MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"

ADVICE/OPINIONS WANTED - proposed new work out routine

Okay, so i have been doing a 3 day split for the past year or so and think it is time i step it up a bit.. this is what I came up with.. Now i know i am working some muscles more then others.. but i only concentrate on one muscle group per week.. for the exception of lower back, abs, biceps and legs. My reasoning for this is that i feel lower back and abs can be worked twice a week since you are doing higher reps. And my excuse for doing legs twice is that i am concentrating on my quads/hams one day and my abductors/adductors the next.. But more importantly i am incorporating Dead Lifts into my workout. Which time after time i read that it is a crucial exercise, but i have not utilized them since college. I just want any opinions on if this is too much or if i should tweek anything.. if you think it is good, a simple thumbs up is appreciated.

I am looking to build more muscle mass

Sunday – OFF

Monday – Back & Bi’s
    3x8-12 Lateral Wide Grip Pull downs
    3x8-12 Sitting V-Grip Rows
    3x8-12 Standing T-Bar Rows (to failure)
    3x8-12 Preacher Curls
    3x8-12 Alternating Dumbbell Curls (to failure)

15-20 minutes of cardio

Tuesday - Legs & Lower Back
    3x8-10 Squats
    3x10-12 Leg Press
    3x12 Leg Extensions (to failure)
    3x12 Hamstring Curls (to failure)
    4x12 Calf Raises
    3x12-15 Lower Back Extensions

Wednesday – Chest & Abs
    4x8-10 Bench Press (to failure)
    3x8-12 Incline Bench Press on Smith Machine
    3x8-12 Decline Dumbbell Bench Press
    3x8-12 Cable Cross Over (to failure)
    3x15-20 Leg Raises (for abs)
    3x15-20 Weighted Abdominal Curls (to failure)

15-20 minutes cardio

Thursday – OFF

Friday - Shoulders, Bi’s & Tri’s
    3x16-20 Front/Side Alternating Dumbbell Raises
    4x8-10 Smith Machine Shoulder Press
    3x8-10 Shrugs (to failure)
    3x8-12 Rope Tricep Push downs
    3x8-12 Preacher Curls
    3x8-12 Weighted Dips (to failure)
    3x8-12 Isolated Dumbbell Preacher Curls (to failure)

15-20 minutes of cardio

Saturday – Legs, Forearms, Abs & Lower Back (light)
    4x8-12 Deadlifts
    3x8-12 Abductor Machine
    3x8-12 Adductor Machine
    3x8-12 Wrist Curls
    3x8-12 Leg Raises (for abs)
    3x15-20 Weighted Abdominal Curls
    3x15-20 Lower back extensions

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    I would alternate doing decline and incline bench each week. Doing all three pressing movements in the same workout is a bit overkill really. Also i would also up the cardio to at least 30min per session. You are not going to burn hard earned muscle if you do. Just unwanted fat and help keep your Cardiovascular system healthy.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    I would alternate doing decline and incline bench each week. Doing all three pressing movements in the same workout is a bit overkill really. Also i would also up the cardio to at least 30min per session. You are not going to burn hard earned muscle if you do. Just unwanted fat and help keep your Cardiovascular system healthy.
    i was thinking of doing something like that... instead of decline dumbell do incline dumbell and then the following week do decline barbell and decline flyes..

RE cardio, im working my way up to that.. i need to get my cardio up to par.. have only started doing it again recently and having a hardtime quiting smoking.

HawaiianPride. is offline AR's Think Tank
    I would replace Decline for another Incline or Flat movement. I've posted studies elsewhere on the subject debating the activation process between each angle and which is more effective. I would also replace the Smith for free weight. I've posted studies here as well discussing the comparison of Smith Vs. Free weight, and how it's removes your natural ROM, inhibiting your stabilization fibers. Lastly, I would substitute your choice of core movements for plank type movements or ball static supine bridges since your conventional ab exercises will eventually cause lower body cross syndrome via tight hip flexors.

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianPride. View Post
    I would replace Decline for another Incline or Flat movement. I've posted studies elsewhere on the subject debating the activation process between each angle and which is more effective. I would also replace the Smith for free weight. I've posted studies here as well discussing the comparison of Smith Vs. Free weight, and how it's removes your natural ROM, inhibiting your stabilization fibers. Lastly, I would substitute your choice of core movements for plank type movements or ball static supine bridges since your conventional ab exercises will eventually cause lower body cross syndrome via tight hip flexors.
    Thank you for your reply HP, your advice is much appreciated. just want to clarify a few things.

When you state that you would replace Decline for another incline, are you saying that I should not bother doing Decline at all? Or do you think it would suffice to do decline one week incline the other? Reason i incorporate Declines is that my upper chest is significantly larger than my lower chest, and i am trying to fill it out in my lower middle chest region.

I agree with you regarding Smith machine. I will do free weight and only use Smith as a substitue if i can not aquire a free bench at my gym.

Good advice regarding Core Training. I had not thought of that. For how long and for how many sets would you do those. i.e. the ball static supine bridges.. I assum three times for as long as i can, but I have not performed such an exercise before. Which do you find better.. the planks or the bridges??

