AllAlone is offline Junior Member

Constant Arch in lower back.

Incline press, military press...anything that is not a flat press I have a hard time keeping my back straight or against the bench leading to back pain...any suggestions?

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    raise ur feet, using a few plates or wateva u can find as long as its sturdy

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Lighter weight. I see way to many people who lift their back off the bench. IE cheating and putting themselves at risk.

Use lighter weight until you have good form.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Lighter weight. I see way to many people who lift their back off the bench. IE cheating and putting themselves at risk.

Use lighter weight until you have good form.
    Flat bench press is no problem...anything over that is where I lose my form. This is only my 3rd week back in 7 months so the weight is as light as it has ever been....but if I don't wrap a belt around the bench and myself I can't control it. Is that ab work?

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    No you are still using to much weigh. It may be the lightest you have ever done but it's to much. Start with the bar and force your form to be where it should and go up from there. Dont let your ego get in the way of form.

goodlifting is offline Associate Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh3t6T-nqP0

yeah im kinda confused on this too. tate seems to arch his back super tight. is this only for powerlifting? im more interested in bodybuilding and developing a big chest.

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAlone View Post
    Incline press, military press...anything that is not a flat press I have a hard time keeping my back straight or against the bench leading to back pain...any suggestions?
    Military press

Put your butt back so its practically in the crack of the seat. I mean as far as you can get it back. Find a comfortable place for your feet that has them flat on the ground stabilizing you. When my form breaks down on this exercise it is usually because my butt isn't where it should be.

Incline Press

I can't give much advice on this.. I just came back to doing them after injury and am only doing 135. I activate my forearm, tricep and pectoral muscles while I'm doing this exercise and do it controlled.

To me.. if you are arching your back, it means you feel like you have to throw something other than the primary muscles into the exercise. Like others have said, this usually mean too high of weight. I have found it can also mean you aren't making the muscle do the work. Let me give an analogy. Its moving day. I can pick up a box with the sloppiest piece of shit form ever and carry it to the van. Or i can actively decide to squat down and pick it up with perfect form and walk it over. In the first example I just do what I think needs to be done, in this case move a box. In the second example I don't give a shit about the box while Im doing it because the whole time Im focused on what my legs are doing, is my core activated, am I driving up with my heels and butt, wheres my neck and head position, etc.

LatissimusaurousRex is offline Senior Member
    I've been under the impression that in the correct bench press there is a slight arch in the lower back.

Thanks for all the advice guys...looks like I'll be dropping the weight....even more:/ Gotta start (or start over) somewhere right?

Thread Information