grapejuice11 is offline Junior Member

running before or after lifting

Hey guys i was jw if its better to run before you workout or after...cause somethings i read it says run after cause you wont be able to lift as hard etc and then other say to run before cuase if you run after youll burn muscle..so your opinions would help a lot thank you

Frank1 is offline New Member
    Everyones different. What works for one guy, may not work for the other guy. For me personally, I keep cardio for post workout. I dont run because I tend to loose strength in my legs. Stair master or staionary bike does me well. I also have a more productive workout when I do cardio after as opposed to doing it before.

over812 is offline Junior Member
    I alternate cardio one day, weights the next etc... Running is tough on my knees so I switched to cardio machines years ago. Frank's right, it's really individual preference and what gives you the best results.

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    I do cardio after, cause I'm a fan of high intensity cardio
    I think you have plenty of time to get home after, get food in and start building muscle

really it shouldn't matter
    either you're burning muscle from the cardio cause you're working out after the weightlifting depleated glycogen or the other way around. what's the difference.

anyway, I get my sweat on pretty good durring a cardio workout
    then to lift after sliming all the machines and my grip on them
    plus I'd rather lift when I'm not wiped out so I can lift as heavy as possible

maybe if you do cardio with less intensity it somehow works out
    but I'd say whatever you prefer

arejay is offline Associate Member
    cardio after working out allows you to tap into that fat stores and burn those all up because you have depleted most glycogen from your body. therefore the onlything left to burn is fat. now if your a runner then you would want to run first so you have the energy to train the hardest at what your training for.

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    Quote Originally Posted by arejay View Post
    cardio after working out allows you to tap into that fat stores and burn those all up because you have depleted most glycogen from your body. therefore the onlything left to burn is fat.

You sure about that?

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    cardio after, i like high intensity bag work....cant beat it!...

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    the big thing are you running just as a form of cardio.. or are you needing to run for a reason.

ImACrazyJewDaddy is offline Associate Member
    From the info Ive gathered on here, and I had pretty much posted this question before....If your goin for FATLOSS, then run post-workout. But keep your HR at about 60-65% of your Max tho. What arejay said is pretty much correct, but you cant get your hr too high bcuz then your body will go after the protein/muscles because of the glycogen bein depleted from them. someone correct me if Im wrong

stokedv is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post

You sure about that?
    woooooah he said some shiet
    OP : read this thread lots of great info here..

Cardio and Glycogen
    Last edited by stokedv; 02-27-2010 at 10:04 PM.

BPack10 is offline New Member
    As others stated, I wouldn't run at all if you want to keep as much muscle as possible. I do my cardio in the morning and lift later in the day when cutting down. By the time my afternoon workout rolls around I am ready to go. I would agree ImACrazyJewDaddy that you want to keep your heart rate low. If you have to do cardio and lifting in the same session I would definitely do cardio second. You will be much stronger and will see more physique improvements...

BPack10 is offline New Member

LatissimusaurousRex is offline Senior Member
    Not a lot I can say that hasn't been said all ready, but I'll try and sum it up for you...

If at all possible do cardio and lifting in seperate workouts

If in the same workout it's just a matter of doing what's more important to you first, whichever you do first you're gonna have more energy for it's that simple. For most people it would be lifting, cause you wanna blow your load uping your lifts obviously.

Thread Information