goodlifting is offline Associate Member

Exclamation question on cardio

i do a 3-4 day split that varies from week to week.

5'6"
    170lbs
    12-13% bf

i've yet to incorporate any cardio into my split because i'm not sure how to go about it. 4 questions: how many days a week should i do cardio? and do i just do it on my non lifting days? should schedule the cardio days far away from leg days? should i keep my carb/fats the same on cardio days or should i lower them?

im bulking right now. pretty tough for me to gain weight as well. those are the reasons i've avoided cardio in hopes of putting on weight but let me know if that's retarded. with introducing cardio into my program i wish to continue putting on weight but lower the bf% that im training at. i wanna train at maybe 9-10% so cutting for a show won't be as painful. but i don't know if that's a bit low for bulking.

ton of questions but thanks fellas.
    Last edited by goodlifting; 08-05-2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: messed up

bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlifting View Post
    i do a 3-4 day split that varies from week to week.

5'6"
    170lbs
    12-13% bf

i've yet to incorporate any cardio into my split because i'm not sure how to go about it. 4 questions: how many days a week should i do cardio? and do i just do it on my non lifting days? should schedule the cardio days far away from leg days? should i keep my carb/fats the same on cardio days or should i lower them?

im bulking right now. pretty tough for me to gain weight as well. those are the reasons i've avoided cardio in hopes of putting on weight but let me know if that's retarded. with introducing cardio into my program i wish to continue putting on weight but lower the bf% that im training at. i wanna train at maybe 9-10% so cutting for a show won't be as painful. but i don't know if that's a bit low for bulking.

ton of questions but thanks fellas.
    I am right where you are at (but a lot older), I had never really done cardio but just started a few weeks ago. How many days, how long, all of that depends on what your goals are. You said you want to bulk, yet want to lose fat in the process. That can be done, but it will be very slowly trying to do 2 things at once.

Cardio away from leg days, if you are running yes. The day after you should be pretty sore so avoid that day. I use a stationary bike so I can do cardio the same day if I want at a easy pace.

How often? 30-45 minutes a few times a week, if you train 3-4 days a week just do the cardio on off days to keep your activity level steady so you can keep the same diet every day. Personally I am cutting and I do 45 min every day. Do it before you eat every morning, to burn the most fat possible when your glycogen stores are tapped out.

Carb fats, you need carbs to grow if you are "bulking" cutting them is not advisable. High protein, moderate carbs works for me. There are others here who have a lot more knowledge about different types of diets so maybe they can chime in.

If you are trying to put on weight you should avoid cardio, or up your calories. You say you can't gain any weight but you will at 22 if you keep working out and eating properly. I was 160 at 22, and I went up to 190 naturally at 31. I am 5'10 too so it's not like I put on weight easily.

With your build the size will come, and if you want to steadily lose fat while putting on muscle it can be done, but it is a very slow process.

im just worried about my bf getting higher bc it will make cutting that much more shitty when the time comes.

ive learned that body comp should primarily be manipulated through diet. but im hoping that cardio can help a bit too even when you're bulking.

so i should probably still avoid cardio since im bulking right now?

bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlifting View Post
    im just worried about my bf getting higher bc it will make cutting that much more shitty when the time comes.

ive learned that body comp should primarily be manipulated through diet. but im hoping that cardio can help a bit too even when you're bulking.

so i should probably still avoid cardio since im bulking right now?
    If the goal is to bulk then yes I would avoid cardio.

BigBuck6 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigslick7878 View Post
    If the goal is to bulk then yes I would avoid cardio.
    This does have some merit but I'd rather try to burn off some of that fat by hitting some HIIT right after your done lifting and you glycogen stores are depleted. This means that you will more than likely be burning fat for energy. Also, compound exercises like the squat, deadlift, lunge, barbell rows, etc use more muscles and burn more calories keep that in mind!

thanks for the input guys. i kinda figured that cardio might help with body comp but at the expense of some of the bulking process.

i recently went on a 20 mile hike in yosemite and i was dying the whole time. all of the skinny little girls in our group had to carry my ass most of the way and kept laughing at me . i could tell my cardiovascular endurance has be highly compromised by not doing cardio. so maybe the only reason to do cardio during a bulking cycle is to keep your heart strong but i ain't plannin on doing any hikes soon.

any other opinions?

Regular guy is offline Junior Member
    I'm in a different place than you and I enjoy endurance type activities: swimming, mountain biking, hiking, running.... My job also requires a higher level of endurance than most too. IMHO, if you adjust your diet the loss of gains/size will be minimized.

37yo mesomorph
    220lbs
    approx 15-14% bf
    6foot
    endorphine junky:-)

Thread Information