bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member

Is all weight pushed equal?

Example..

I do X exercise 150lbs x 10 reps x 10 sets = 15,000lbs pushed

Or I do 100lbs x 19 reps x 8 sets = 15,200lbs pushed

Is there a fatigue factor from the extra reps in the 2nd example that must be accounted for?

Just trying to figure out what the equivalent is when I go from low rep to high rep.

ScottyDog is offline Junior Member
    Time is a factor. The length of time it took to "push" x lbs can give you lbs per minute workload. If I remember correctly, Pete Sisco's "Power Factor Training" uses this formula. It seems like an easy way to gauge progress based on weight/reps/time.

In this case: 15k lbs in say, 30 minutes, is 500lbs/min.
    15.2k in 35 minutes is ~434lbs/min

The heavier workout would appear to be more intense in this instance.

Pete's formula has more math to it, which gives you an actual rating number to go off of. Basically, as long as something increases each workout(weight,reps,time), you are making progress.

rocheey is offline Junior Member
    But where do you figure "Time Under Tension" ? or don't you ?

ScottyDog is offline Junior Member
    I personally don't track TUT, just my total workout time. This works because my rest periods are timed. If you don't time your rest periods, then track just total TUT.

Thanks scotty I will have to look into what you mentioned. I also track exactly how much weight I push in a given amount of time for every workout, if there was a formula out there it would make it easier to figure out when switching.

Quote Originally Posted by rocheey View Post
    But where do you figure "Time Under Tension" ? or don't you ?
    I was wondering this as well after reading the post again, obviously it takes twice as long to do 18 reps as it would to do 9 or so.

In my case I do sets every other minute regardless of reps, so total workout time would be the same basically but the TUT would not.

Arian is offline Associate Member
    It also depends on what you're going for. Total weight doesn't really matter much. Because if you do 10 sets of 20 reps with light weight, you're not going to have the muscles grow the same as doing 3 sets of 10 reps with heavy weight. It's just not the same at all.

< 8 reps = strength

8 - 12 reps = size

> 12 reps = endurance

Just depends on what you want to work on. Also, rest time is a big factor. Rest longer for strength and less for endurance.

I just tested this out, went from 5 rep sets to 10 rep sets at 1/2 the weight.

Same break in between, had no problem doing an equal number compared to the 5 rep sets.

Will do this with a few more workouts and see what the results are.

Did this with a few more workouts, and actually with the heavier weights I could do less compared to the lighter weights! I actually felt like I could keep going and going with the lighter stuff, with the heavy no way I would get to a point and just could not go anymore.

For example I was doing side lateral raises with 25lb dumbbells for 16 reps x 5 sets ( and probably could have squeezed out another set), every other minute break. Tried 50lber's 8 reps each and only could do like 4.5 sets til complete failure and that last half a set was brutal.

What does that mean??

I had been doing the 16 reps for a while, like a month straight, but before that mainly did heavier stuff.(not quite as heavy as the example but close).

Thread Information