bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member

How to get a true measure of bodyfat

Ok so I just got one of these caliper bodyfat tools today and if this is not the most worthless thing I have ever seen I don't know what is.

So many ways to get a different reading every time it is pretty useless if you ask me. The first time I tried to do it I got 27% LOL, and I am 5'10 195 with hardly any fat on me.

Are there any other ways to get a real measure of your bodyfat? Any special scales or something?

CMonkey is offline Associate Member
    Someone who has some experience with calipers should be able to get you a real good idea. If you have a trainer in your gym ask them. The electronic scales are junk. The only real good way is to go and get dunked, i have never done it, so I don't have any idea on price.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by bigslick7878 View Post
    Ok so I just got one of these caliper bodyfat tools today and if this is not the most worthless thing I have ever seen I don't know what is.

So many ways to get a different reading every time it is pretty useless if you ask me. The first time I tried to do it I got 27% LOL, and I am 5'10 195 with hardly any fat on me.

Are there any other ways to get a real measure of your bodyfat? Any special scales or something?
    How did you arrive at the 27% number?

POPS is offline Senior Member

call your community college. In my hometown theres a university that has a Human Performance Lab where they have the " dunk tank " to test bf and it only costs $45.00

I cant hurt to ask.....

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    How did you arrive at the 27% number?
    They tell you to take 3 measurements, one on the pec, stomach and thigh.

Then they have a chart to add up all the numbers to find out what the total is and it gives you the number.

This is it....

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bb...atcaliper.html

But the thing is it is so easy to get different reading depending on how tight you keep it to your skin and a bunch of other variables. After I got the first reading I tried it again and got like 18%, but that was with me knowing there was no way for the first one to be right and me trying to adjust it somehow.

It can't possibly be an accurate way to measure.

What is this "dunked" thing that was referred to?
    Last edited by bigslick7878; 04-07-2010 at 12:50 PM.

POPS is offline Senior Member
    They tell you to take 3 measurements, one on the pec, stomach and thigh.

Then they have a chart to add up all the numbers to find out what the total is and it gives you the number.

This is it....

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bb...atcaliper.html

But the thing is it is so easy to get different reading depending on how tight you keep it to your skin and a bunch of other variables. After I got the first reading I tried it again and got like 18%, but that was with me knowing there was no way for the first one to be right and me trying to adjust it somehow.

It can't possibly be an accurate way to measure.

What is this "dunked" thing that was referred to?
    A friend at had it done and they tell you to wear the least amount of clothing as possible, for us it would be a speedo and they put you in a tank of water and youre supposed to let out as much air as possible then " dunk " yourself under water until they bring you out. I would imagine it takes only a few seconds but I guess they measure the water before then after and take in consideration your body and then they have your bf.....

Dont quote me on the process but I would call some colleges and ask. If a huge university in Chicago can do it for the public why cant anybody else??

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    A three site body caliper is completely useless. A 7 point or better yet a 9 will yield accurate results.
    Step By Step, How to do a 9 Site Body Comp

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    I know your frustration with measuring... not necessarily bodyfat, but when I measure my waist I use a tailor's tape, and when we're looking for 1/4 inch changes, it's SO easy to get a different reading every time depending on how loose or tight the tape is. It's almost impossible to measure it with the exact same 'tightness' every time.

PC650 is offline Senior Member
    A three site body caliper is completely useless. A 7 point or better yet a 9 will yield accurate results.
    hes right three site is a useless way to measure. 7 point is a lot better but dunk testing is the most accurate way to test body fat

That's what I figured, took me about 30 seconds and I realized how inaccurate it had to be. It came free with an order so I thought I might as well try.

I will have to look into those 7 or 9 pt ones.

Thanks.

I just searched dunk test body fat and this came up, interesting.

http://www.mobilebodyanalysis.com/index.html

No clue how to find out where it is going to be, if anyone can figure it out let me know. Says to click on calender but nothing is there.

The only dunk tests are mainly in Southern California, and there are not a lot of them in general.
    Last edited by bigslick7878; 04-07-2010 at 03:19 PM.

Abominator is offline Banned
    I believe hydrostatic body fat testing is the most accurate to date. It can be a pain in the ass finding someone that has the necessary equipment, though

ronaldgillcrist is offline New Member
    I hope they are various parameters for making body fit..but still many people are in search of getting the best.here is one of the best measure from my own experience is i have chosen a best trainer which helped me a lot.

Hope this might help for you guys

Abominator is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldgillcrist View Post
    I hope they are various parameters for making body fit..but still many people are in search of getting the best.here is one of the best measure from my own experience is i have chosen a best trainer which helped me a lot.

Hope this might help for you guys
    lol what?

Thread Information