and what your body responds to better! Try them both and see what works better for you!

jbk
    jbk is offline New Member
    i think im going to do both i look like shit right now... gotta lost atleast 15% body fat before summer hits

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    I do both, 30 in the AM and 30 PWO.

edgarr is offline Member
    would doing cardio 2-3 hours after eating be the same as doing it on an empty stomach?

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    I do both, 30 in the AM and 30 PWO.
    I agree, this would be ideal for those wanting to shed the fat. The only thing that concerns me about 30 min pwo cardio is I know 1-1/2 hours in the gym is a bit overboard for some. How long due you limit your weight sessions before PWO cardio? Due take in BCAA's before the pwo cardio?

im9boss is offline Junior Member
    isn't doing cardio after a workout kind of counter productive? after a workout you want to be in an muscle building state. if i do cardio after i make sure i hit a protein drink

Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    I agree, this would be ideal for those wanting to shed the fat. The only thing that concerns me about 30 min pwo cardio is I know 1-1/2 hours in the gym is a bit overboard for some. How long due you limit your weight sessions before PWO cardio? Due take in BCAA's before the pwo cardio?
    My weight sessions are usually 30-40 minutes, never take anything during weights or prior to doing cardio. I have done 60 minutes PWO for extended periods of time while preparing for a contest.

Quote Originally Posted by im9boss View Post
    isn't doing cardio after a workout kind of counter productive? after a workout you want to be in an muscle building state. if i do cardio after i make sure i hit a protein drink
    Every time I think this myth has died it gets brought up again. Your "anabolic window" does not slam shut immediately after working out. You have plenty of time to knock out your cardio then eat some food.

im9boss is offline Junior Member

Every time I think this myth has died it gets brought up again. Your "anabolic window" does not slam shut immediately after working out. You have plenty of time to knock out your cardio then eat some food.
    good to know. whats plenty of time = ?

POPS is offline Senior Member
    Fireguy is right on the money. But remember that your body might not act like mine or his. You have to feel it out for yourself.

Since I started doing am cardio on an empty stomach I have noticed a HUGE difference. I do not do it all the time but when work prevails then I will. If not I do 50 min pwo....

jmo.....

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    My weight sessions are usually 30-40 minutes, never take anything during weights or prior to doing cardio. I have done 60 minutes PWO for extended periods of time while preparing for a contest.
    Good to know, thanks for the info! I need to get my weight sessions down to 30-40 mins, right now they are right at 1hr. I think I tend to overtrain on some muscle groups...I guess less exercises and rest in between sets is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by im9boss View Post
    good to know. whats plenty of time = ?
    I dont think anyone can give you an exact amount of time but it's more than enough to knock out an average length cardio session.

edgarr is offline Member
    So do you guys think doing cardio 2 hours or so after you eat would be considered an empty stomach or do you need to consider what was ate and what the macros were? I have a fast metabolism

Little Herc is offline Associate Member
    I don't understand why it matter tdee = 3500 = 1lb. It doent realy matter when u do it the calories are gonna be burned. Weather it takes directly from fat the food you eat or even muscle the new food your eating has to be converted into something.

Little Herc is offline Associate Member
    Obviously u dont want muscle to be burned but if u only hit the cardio hard a 3 months a year like me I just do it whenever and I'm proud of myself when im done

Quote Originally Posted by Little Herc View Post
    I don't understand why it matter tdee = 3500 = 1lb. It doent realy matter when u do it the calories are gonna be burned. Weather it takes directly from fat the food you eat or even muscle the new food your eating has to be converted into something.
    Because we have the power to manipulate it is why. I do agree, doing your cardio at anytime is going to have its benefits but you can optimize its effects by doing it at select times, intensities and durations.

AlphaMaleDawg is offline Senior Member
    I try to avoid too much cardio. I did cardio every day last time I cut (when i was natural) and lost a lot of muscle (also fat but still)

I'm personally better off with a lower cal diet but minimal cardio

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMaleDawg View Post
    I try to avoid too much cardio. I did cardio every day last time I cut (when i was natural) and lost a lot of muscle (also fat but still)

I'm personally better off with a lower cal diet but minimal cardio
    If you lost muscle while doing cardio it was more than likely because of a poorly designed diet and not from the cardio.

AlphaMaleDawg is offline Senior Member
    If you lost muscle while doing cardio it was more than likely because of a poorly designed diet and not from the cardio.
    yes I kept lowering my calories when I didnt need to because I was already losing fat so that did have a lot to do with it. If I hasnt done any cardio and still ate the same, I would not have lost as much muscle. I also wasnt on aas so I was more easily able to lose some mass and strength. I got it all back though

Thread Information