Thread: deadlift

bigz1017 is offline New Member

deadlift

how often should one dead lift to increase 1RM?

i have read a lot of garbage about different dead lifting tricks but most of it sounds bs to me

does this split work or is it going to be hard for me to increase my deadlift?
    chest/bis
    legs
    rest
    delts/tris
    back/deadlift
    rest

ps. i am looking to primarily increase dead lift strength im not too worried about squat

also is there any deadlift program that would work pretty good? i have read the coans/phillips program and it looks good
    Last edited by bigz1017; 09-14-2010 at 07:42 PM.

goodlifting is offline Associate Member
    have you tried any programs and had success?

jypoll is offline Member
    I deadlift once a week, and I never do 1rm because it's unnecessary, but doing 5 rm will increase your 1 rm

BigBuck6 is offline Associate Member
    I wouldn't suggest deadlifting more than once a week and I think that day of rest right after is a good idea. As far as one rep max I also would suggest going under 3 reps on the deadlift unless you really know what your doing and your form is right on.

Now to increase your deadlift...I was given a tip from a powerlifting buddy that a surefire way is to place a clip in between each plate on the bar and intern distancing the weight from the center. Obviously, your heavy and best sets may pose a problem with this but on warm up sets and so forth I personally like the technique. My deadlift seems to be more explosive as a result, it may be all in my head though.

The_Irish_Dave is offline Junior Member
    I increased my 1rm for dead lift by simply doing pyramid sets. Start off with 5 or 6 and work your way down to 1 or 2 increasing weight as you go. Mine shot up a lot because you basically get your body used to lifting a heavier weight and the next time it's not so bad as before. I only deadlifted once every 10 days or so. That's what worked for me anyway.

Stephen73ta is offline Associate Member
    I like to do deadlifts on leg day and back day. I never go less then reps of 5 though. Usually 4-5 sets.

kelevra is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigz1017 View Post
    how often should one dead lift to increase 1RM?

i have read a lot of garbage about different dead lifting tricks but most of it sounds bs to me

does this split work or is it going to be hard for me to increase my deadlift?
    chest/bis
    legs
    rest
    delts/tris
    back/deadlift
    rest

ps. i am looking to primarily increase dead lift strength im not too worried about squat

also is there any deadlift program that would work pretty good? i have read the coans/phillips program and it looks good

I love my deads and squats so I have done my split as follows. Kinda similar to yours.
    Mon-Back
    Tues-Chest
    Wed-legs
    Thr-bi tri
    Fri-shldrs
    OFF
    OFF
    Without saying DUH, I think the entire body needs to be in best shape before 1RM deads. Places a lot of stress on smaller muscle like Bi’s. Have known some fellers who have torn Bi’s doing deads heavy. I like to pyramid down with about 2-3 warm up sets, to 2-3 sets of 2-4 reps. I like to do mine slow and controlled though. No banging for me. Strong controlled reps.
    Height: 6,3
    Weight: 275
    BF%: 99
    Cycle Exp: rookie
    PCT Knowledge: lots of reading
    Training Exp: 15 years
    Diet: ?

DeepBreath is offline New Member
    I did the 5x5 workout from stronglifts for a while and had pretty good success with it, focuses on strength training heavily. Squats are performed on each workout and you mentioned you aren't much on them, not sure if you could substitute.

mario_ps2 is offline Associate Member
    exactly... doing 1 rep is useless unless you are into power lifting competition. just stay with 6 reps and go as high as 15 reps to really pump some blood into the muscles..

Thread Information