Guerilla777 is offline New Member

over-training much?

21 y/o
    5'11.25" during last physical<--yes i hold on to that 1/4 inch lol
    190-195lbs.
    about 16-17%bf
    working out for about 9 months

So for the first 5-6 months i had phenomenal gains beginning at 170 and reaching about 195 with how i split up my week but in the past 3-4 months i have had some difficulty making progress in muscle mass, if any at all aside from slightly lowering my bf and increasing strenth. From what I've read here, it might be that I am overtraining now that I have made those initial gains. this is how I split up my week:

Mon./Thur chest + tri

Tue./Fri back + bi +forearms

Wed./Sat. shoulders + legs + traps

I have no problem with intensity or reps or changing up exercises and my diet is fine, could be a bit healthier, but has enough protein/carbs/fat for growth. I love the gym even though I am pretty new to bb obviously so I could always use advice or constructive criticism as I think that I might be over-doing it in the gym.

newb23 is offline Junior Member
    i have this same question, i have been told to go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week, working out each muscle group once a week, but then i looked up Schwarzeneggers routine and he worked each muscle group out two or three times a week, i know he is a pro bb but i still would like to know how far until overtraining, i feel once a week per muscle group is light, but i am not the expert

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    Quote Originally Posted by newb23 View Post
    i have this same question, i have been told to go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week, working out each muscle group once a week, but then i looked up Schwarzeneggers routine and he worked each muscle group out two or three times a week, i know he is a pro bb but i still would like to know how far until overtraining, i feel once a week per muscle group is light, but i am not the expert
    you would only do it twice a week if you do a light day one day and a heavy another day.. never do two heavy days the same week..

ok thanks, i believe that is what Arnold did if i remember correctly

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    if you aren't getting stronger/bigger than you are overtraining. you wil notice you will not be able to perfoprm as many reps etc...

Cousinbutch is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by newb23 View Post
    Arnolds training methods work for about .1% of people. For the average person his routines are complete joke.

Quote Originally Posted by MACHINE5150 View Post
    you would only do it twice a week if you do a light day one day and a heavy another day.. never do two heavy days the same week..
    '

ok thats interesting yea i was doing heavy both days or high reps both days. i'll change up my frequency i just want to make sure I'm not under-training

Cousinbutch is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerilla777 View Post
    '

ok thats interesting yea i was doing heavy both days or high reps both days. i'll change up my frequency i just want to make sure I'm not under-training
    Its generally better to consistently under-train than ever over-train. Look into Dorian Yates approach to bodybuilding, he seems to have a mid-ground between pure HIT and volume that a lot of people get good results from.

butch thanks for the info i will deff look into it. Guerilla i feel you, it seems like i am undertraining when i do it only once a week, but i guess we can try it and see how the results are

yea I'm going to look up Yates' approach and try it out or at the very least try to hit each muscle group once a week. I obviously am over-training its time to change that

Thread Information