Hsheer is offline Junior Member

My Calfs are stronger than my body

I've started training my legs one ago. Earlier i was training my upper body only. Now I'm noticing that my calfs are much stronger than my body I don't know why maybe because of the way i walk and i can never train them to failure ?

I'm almost skinny (69 kg - 11% Fat - 175 cm). I've tried the machine but the weight was not heavy enough so I've switched to smith barbell (80 kg each side) my back hurt like hell and i can't handle the weight but still can't get to calf failure (with trainer support) even the trainer was surprised !!

Tried one leg ? and my legs were shaking and i felt like my knees are gonna explode

What to do ? do you recommend to do medium weight with high reps until failure ?

my goal is gaining muscle size
    Last edited by Hsheer; 09-16-2010 at 03:44 PM.

Andror is offline New Member
    You might like to try the leg press, or a leg press machine.

These can be loaded up with tons of weight, and isolate the calves effectively.

The regular leg press is, typically, left in the locked position and, from a legs-straight position, push the toe area to gain a slight lift, flexing the calves. The whole movement is really only a couple of inches.

I like to pause for a second at the top. Another thing that you can do is place your feet so that the heels are hanging from the bottom of the plate, and only the toes and front part of the foot are on the plate. This way, you can gain a greater range of motion with the movement, and get a better stretch.

As for correct rep range, many people say higher is better for calves, so I aim for 15-20. You will know when you have hit the sweet spot when you experience a distinct burning in the calves, quite unlike anything else really!

Good luck!

I'm almost skinny (69 kg - 11% Fat - 175 cm). I've tried the machine but the weight was not heavy enough so I've switched to smith barbell (80 kg each side) my back hurt like hell and i can't handle the weight but still can't get to calf failure (with trainer support) even the trainer was surprised !!
    By the machine i meant leg press machine, and in this gym we don't have leg press or calfs machines

Andror is offline New Member
    Hmm, I faced similar limitations at the small gym I started out at...Unfortunately, the only solution was moving to a bigger, better equipped gym.

What types of numbers are you achieving in terms of reps on the smith machine? Certainly, high reps aren't a problem with stimulating the calves.

Have you tried doing it standing on a block of wood or similar while on the smith machine? The additional range of motion might better help to reach failure.

our gym is the biggest and the most expensive gym in my area, but the problem is that it's not dedicated to bodybuilding it's more specialized in fitness and well being. and already i have one year membership with them.

in the smith i've done 12 reps with the plates and stopped because of the back pain. I think my only solution is medium weight with high repetition till failure. or use super sets to reach failure

Thread Information