MotoLifter is offline Senior Member

Need help with my deads

I need help with some exercises that will improve my explosion out of the hole when doing deadlifts.

I had been trining lockouts to get past a sticking point i had and it worked but now it seems the bottom 1/3 of the movement has suffered. It could be cause im tall but i dont like excuses.

What are some good exercises to help with that first part of the dead?

And whats the fckin story with sumo deads. i tried afew today and they feel REALLY fckin strange. is there a benefit to them over conventional deads?

Thanks guys

Moto

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Hey Moto,

I have also come to a full stop in my deads, my sticking point is he beginning on the lift.

I have not done these, but I am going to start shortly...just resting some tendon issues.

Deads off a box, so you are going beyond the normal range, pulling through a greater range of motion helps pass through sticking points....I have read that a box or plate combo at 4" in height is best.
    Last edited by terraj; 08-20-2010 at 07:29 PM.

BigBuck6 is offline Associate Member
    You use your glutes primarily in the first 1/3 of the deadlift so I suggest beefing them up. Reverse lunges gave me a big old booty.

jypoll is offline Member
    the best way to fix that is to do them off a box then when u go back to even ground it will be more comfortable

theramp is offline New Member
    go to using 25s instead of 45s (if you can fit it on the bar) so you have to start from a lower position.

i love sumos. they hit entirely different muscles than reg deads to me. sumos are more on my quads and groin, almost no hamstring at all.

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jypoll View Post
    the best way to fix that is to do them off a box then when u go back to even ground it will be more comfortable
    x2...box deadlifts are bad ass.

G.P. is offline Junior Member
    As far as your question about sumos, try splitting it up for variation. I do deads twice a week, 1st workout I do standard, 2nd workout I do sumo. Same with squats, I do twice a week & switch up between olympic style & powerlift style.
    If you split it up & do the box deads as well like others are saying you're going to work a lot more muscles in different ways & power through your sticking points.

Thread Information