Dan111 is offline Associate Member

Number of reps per set for legs

To my understanding it's generally understood and agreed upon that a range of 8-12 reps per set is optimal for muscle growth. What about legs though? Seeing as they're a large muscle group I've also heard/read that the number of reps for legs should be higher, more like between 12-20.

So what kind of rep range for legs have you guys found that works best for you? I understand everyone is different and different things work better on some people than others. But as a general rule of thumb, is it better to have a higher rep range for legs, or is it just as good to stick to 8-12?

Thanks!

sean_holland is offline Associate Member
    I go between 12-15 for legs as opposed to 8-12 for other body parts.

I find I get better results and a better pump from a slightly lighter weight and a few more reps per set.

Dan111 is offline Associate Member
    Just got back from working out legs and tried higher reps and I definitely agree with you, felt like I got a better workout and pump than usual.

Anyone else have any input or opinions?

tjax03 is offline Associate Member
    For legs I like to start heavier (after warming up) and do sets of 4-8 reps. After this I take off some weight and go for sets of 15-20. I have been making good progress in both strength and size with this approach.

BigBuck6 is offline Associate Member
    I use lower reps in the 3-7 range for compound movements and higher reps in the 9-18 range for isolation, prefatigue, and burn out sets.

mario_ps2 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan111 View Post
    To my understanding it's generally understood and agreed upon that a range of 8-12 reps per set is optimal for muscle growth. What about legs though? Seeing as they're a large muscle group I've also heard/read that the number of reps for legs should be higher, more like between 12-20.

So what kind of rep range for legs have you guys found that works best for you? I understand everyone is different and different things work better on some people than others. But as a general rule of thumb, is it better to have a higher rep range for legs, or is it just as good to stick to 8-12?

Thanks!
    I would do 2-3 sets of 5 to 8 reps and ONE final set for 20 reps with 80% percent of your max..

maxdose is offline Junior Member
    I like to spilt my leg routine into 2 exercises heavy, and 2 moderate with 15+ reps.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    A 20 rep set of squats with a weight that truly challenges you to get the last 5-8 reps will be one of the most brutal and growth producing sets you will ever do.

crete is offline Banned
    4-5 range works best for me.

Thread Information