Ok, so this is my first thread on these forums, but I have been a lurker for awhile. My question is one that seems to be answered in a contradictory manner depending on who is answering it.

I'm 24 and have been seriously lifting for the past 2 years, before that it was very on an off. I am about 5'10 and 170 with around 8% BF. 2 years ago I was around 145 pounds with about 15% BF. My goals are to be well over 200lbs, however I'd like to stay defined, so I'd much rather go the bodybuilder route than the power-lifter route.

I'm a big fan of Arnold's book...however if I compare much of what has been said in that with what a lot of people on these forums and BB.com forums have to say...there are a lot of contradictions.

I am trying to figure out the best possible workout routine for what my goals are.

In Arnold's book he advocates in the "Advanced" and "Competition" programs to workout basically every single day and be on a 2-day split. So basically every other day you're doing the workout from 2 days ago. Essentially you're working out the ENTIRE body up to 3-4 times per week. Now I understand that I should NOT be following this, just for the simple fact that I have only been serious about weight training for around 2 years which by no means constitutes me as "advanced".

But lately I've been seeing on these forums and BB.com forums how it's much better to workout the whole body over a 7 day period, giving your CNS and muscles time to recover and rebuild.

But why is it that legendary bodybuilders such as Arnold and Franco were able to workout as often as they did and achieve their results....but yet everyone nowadays would scream "overtraining!" in a split second if they heard their workouts? I understand they were all on steroids ....but so are pretty much all pro bodybuilders today. And besides, even on steroids, rest is needed.

What I'm trying to figure out is really what should I be doing and what is better? I am wanting to put on mass and definition and I understand it will take hard work and time, but what is the proper way? A 2-day split? A 3-day split? A 7-day split?

Right now, based off of the majority of routines that I have been reading, I am going to be doing the following routine:

Monday - Chest (4 exercises, 4 sets each exercise) /Biceps (3 exercises, 4 sets each exercise)

Tuesday - Legs (5 or 6 exercises, 4 sets each exercise)

Wednesday - Off

Thursday - Shoulders (4 exercises, 4 sets each exercise)/Triceps (3 exercises, 4 sets each exercise)

Friday - Off

Saturday - Back (5 or 6 exercises, 4 sets each exercise)

Sunday - Off

Is this a decent routine? Should I be doing more/less sets for each exercise? According to Arnold's book it would probably be better to be working out far more often that the routine above....but with all the contradictions I don't know what's really better?

Any advice would help and any questions are certainly welcome. I apologize in advance for the long post, but I thank you if you read all of it and are willing to contribute.