Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By marcus300
  • 1 Post By marcus300

Thread: Training Routine Critique

gainz4dayz17 is offline New Member

Training Routine Critique

Hello all,

After my first BB show it apparent that, in order to bump up in weight class, I would need to get bigger and stronger. I was wondering if I could get some constructive criticism towards my routine. The basis of it is around the Max OT style training. I changed it up a little bit to where i'm doing 4 sets of 6 on my compound movements, for the same volume as a 3x8 but with heavier weight obviously, hoping it will increase strength and size. Then for my accessory movements 3x8 with shorter rest intervals.

Thanks!

-Gainz

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You haven't really outlined your workout other then the mentioned 6x4 rep scheme. Gaining size involves eating, rest, and of course a change in your program designed to gain strength and avoid adaptation. A good straying point is to change your first compound movement to a 5x5 or 4x4 style of training but there are lots of other things involved in that style of training. Make sure you get plenty of rest between sets if that is going to be your max effort exercise.

My diet isn't what i'm concerned about; I know it is crucial to gaining strength/size. I have implemented my diet for almost a full calender year now. Here is an example of my chest workout yesterday:

Flat bench 4x6 2 mins rest between sets
    incline DB 4x6 2 mins rest between sets
    Cable cross overs 3x8 super set w/ bodyweight dips to failure 1 min rest between sets
    flat bench db fly's 3x8 1 min rest between sets

I also hit chest twice a week. Same basic routine but the 2nd time i hit barbell incline first and flat db bench second

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    And how is it working out for you?
    Are you making gains?
    what are your stats?
    whats the full routine?

i just started this "Max OT" style about a week ago. Have been bulking for about 8 weeks and put on 10 pounds. A lot of it is muscle. Still lean from my comp with tricep/quad striations.

Stats:
    5'8" 23 years old
    ~160, bodybuilding for a little over a year but starting with weights in middle school ~10 years ago
    around 8-10% bf

Macros:
    250 protein
    350 carb
    100 fat

bench -230
    squat -275
    dead -315

Split:
    Monday- Chest
    Tuesday- Back/bi
    Wednesday- Shoulder/tri
    Thursday- Legs
    Friday- Chest/tri
    Saturday-Back/bi
    Sunday-Shoulders
    Last edited by gainz4dayz17; 11-11-2014 at 04:04 PM. Reason: added macros

Quote Originally Posted by gainz4dayz17 View Post
    i just started this "Max OT" style about a week ago. Have been bulking for about 8 weeks and put on 10 pounds. A lot of it is muscle. Still lean from my comp with tricep/quad striations.

Stats:
    5'8" 23 years old
    ~160, bodybuilding for a little over a year but starting with weights in middle school ~10 years ago
    around 8-10% bf

Macros:
    250 protein
    350 carb
    100 fat

bench -230
    squat -275
    dead -315

Split:
    Monday- Chest
    Tuesday- Back/bi
    Wednesday- Shoulder/tri
    Thursday- Legs
    Friday- Chest/tri
    Saturday-Back/bi
    Sunday-Shoulders
    If you have only just started this routine stick with it and monitor yourself over the next 3 months. Being in post competition phase your going to be in a highly building phase anyway so enjoy the ride and keep pushing yourself in the gym and make sure your diet is in order.

If things don't progress like you want them look at something more basic to add further muscle to your body.
    gainz4dayz17 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    If you have only just started this routine stick with it and monitor yourself over the next 3 months. Being in post competition phase your going to be in a highly building phase anyway so enjoy the ride and keep pushing yourself in the gym and make sure your diet is in order.

If things don't progress like you want them look at something more basic to add further muscle to your body.
    Thanks for the input, Marcus! Are there any programs your would recommend for adding strength to compound lifts as well as size? As a back up in case this program doesn't workout as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by gainz4dayz17 View Post
    Thanks for the input, Marcus! Are there any programs your would recommend for adding strength to compound lifts as well as size? As a back up in case this program doesn't workout as intended.
    Ive personally had great success with HIT and I've also transformed many clients with similar routines. Check out this thread it will give you an idea regarding HIT but what you should do is try many different ones and monitor your progress and see which one suits you better for growth and the goals your looking for.

Learn how to train - High Intesnity Training
    gainz4dayz17 likes this.

If you also have time to read a whole thread I'd advice you to read this http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-l...ary%2A%2A.html This will educate you and give you the tools to transform yourself into a freak of nature if your willing to out in the hard work..

Thread Information