timguyperson is offline Junior Member

Isolation Exercises For Forearms?

I was just wondering if you actually need to do any isolation exercises for your forearms?

My forearms are long so they look skinny in comparison to the rest of my arms, and I currently don't do any forearm exercises. I figured that they get a fair bit of workout already from simply gripping the weights with the rest of my lifts (especially on deadlifts etc..)

Am I wrong? Should I be doing specific forearm exercises?

HawaiianPride. is offline AR's Think Tank
    You can if you want, but you are absolutely right in thinking the forearms get taxed with other movements.

I stopped doing them a while ago, but they did improve overall grip.

latitude is offline New Member
    shrugs, deadlift, pull up, row (just any back exercise) works my forearms like crazy and they start to pop out like what.

though i think if anything it is the outer extensors that don't get as much work as the bigger inner muscles, at least it feels this way?

Kaytime is offline Associate Member
    theres this one exercise id probly do here n there. you go to a bench press and load on some weight then start rolling the bar with ur hands and keep doing it. very taxing on the forarms but its improved my forearms. i dont do them no more because i like to keep everything balanced out

mario_ps2 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaytime View Post
    theres this one exercise id probly do here n there. you go to a bench press and load on some weight then start rolling the bar with ur hands and keep doing it. very taxing on the forarms but its improved my forearms. i dont do them no more because i like to keep everything balanced out
    Farmers walk with 100 pound dumbbells as long as you can and reverse EZ-curl bar.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    I work them whenever I feel like it, which is not very often.

But, wrist curls, reverse barbell curls, farmers walk, hand grippers, etc...

kiki123 is offline Associate Member
    Relative to the forearm flexors your extensors hardly get used.. I learned off someone on this board to try these, everything you do with dumbells/barbells will work the flexors but what about the muscles that open the hand??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMCTDIyee60
    Last edited by kiki123; 09-11-2010 at 09:31 PM.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    I work them once per week, there is nothing like big thick forearms, wrist curls,reverse curls and hammer curls

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    for some reason my right forearm is about 1 in larger than my left.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    I thi k u shud isolate them, big 4arms look great

They are the only bodypart that is visible most of the time, so get them freaky

nath78 is offline Associate Member
    i isolate mine,my forearms are insane!!my body overall is ok nothing special but my forarms look like clubs of meat,i think its a real good muscle to focus on looks great aswell..i place my wrists on the edge of the bench and curl a bar using my forarms only(wrist movements) i also use the pulley bar in a bicep curl pos but backs of hands facing upwards half way and then rotate wrists uising forarm only..

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nath78 View Post
    i also use the pulley bar in a bicep curl pos but backs of hands facing upwards half way and then rotate wrists uising forarm only..
    Somebody please explain what Nath78 is saying here?

I can't tell.. "pulley bar".. is that the one hand handle on a cable at the bottom? Or is it like .. a preacher curl machine that accepts plates type thing?

Forearms I like reverse grip 21s with preacher curl bar done strict feel the movement, followed by flat bench wrist curls with straight bar both positions regular and reverse

kiki123 is offline Associate Member
    Yes I'd like to know what a "pulley bar" is aswell

I'd also like to know what a preacher curl bar is. Do you mean EZ bar? Are these 21's done on a preacher bench or standing? They obviously couldn't be done seated, if you think about the bottom portion of the curl.
    Last edited by kiki123; 09-17-2010 at 01:39 AM.

Thread Information