shadowlid is offline Associate Member

How to run for cardio?

I got my diet figured out and im wanting to make sure im doing my cardio right.

In the other thread they said to run to your anaerobic threshold constantly.

How do you do this. I run til my legs burn to much or run til i feel like im about to puke, cant breath etc. Then i walk at a fast pace for a little bit then run again. I did 9.4 miles 2 days ago and 4.2 miles yesterday. And my legs are burning so bad i cant stand it.

I just want to burn fat to the best of my ability.

Thanks in advance

Shadow

tjax03 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowlid View Post
    I got my diet figured out and im wanting to make sure im doing my cardio right.

In the other thread they said to run to your anaerobic threshold constantly.

How do you do this. I run til my legs burn to much or run til i feel like im about to puke, cant breath etc. Then i walk at a fast pace for a little bit then run again. I did 9.4 miles 2 days ago and 4.2 miles yesterday. And my legs are burning so bad i cant stand it.

I just want to burn fat to the best of my ability.

Thanks in advance

Shadow

I am going to assume that you want to maximize fat loss while minimizing muscle loss. If that is correct, it sounds to me like you may be running with a bit too much intensity. The anaerobic threshold for most people is a fairly fast pace. You are basically trying to tread the line between aerobic and anaerobic exercise. However while running at this pace will get you lean, you will probably also loose muscle. I would suggest running at a pace which keeps your heart at 60-65% of its maximum rate. This is the optimum fat burning range for most people. There are formulas you can use to calculate your max which depends on your age. Running at this pace should be fairly comfortable to do. You should not be gasping for air, given that you are in decent cardiovascular shape. If you want to make the most of your cardio sessions, I would suggest trying to run first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. If you are really concerned about muscle loss, you may take some BCAA's before this fasted running.

Thread Information