im9boss is offline Junior Member

Bench press and wearing gloves?

I was watching videos on youtube....of doods benching 405 and 495. I noticed NONE of the guys were wearing gloves. I've always benched with gloves for a few reasons but now i'm thinking i should try without atleast for a while....any insight? ( preferably from you guys that bench atleast 405...with or without gloves)
    Last edited by im9boss; 07-24-2010 at 10:32 AM.

-DedicateD- is offline Member
    How would gloves enhance a bench press? I could understand extra wrist support, but gloves?

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I bench by myself. Ever get a pinch when trying to re-rack the weights? (it was a sh1tty bench I got rid of years ago). A pinch can be quite severe! And ugly as it turns black. Some just like the feel. I use gloves when I ride also, as do most bikers. Partly for safety, partly cause they like the feel. Some think it gives a better grip.

-DedicateD- is offline Member
    I can understand the comfort and grip feel - I would assume someone who wears gloves would wear gloves for most of the exercises they do - not just heavy bench.

HawaiianPride. is offline AR's Think Tank
    Stopped wearing gloves about 6 years ago. Never went back. Metroflex and gloves don't go hand in hand, lol. I take pride in my rock hard calluses

im9boss is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by -DedicateD- View Post
    How would gloves enhance a bench press? I could understand extra wrist support, but gloves?
    i didn't specifically say enhance. i'm simply wondering why the 30 or 40 videos i watched of guys hitting or repping 405+ absolutely none of them wore gloves. there must be a reason. i was thinking grip and hand strength get developed better maybe...specific to bench...something along those lines...

Bigdog99 is offline Member
    I powerlift and have done so since the 90's and I have never worn gloves. Wraps and straps sometimes. Chalk always. Like Hawaiian.....I also take pride in my calluses !

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianPride. View Post
    Stopped wearing gloves about 6 years ago. Never went back. Metroflex and gloves don't go hand in hand, lol. I take pride in my rock hard calluses
    I do alot of handshaking with execs, CEO's, bankers, auditors..... I'm supposed to be an intellectual... don't want to blow my cover! =)

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    I do alot of handshaking with execs, CEO's, bankers, auditors..... I'm supposed to be an intellectual... don't want to blow my cover! =)
    Ha--same here.....I am in the corporate world as well....but I don't care!
    Last edited by Bigdog99; 07-24-2010 at 12:07 PM.

HawaiianPride. is offline AR's Think Tank
    Muahah. Nice.

jypoll is offline Member
    i have never worn gloves, prefer not to wear and never plan on wearing them, chalk will fix all your worries every time

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I have never worn a glove to lift in my life. If anything i would be more scared to drop the bar with a glove on.

I have always wondered why guys do it and often it is either a scrawny old man or a young guy in a cut off tshirt with a hat flexing in the mirror at 150 pounds.

Benching has never had any effect on my hands. It doesnt rub or anything. Not even when i bench over 40 pounds.

But at least seeing a guy with gloves on at the bench isnt as bad as the couple i have seen with their straps. I never understood what they are thinking a strap is going to do for them when they are pushing a weight up

Using straps while benching?? Really? They must be totally clueless!

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    Gloves = fail

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    If you have rough hands they'll be intimidated and know you are serious. No one is scared of a dude with woman hands.

LeroyB is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Gloves - just say no!
    Your skin toughens and you grip better over time.
    Chalk - YES

Focusmen is offline Associate Member
    first off theres no way gloves could inhance any lifts

call me a pu$$y i wear gloves....i love to feel on young womens soft smooth naked skin. and they dont like rough nasty hands. ill keep the gloves.

Regular guy is offline Junior Member
    I wear gloves after ripping off callus pads, use dermabond to seal it, and gloves to protect the dermabond till it heals over. Otherwise chalk and remember to sand the calluses down if you do kipling or fly style pullups.

zabster151 is offline Member
    chalk, all day

Ferdinand is offline Associate Member
    Without gloves and witha hard grip you activate more nerves and muscles thruout your entire arms/shoulders.

Also, how do you spell p u s s y in 3 words? Lifting with gloves!

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    I used to bench over 405lbs back in the day and alway wore gloves and still do.. i find them to be especially important if the grids on the bench have been wore done from excessive use as my palms get sweats and sometimes used to slide outwards durring heavy bench days. I never bothered with chalk, but i hear it works great. Furthermore, girls don't like calussses, even if you did get them from being a bad ass.

Ferdinand is offline Associate Member
    Not even powerlifters doing 600lbs in bench needs/use gloves, so ye probably really important for a BB!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Noles12 View Post
    I have always wondered why guys do it and often it is either a scrawny old man or a young guy in a cut off tshirt with a hat flexing in the mirror at 150 pounds.
    LoL, so true!!!

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Theres a lot of glove haters in this thread. So Im going to tell you why I wear gloves.

When I was in high school our substitute teacher one day was a former olympic powerlifter. He was kind enough to do a Q and A with the guys in the class. He described having to have surgery to remove his calluses because they had gone so deep they started to painfully fuse with the bone of the hand.

Now is anyone on this site lifting with the intensity of an olympic power lifter? I think a few guys are and I think they should watch the progression of their calluses because he made it sound really unpleasant having to have them surgically removed.

goodlifting is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrydrpepper View Post
    Theres a lot of glove haters in this thread. So Im going to tell you why I wear gloves.

When I was in high school our substitute teacher one day was a former olympic powerlifter. He was kind enough to do a Q and A with the guys in the class. He described having to have surgery to remove his calluses because they had gone so deep they started to painfully fuse with the bone of the hand.

Now is anyone on this site lifting with the intensity of an olympic power lifter? I think a few guys are and I think they should watch the progression of their calluses because he made it sound really unpleasant having to have them surgically removed.
    i have never heard of that happening. I just cut mine down with a razor blade when i feel like they're starting to rip. but i love how when people shake my hand they ask what the fvck is wrong with my hands. chicks dig it.

Thread Information