Shredded1 is offline Total ★FAKE★ Banned

65% max heart rate for MAXAMIZING fatloss?

Just wondering what is the science/chemical pathways in which why 65% max heart rate is the best for fat loss compared to other heart rates?

Also, what is the best way to calculate your heart rate during cardio?

the big 1 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredded1 View Post
    Just wondering what is the science/chemical pathways in which why 65% max heart rate is the best for fat loss compared to other heart rates?

Also, what is the best way to calculate your heart rate during cardio?
    I read that anything above 65% of your max HR for extended periods of time can be aerobic to the body, which requires muscle tissue for energy to perform....this is good for heart and lung capacity, but not as good as low intensity (>65 max HR) cardio for fat loss...

If fat loss is your goal, low intensity for 30-45 minutes is best IMO, you should be able to hold a conversation and not get out of breath, but still get hot and sweaty... i take my fat burners and layer up with two hoodies before performing 30 mins on stationary bike every morning before breakfast, it works well....

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    ^^Whats the purpose of layering up with two hoodies? Never understood that one.

toothache is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    I agree..all that does is make you more sweaty and creates more laundry.

Blog Entries
    I was watching a video on bbing.com the other day, this guy was saying it basically increases thermogenesis within the body, im basically saying it makes you hotter and can help burn more fat during cardio...

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Thats completely false. It makes you hotter on the outside but its due to the two hoodies. Thermogenic products work by raising your bodies core temperature from within. In the other words your body is USING more energy to keep you running hotter. Think of your house, if its 100 degrees outside are you using more energy to keep it hot? But if it's 70 degrees outside and you turn the thermostat up to 100 degrees you are using quite a bit more energy. That's not a perfect analogy but cant think of a better one at the moment. Wearing two hoodies will not make you burn any extra calories. If nothing else it will cause you to tire early, impede performance and just increase your need for hydration. Unless you are 24 hours out from something and trying to cut weight it serves no purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by the big 1 View Post
    I read that anything above 65% of your max HR for extended periods of time can be aerobic to the body, which requires muscle tissue for energy to perform....this is good for heart and lung capacity, but not as good as low intensity (>65 max HR) cardio for fat loss...

If fat loss is your goal, low intensity for 30-45 minutes is best IMO, you should be able to hold a conversation and not get out of breath, but still get hot and sweaty... i take my fat burners and layer up with two hoodies before performing 30 mins on stationary bike every morning before breakfast, it works well....
    Explains it perfectly, no wonder I was loosing too much muscle doing HIT when on a keto diet. F*ck! I could tell i was wayyyyyy too flat even for a keto diet, and i was because i loosing muscle and not that much fat. Thank god for these forums. IDK what id do without the knowledge within them and the people who harbor it.
    Last edited by Shredded1; 06-24-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Thats completely false. It makes you hotter on the outside but its due to the two hoodies. Thermogenic products work by raising your bodies core temperature from within. In the other words your body is USING more energy to keep you running hotter. Think of your house, if its 100 degrees outside are you using more energy to keep it hot? But if it's 70 degrees outside and you turn the thermostat up to 100 degrees you are using quite a bit more energy. That's not a perfect analogy but cant think of a better one at the moment. Wearing two hoodies will not make you burn any extra calories. If nothing else it will cause you to tire early, impede performance and just increase your need for hydration. Unless you are 24 hours out from something and trying to cut weight it serves no purpose.
    x2, all it will do is make you sweat more, causing more water loss and possibly hindering performance if you become dehydrated. Not to mention it makes you look like a f*cking jackass on a 100 degree day. All in all, a loose loose it would be.

Blog Entries
    thanks for setting me straight on that one mate, goes to show that bullshit info is thrown around willy nilly these days on the web...

thanks for setting me straight on that one mate, goes to show that bullshit info is thrown around willy nilly these days on the web...
    Tell me about it bro, it sucks. So many people out there who just throw stuff on the internet with no background or proof whatsoever.

Blog Entries
    Tell me about it bro, it sucks. So many people out there who just throw stuff on the internet with no background or proof whatsoever.
    i suppose people always preach about things that work for THEM, as opposed to having evidence on the subject they are preaching about....

for example, mike mentzer claimed you only need 14 extra calories a day to gain wieght...?

i suppose people always preach about things that work for THEM, as opposed to having evidence on the subject they are preaching about....

for example, mike mentzer claimed you only need 14 extra calories a day to gain wieght...?
    true to that, just glad this forum exists. I cant even begin to explain how thankful I am. Anyways, so it's pretty clear now that I have been doing cardio at way too high of an intensity. I could have done less work and lost more fat aha, how ironic. It should also explain my weakness i was feeling during lifting. I'll keep you guys updated on the 65% max HR for fat loss.
    Last edited by Shredded1; 06-25-2010 at 08:18 PM.

Blog Entries
    true to that, just glad this forum exists. I cant even begin to explain how thankful I am. Anyways, so it's pretty clear now that I have been doing cardio at way too high of an intensity. I could have done less work and lost more fat aha, how ironic. It should also explain my weakness i was feeling during lifting. I'll keep you guys updated on the 65% max HR for fat loss.
    heres the sum to work that out....

The proper cardio for burning fat is done by staying in your target heart rate for fat burning which is 65-70% of your max heart rate for a period of 45-60 minutes. To figure this out you can use the following formula:

(220 – your age) * .65
    (220 – your age) * .7

heres the sum to work that out....

The proper cardio for burning fat is done by staying in your target heart rate for fat burning which is 65-70% of your max heart rate for a period of 45-60 minutes. To figure this out you can use the following formula:

(220 – your age) * .65
    (220 – your age) * .7
    yup, I already got the forumula, thanks man!

Stoked to try it out.

Thread Information