Decline does serve a purpose, but horizontal movements have been proven to be more effective. However, this doesn't hold true to everyone especally those who base their ideas off their own personal experience. I would just take that into consideration.

Good choice on the free weight transition. All smith machines should be brought to a scrap metal center for recycling :]

I would incorporate both bridges and planks. There are various types of these movements, your best bet would be to youtube them or use google to get a broader idea.

BTW, if you want the studies I mentioned, I'll be happy to PM them.

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianPride. View Post
    BTW, if you want the studies I mentioned, I'll be happy to PM them.
    Please do.

i love youtube.. im looking forward to trying these new core techniques, thanks for the tip.

I'll keep them here for public view..

Smith Vs. Free Weight:
    "J Strength Cond Res. 2010 Mar;24(3):779-84.
    A comparison of muscle activation between a Smith machine and free weight bench press.
    Schick EE, Coburn JW, Brown LE, Judelson DA, Khamoui AV, Tran TT, Uribe BP.

Exercise Physiology Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology, California State University, Fullerton, California, USA.
    Abstract
    The bench press exercise exists in multiple forms including the machine and free weight bench press. It is not clear though how each mode differs in its effect on muscle activation. The purpose of this study was to compare muscle activation of the anterior deltoid, medial deltoid, and pectoralis major during a Smith machine and free weight bench press at lower (70% 1 repetition maximum [1RM]) and higher (90% 1RM) intensities. Normalized electromyography amplitude values were used during the concentric phase of the bench press to compare muscle activity between a free weight and Smith machine bench press. Participants were classified as either experienced or inexperienced bench pressers. Two testing sessions were used, each of which entailed either all free weight or all Smith machine testing. In each testing session, each participant's 1RM was established followed by 2 repetitions at 70% of 1RM and 2 repetitions at 90% of 1RM. Results indicated greater activation of the medial deltoid on the free weight bench press than on the Smith machine bench press. Also, there was greater muscle activation at the 90% 1RM load than at the 70% 1RM load. The results of this study suggest that strength coaches should consider choosing the free weight bench press over the Smith machine bench press because of its potential for greater upper-body muscular development.

PMID: 20093960 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]"

Variations of Bench Press

"Effects of Variations of the Bench Press Exercise on the EMG Activity of Five Shoulder Muscles
    Barnett, Chris; Kippers, Vaughan; Turner, Peter
    The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research November 1995 - Volume 9 - Issue 4

Abstract
    This experiment investigated the effects of varying bench inclination and hand spacing on the EMG activity of five muscles acting at the shoulder joint. Six male weight trainers performed presses under four conditions of trunk inclination and two of hand spacing at 80% of their predetermined max. Preamplified surface EMG electrodes were placed over the five muscles in question. The EMG signals during the 2-sec lift indicated some significant effects of trunk inclination and hand spacing. The sternocostal head of the pectoralis major was more active during the press from a horizontal bench than from a decline bench. Also, the clavicular head of the pectoralis major was no more active during the incline bench press than during the horizontal one, but it was less active during the decline bench press. The clavicular head of the pectoralis major was more active with a narrow hand spacing. Anterior deltoid activity tended to increase as trunk inclination increased. The long head of the triceps brachii was more active during the decline and flat bench presses than the other two conditions, and was also more active with a narrow hand spacing. Latissimus dorsi exhibited low activity in all conditions.
    Link: http://www.usp.br/eef/efb/efb222/jcserrao/peito.pdf "

good read. I am attaching a diagram of the Pectorial muscles so others can refer to what part of the pecs the study is refering to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ADVICE/OPINIONS WANTED - proposed new work out routine-pectoralis-major2.jpg  

Blog Entries
    I second the disuse of smith machine. In my opinion its really only good for toe raises and shoulder shrugs. Everything else is pretty worthless basically.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

BG

OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Dan111 is offline Associate Member
    You said that "i feel lower back and abs can be worked twice a week since you are doing higher reps"

Your lower back muscles are the slowest recovering muscle group in the body, if you're hitting them twice a week it might lead into overtraining. Just my opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan111 View Post
    You said that "i feel lower back and abs can be worked twice a week since you are doing higher reps"

Your lower back muscles are the slowest recovering muscle group in the body, if you're hitting them twice a week it might lead into overtraining. Just my opinion though.
    yeah, i am going to change that into core training so it is not specifically targeting just my lower back. if it gets sore i will back off, but i have not had any issues thus far with my back recovery, but will definitley keep an eye on it. last thing anyone needs is a bad back.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan111 View Post

I agree with this too. The low back gets hit everytime you do squats or deadlifts or practically any standing exercise.

This is probably the only low back exercise I would add in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAqZnu-lEhg

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    I agree with this too. The low back gets hit everytime you do squats or deadlifts or practically any standing exercise.

This is probably the only low back exercise I would add in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAqZnu-lEhg
    Yeah, agreed. I am only doing lowerback on those days that squats or deadlifts are being done as to not train it more than twice a week.

I like that Briddog exercise, another solid core training exercise. Thanks for the tip.

Thread Information