THORSZ is offline Member
    Blog Entries

mixing high and low reps in same WO

I have always done sets of 8 reps. I am now trying something new where I do 3 sets at 8 reps and the 2 at 8 to 12 reps. My thought is the low reps for power and then burn out the muscle with two set of high reps to add muscle size. I know people dedicate entire WO's to low or high, but any success mixing the two?

I've had some great results in the way you're talking. When I have used high reps (usually higher then what you're doing..about 12-15 usually), I have used them in accordance to pre exhausting the muscle. I've had problems along the years with certain body parts dictating my strength and growth because they over power other parts.

Also, I have done this as warm ups too. I always tend to keep my warm up set with a higher reps. It just always worked for me.

Bottom line though, if you're trying to add size and what you're doing now isn't working something needs to be changed. Whether that be diet, or routine is purely on you. But to effectively answer your question, yes when I personally have mixed both styles, they have worked pretty well.

XxRydnxX is offline Junior Member
    If I were to do high and low's, I'd switch it up everyother week. Say four sets per exercise,I'd do first set 60% with high reps. Then go 100% on the next 3 sets with 6-8 reps.Then switch it up next week...Go 100% on the first 3 sets and 60% on the 4th.
    I've had good results doing this method.

jg2
    jg2 is offline Associate Member
    i stay at 6-8 reps with most exercises but at the end of every muscle group i pick a different exercise to do a 1- high rep set for a super pump and burn 20+ reps... example.... say im doing bi's..... i will do my workout and on the last set of my exercise i will do a high 20+ rep of say hammer curls... next time i do them i will end with a different movement but same reps.. next time i do bi's i might end with a straight bar curls.... love the complete fatigue and pump of a locked up lactic acid filled muscle.

Thread Information