mgs83 is offline Associate Member

workout routine....looking to get more size on the arms...help!

hey whats up guys, i got a few questions. I want to get my arms bigger, i got a good back, chest, traps, etc, but i want to ge tmy arms blown up some more.
    Right now i am on a cutting diet, im taking in 2700 cals/day, split to 150-190carbs/315g protein/50-60g fat.

my routine is as follows:

Monday- Chest, abs
    Tuesday- Back, abs
    Wednesday - Bi's and Tri's (i super set arms, one bi, right after one tri)
    Thursday- Shoulders, abs
    Friday- Legs, abs.

I do cardio for about 45mins after each workout

I typically do 3 sets for each excercise, start out with 12 reps, increase weight for 10-15 pounds for second set, then i do 10 reps. Add 10-15 more pounds, then do 8 reps.

I dont know if i got my weight to rep ration down right for maximum growth. What maybe should i be using for weight when it comes to arms, and how many sets/reps should i be doing to really rip em up so they heal and get huge!

Any help would be great,thanks guys!

evil30 is offline Junior Member
    Abs need to be rested atleast a day between workouts.

You can see good size gains from really holding the negatives and reverse curls also work well for me. Remember to blast those tris as they are the largest muscle in the arm.

thanks man, how many excericises you think are good for each muscle, i do 3-4 exercises for bi's then tri's....

any one else, i could use some more opinions/help......arms are one things i wanna bulk up bigtime, am willing to try anything

BigBuck6 is offline Associate Member
    3-4 exercises sounds about right. T-bar rows blow up arms like no other and that is why I recommend them often. As for tris, stick with heavy compound movements such as close grip bench press, weighted dips, etc.

sweet, big buck, T-bar rows are what exactly, so many exercises, sometimes i loose track!

any more suggestions?? more along the lines of weight and reps? i want to maximize gains.....

rickrick55 is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries
    i usually see the most growth when i go high in reps..12-20, but it is specific to the individual..as well as the weight you push..

GS4
    GS4 is offline Junior Member
    I do 4 sets 10 reps heavy enough so I have a proper technique, positive and slow on the negative, I have pretty big arms for my weight, and yes triceps are a must for big arms

BigBuck6 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rickrick55 View Post
    i usually see the most growth when i go high in reps..12-20, but it is specific to the individual..as well as the weight you push..
    While I personally only stay in the rep range of 4-8 for most of my workouts, I would suggest the higher end of right around 8-12 for hypertrophy for most people. He said it best, everyone has their one specific needs and everybody's body responds differently to stimulus.

thanks guys, ya, i typically go heavier, i start out at 10-12 reps for my first, usually 12, then add weight, drop it to 10, then go heaviest, and do 8 reps, typically 3 sets of each exercise.....are three sets sufficient? or should i be doing more you think? yesterday i did arms, and i did 4 exercises for bi's n tri's, my arms were killing me yesterday, i super set arm workouts, one bi, immediately after on tri, and so on....is that good practice?

6ft5 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgs83 View Post
    thanks guys, ya, i typically go heavier, i start out at 10-12 reps for my first, usually 12, then add weight, drop it to 10, then go heaviest, and do 8 reps, typically 3 sets of each exercise.....are three sets sufficient? or should i be doing more you think? yesterday i did arms, and i did 4 exercises for bi's n tri's, my arms were killing me yesterday, i super set arm workouts, one bi, immediately after on tri, and so on....is that good practice?
    What part of your arms are lagging, hit those first. First set imo, should be basic for bi and tri. Example straight bar curls and skull crushers your still warming up so u could do 5 sets/ 2 warm ups 3 working each. Then hit the concentration curls w/ v bar press down 3 working sets, if it feels good do a dropset, makes 4. 3 sets reverse curls w/ kick backs if feels good do a drop set.. I'd keep reps in the 8-15 range. I also do one exercise on back or chest day if it doesent mess up my split for the week. Also you only need to hit your abbs 2-3 times a week. And if your burning up all your cals on cardio and things you WON'T grow. Rest and food is how you grow. Best luck!

thank bro, that was some good info, ya my tri's are pretty defined, my bi's are getting there, i am taking in 300g protein, 150-180g carbs and 50-60g fat per day, so i am eating frequently, but i am on a cutting diet, not bulking, so that is what maybe is not making me put on the more drastic size i want huh? i wanted to cut down to around 200 lean or 195 then start bulking, taking in around 3500 to 4000cals. To answer your question on what part of my arms is lagging, id say the bi's but do be honest, i want to bulk up both......i normally do skull crushers, v bar pressdowns, concentrations curls, hammers curls, incline curls, etc, ill keep my reps in the 8-15 range, increasing weight each set, then do one drop down, i typically have been doing the drop set

6ft5 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgs83 View Post
    thank bro, that was some good info, ya my tri's are pretty defined, my bi's are getting there, i am taking in 300g protein, 150-180g carbs and 50-60g fat per day, so i am eating frequently, but i am on a cutting diet, not bulking, so that is what maybe is not making me put on the more drastic size i want huh? i wanted to cut down to around 200 lean or 195 then start bulking, taking in around 3500 to 4000cals. To answer your question on what part of my arms is lagging, id say the bi's but do be honest, i want to bulk up both......i normally do skull crushers, v bar pressdowns, concentrations curls, hammers curls, incline curls, etc, ill keep my reps in the 8-15 range, increasing weight each set, then do one drop down, i typically have been doing the drop set
    Try after your warm up keep sets at 8 reps all the way threw. With more weight. They will adapt and grow. Less reps less joint pain. Try for 3 weeks and see what happens. Also I don't really rely on cardio for fat loss as much as diet. I will bump it a bit for the summer time honeys tho.

6ft5 is offline Member
    If you do cardio after your workout have your protien and oat or wheat before cardio. So you won't be starving your muscles. Also if your not takeing fish oil try 10g ed split w fatty meals. It will help lean you out.

so your saying try 8 reps for the remainng 3 sets huh? do my warm up of 15 reps, then get heavy and do 8? would you suggest that for all other body parts to, like back, chest, etc? or is that good for arms only to get them big........i do the same for all body parts, start at like 12, then 10, 8 reps, getting heavier each set. For me, i had some fat i wanted to shed off, but without cardio man its not gonna happen, at least not as fast, cardio is key for me, gets your cardiovascular health stronger as well......i gotta get the fish oil pills to! the omega fats r a must!

polly56 is offline Associate Member
    I would warm up, do 3 sets of 8 at high intensity and for arm only exercises do 12-15 reps

Thread Information