tcook is offline Associate Member

Arrow best reputitions for building muscle and size ??

i always get confused on this subject. i ask around down the gym. some say 6 reps others say 12 reps so on so on. at the moment my goal is size so what is the best rep range to go for ?? is it 10-12 or 6-8 ??
    cheers chaps

Stephen73ta is offline Associate Member
    hypertrophy is reached through 8-14 reps most say 10-12. I'm not sure how I feel about it though, because before I really started learning about how muscles worked and target rep ranges I did sets 3x8 on almost everything and saw great results. Now I typically due a 12, 10, 8, 6 style workout for most body parts and I like it too. To each his own!

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    typically lower reps are for strength higher reps are for size.. as a rule of thumb.. but it varies from person to person as Stephen stated..

stpete is offline Banned
    I prefer 4-6 rep range w/ a lot of dumbells. I saw great improvement in my bench when using Hammer Strength Incline and Decline using Negative Reps(heavy) at the end of a set. For instance, go heavy....In the 4-6 rep range, then have your partner help you force out 3-4 negatives. If you find the right weight, it'll kick your ass.
    Good luck...

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    8-12 reps for upper body, 12-15 for lower. As always the quality of the exercise has more of an impact on the end result. Tempo has as much to do with size as the number of reps. 6 perfect form reps to failure will produce better results than 12 sloppy, the rep range is where failure occurs, not when you choose to stop because you counted to that number.

funkymonk is offline Associate Member
    I respond better to lower reps and higher weight. Generally speaking, I'll do 5x5 on the big 3 and go for 8-10 reps on all other exercises.

Thread Information